ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (18/36) > >>

Gwen7:
someone new using linux this week
-Gwen7 (March 04, 2012, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
That is to be seen, might be next week or even next year ;D
-Ath (March 04, 2012, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

oh that's good! :-))

40hz:
someone new using linux this week
-Gwen7 (March 04, 2012, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
That is to be seen, might be next week or even next year ;D
-Ath (March 04, 2012, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

oh that's good! :-))

-Gwen7 (March 04, 2012, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Matters not. I'm not the evangelist I used to be about this. And I never was much of one to begin with.

But figure it this way - whatever we ultimately do end up using ten years from now will bear little resemblance to what we're currently using. So my only real concern is that whatever we're using opens doors and possibilities for us, promotes innovation, and offers choice.

Beyond that I don't care what it's called or who makes it - although I do have my druthers. (I'm only human.) :P
-----

@Gwen7 - nice to see you back around. Not enough women participants IMO.

Gwen7:
^ who is to say we aren't around? i'm a regular lurker here.  maybe we women folk have all sorts of deep discussions about what goes on here you're not privy to...ha! bet you never considered that did you? (i'm only teasing!)(maybe.)

Carol Haynes:
BTW, I thought they (canon) all had a chip on the cartridge now?
-tomos (March 04, 2012, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably true (my machine is a couple of years old). Chipping probably has an advantage - not just making Canon more money by forcing people to buy original ink. I have seen a lot of printheads killed by third party cheap ink (and have managed to get some working again but have been shocked at the amount of crap I managed to wash out of them).

What I mean by electronics is the printhead being included in every cartridge like many manufacturers do. I suppose it has the advantage of a new printhead each time but it is inevitably more expensive.

xtabber:
Canon was the manufacutrer for the engine in HP Laser printers for many years (possibly still are). As a trade-off for the business, they agreed to sell only printers that did not support HP's PCL and Adobe's PostScript directly.  That was a long time ago and that agreement may no longer hold, but Canon printers still seem to go their own way.

I do like Canon best for inkjet color printing, but I do very little of that, so when I do, it is cost effective for me to have color images printed elsewhere.

For laser printing, I have been a Brother fan for many years now. Even the cheapest Brother printers are invariably reliable, even for duplex printing (which I do a lot of). They also generally cost less to buy and operate than most others for low and medium volume printing.

I used to like Canon for MFC devices, but now prefer Brother there too. My current Brother DCP-8080DN is by far the best MFC I've ever worked with. Brother's networking software is superb for both printing and scanning (across a Windows network, anyway, I haven't tried it on Linux) and it provides both a legal-sized flatbed (essential for me) and a fast auto document feeder. all for less than $350, which is what a standalone scanner with similar capabilities would cost me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version