ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (4/36) > >>

wraith808:
And maybe a complete transition isn't the right idea.  Perhaps it should be a gentle expansion of my computing habits.  I'll just add it to my ecosystem.  Use it as my second computer, or backup computer, or media server.  Heck, if I can learn how to set up a decent file server easily, that's worth it right there.
-superboyac (February 29, 2012, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

From my experiences, I'd suggest this.  I started trying a Linux transition years ago using flavors of SUSE.  Though I found it an interesting exercise, and had it pretty much in the setup that you talk about- on my server, in a VM, and on a throwaway machine, I found myself transitioning them out as I came to an interesting conclusion:

Please be aware that Linux is not perfect either.  It does give you the opportunity to get very involved in the details of your OS, but it has it's own pitfalls*.
-Rover (February 28, 2012, 11:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

And I'd even extend that to his *'d note.  I use Linux more in a server environment also- but it has its ups and downs, which is why I maintain two servers. ;)

Have fun.. and you'll definitely learn a lot!

MilesAhead:
@40hz The "attitude that holds Linux back" is not Linux that is Linux. It's Linux that tries to be Windows. It's like calling elevator music "Smooth Jazz" to make it seem fashionable. To compete with Windows for Windows users is futile. Linux needs to be something different. The Windows-alike distro, in my opinion, is for those who must use something Linux when they don't want to. Therefore the rest of the OS environment is kept as painless as possible. In such cases the user should try to run the needed app in a VM in Windows. If the user really wants Linux, he/she should be prepared to learn some scripting.  The more solid the distro the better. I've seen plenty of people crying on forums about broken Mint. I haven't seen anyone crying about broken Mandriva.

Unless I'm running a business on the Linux distro I have no need to buy support or have any interest in the status of the company.  The package tool is standardized. I don't think APT is going away.

My solution to "transitioning" is have a slow machine with Windows networked to a fast machine with Linux.  You will want to bail when frustrated with Linux because you already know how to do it in Windows. But, you will want to use the faster machine.  That will ameliorate the impulse to jump to the Windoze machine at the first glitch.

All these graphs, opinion polls and financial statements are a farce if you're not running a business on the distro and paying for support.  The only support you need is help from more experienced users and reading the books that tell you what you need to know. If you want easy stick with what you already know.

Edit: from the beginning I thought the effort to dumb down Linux was a mistake.  Not the effort to make a simple fool proof install and rock solid desktop. To expand the Linux market by dumbing it down is itself dumb. It won't work.  Apple already has that market covered. Click to use, don't get confused. If you just want to be a "user" Linux is really making life tough on yourself.

superboyac:
If I'm being honest, my big fear with Linux is the scripting.  I'm really not that interested in learning scripting because it's fun or it will help me grow as a person.  I want to get things done as easily as possible.  i think 40hz knows that about me, that's why he is recommending Mint.  I also don't think the issue is getting Linux to be like Windows in an aesthetic sense.  The idea is that Windows is easy because it has buttons and gui things that are easy to use.  Scripting is not easy.  Building kernals is not easy.  Clicking a button is easy.  Knowing which button to click is less easy, but still easy.

My goal for using Linux is to be able to do things more easily than if I stick to Windows.  If I can do the same in Windows more easily than in Linux, what's the point?  Again, I'm not doing this for the love of it.  I feel this notion always gets lost with those like me who ask for advice when transitioning to Linux.

And this doesn't mean I'm opposed to learning scripting.  But it's not something I want to do every day.  I'll put it this way: if I need to script to get things going in the beginning, that's fine.  But I don't want to script on a weekly basis.  After it's set up, I want buttons and GUIs.

mouser:
This is not going to end well  :P

superboyac:
This is not going to end well  :P
-mouser (February 29, 2012, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D
I already know that I'm going to have to be a little open-minded about this, so just be ready for some schizo reactions from me throughout this process.  You've been warned! >:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version