ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (11/36) > >>

40hz:
For someone who doesn't want to argue you sure post a lot with multiple paragraphs.
-MilesAhead (March 01, 2012, 08:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry. I was just trying to share. I'll try to be more careful next time about using multiple paragraphs when you're around. It's just the way I think - and write. I don't mean anything personal by it. (BTW, I hope you don't find parentheses equally annoying. I use a lot of those too when I post.)  ;)

As soon as I saw a Linux thread I knew it would degenerate to be honest.
--- End quote ---

Interesting...

Still, like the guy hoping the football would not be pulled away this time, I tried to give the OP the benefit of my experience.
--- End quote ---

"Sorry. But you just lost me here..."

Um...this isn't a competition. There's no ball. No score. No winners or losers. And nobody is trying to "pull" anything away from you that I can see. So I'm not sure where you're  coming from when you say something like that. But as far as offering the benefit of one's individual experience to the OP, well...that's exactly what everybody else is trying to do too, isn't it? So if I'm missing something here, please let me know ok?

(With apologies for using multiple paragraphs again.) :)

Innuendo:
@Miles - I don't want to get into a drawn out debate over the relative merits of one distro vs another.
--- End quote ---
For someone who doesn't want to argue you sure post a lot with multiple paragraphs. As soon as I saw a Linux thread I knew it would degenerate to be honest.  Still, like the guy hoping the football would not be pulled away this time, I tried to give the OP the benefit of my experience.-MilesAhead (March 01, 2012, 08:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Miles, usually I follow your trains of logic easily, but you've stumped me in this case.

40hz's post, while wordy, struck me as a statement embodying the idea that one should fine what fits them best & that one shouldn't have any blind loyalty to any one distro. Perhaps you should re-read his post to make sure you didn't misread something.

This has been a very quiet, civilized thread. I'm proud of all the participants for keeping level heads while discussing a topic where level heads usually don't prevail.

All the footballs are still in plain sight & none have as of yet been pulled away, Mr. Brown. ;)

Armando:
You probably thought about that but... if you're a busy person, "transitioning" to Linux (or any other OS : OS X, Windows) without very good reasons, isn't -- IMO -- a good idea. Of coure the "very good reasons" can be as simple as "fun and variety". But in any case your goals need to be clear as transitioning is NOT simple, easy and rapid -- at least for people like you (I don't know you that much, but you seem to be even pickier then me, which is rare ;) ).

Of  course, for my daughter, switching from windows to Linux was just a matter of selecting Linux in the boot menu. But all she does is searching Google, playing a few flash games and writing stuff in libre office !

So, my 2c :
- 1 or 2 y ago, after some exploration, I chose Mint to install on older laptop here.** Others here have mentioned Mint, it's a good choice, there are many other good choices depending on your goals. Context is important.
- Using a live CD or a spare computer are also good ideas in what seems to be your case. If you're a busy person, you don't want to be immobilized because things aren't working at all. I wouldn't go the VM route. It seems simple, but... it depends.  :)

**Note that I've been a Linux user (almost exclusively) between 98 and 2000 I think (although the journey started in 1997). Things were a lot less smooth at the time with distros like Caldera, Mandrake, Suse and RedHat. When I look back at those 2 years, I see I had fun and learned many things. But I also see a gigantic time drain in which I could've been much more productive (and a better boyfriend, for that matter!), but was mainly obsessed with drivers, broken kernels, internet connection, file conversions, software testing, etc.

Things have changed a lot since then, but success depends roughly on 1- what one wants to do, when, with whom, etc. (i.e. : context related parameters), 2- the person's technical level.

wraith808:
A timely article on Lifehacker: How to Find the Perfect Linux Distribution for You.

superboyac:
**Note that I've been a Linux user (almost exclusively) between 98 and 2000 I think (although the journey started in 1997). Things were a lot less smooth at the time with distros like Caldera, Mandrake, Suse and RedHat. When I look back at those 2 years, I see I had fun and learned many things. But I also see a gigantic time drain in which I could've been much more productive (and a better boyfriend, for that matter!), but was mainly obsessed with drivers, broken kernels, internet connection, file conversions, software testing, etc.
-Armando (March 02, 2012, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
Armando, you have somehow perfectly stated how I feel about the subject!!

I've been thinking about this more now, and if i had to nail down a single goal for my Linux experiment here, it's this:
I want to create my own cloud with no outside services.

it seems like Linux is the way to go at this point to try this.  All the normal commercial avenues are trying to push people into the cloud...including Microsoft.  Definitely Apple is.  So if I'm being honest, I think that is what this experiment is all about.  Linux, ownCloud.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version