ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux

<< < (26/36) > >>

Tuxman:
Which ones have you tried so far?

edit: LOL, just looked at the Zorin "OS" site. "Linux for Windows users".
Bazinga!

TaoPhoenix:
Bazinga all you want, I'm kinda offended at the LoLing.

Mint failed. Snow Linux Failed. TinyCore Failed. Legacy OS Failed. Galpon MiniNo I think worked but it looked funny. Upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 regular (supposed to be LXDE) failed. None of them *booted*. Sorry. I won't deal with a package that doesn't *boot*.

So it became Zorin's LXDE sub-mod of Ubuntu's Mod of Debian.

Tuxman:
Srsly, why do you want Linux if you call yourself a Windows user?

Anyway, you tried distributions I had never heard of, nice. Some are supposed to look funny, like Bodhi Linux. ;)

Ubuntu, however, is a fork, not a mod. Too much has changed from Debian, that's why Debian does not have massive driver failures. :D

edit: Oh dear, my spelling has died.

TaoPhoenix:
Well, maybe my terms are up for grabs - what's the difference between a Fork and a Mod? So however you term it, I got one that works. Me-As-Typical-New-Linux-User just wants to get to a desktop screen.

If I had tried for Debian Raw I bet (out of time) that I still would have gotten stuck on something, that's why I went looking for something that had special support for older comps.

It turns out I am really strong on Apps, but in fact I don't do all that much at a raw OS level. Long Haul, I don't know if I can make it to Windows 9 - Win8 with Metro is looking really ugly, even worse than Vista.

"All I do" 50% of the time is play on the web and make folders and save notes and files. That's cake. Linux can handle that. So yes one of these years if I really got serious I'd buy a new comp for Linux. This is a test case for now.

The drive failure has to be a minimum spec for some chip that my 2007 machine doesn't have, and no amount of "purity" in Debian will fix that.

This at least gives me some context rather than just cowering in a corner racing the clock between Windows 9 and my comp dying before I have properly exported everything.

Tuxman:
Well, maybe my terms are up for grabs - what's the difference between a Fork and a Mod?-TaoPhoenix (April 29, 2012, 08:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
A fork is developed independently of the code it was initially based on, while a mod is merged with it when it changes.
Ubuntu is not Debian anymore. Not nearly.

So however you term it, I got one that works. Me-As-Typical-New-Linux-User just wants to get to a desktop screen. -TaoPhoenix (April 29, 2012, 08:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
So why Linux then?

There is no "typical new Linux user", back in 1998 I started with SuSE Linux 6.0 (and was stuck to Windows-only for years after then), others start with Arch Linux or Slackware. What is "typical"?

Long Haul, I don't know if I can make it to Windows 9 - Win8 with Metro is looking really ugly, even worse than Vista. -TaoPhoenix (April 29, 2012, 08:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Vista was fine, at least it was the last Windows version with a working task bar. I hope Microsoft will get back to the desktop market some day... Windows 8 SP1 or something.

"All I do" 50% of the time is play on the web and make folders and save notes and files. That's cake. Linux can handle that.-TaoPhoenix (April 29, 2012, 08:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
So can most other OSs.

So yes one of these years if I really got serious I'd buy a new comp for Linux. This is a test case for now. -TaoPhoenix (April 29, 2012, 08:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
I recently did that for my sister, ordered some Linux laptop for her (Fedora 16) and she's happy with it (after some days of "why can't I play my random MMORPGs here?"); but it was more because it was cheap. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version