ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon pulls thousands of e-books... and the SFWA strikes back

<< < (2/4) > >>

Stoic Joker:
+1. Boycott.  8)

Oh wait! I can't. I never bought an ebook reader because I knew this would eventually happen.  :-[
-40hz (February 28, 2012, 07:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

40hz:
What is not clear is if Amazon dropped IPG does that mean all the customers who have bought IPG product have had it removed from their Kindle accounts? Amazon did this before.
-Carol Haynes (February 28, 2012, 08:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amazon pulls thousands of e-books... and the SFWA strikes back

Oooooo! That's right. They did do that didn't they? (McMillan titles wasn't it?)

Thanks for reminding us Carol. That's something that "should (n)ever be forgot." :Thmbsup:

steeladept:
Oooooo! That's right. They did do that didn't they? (McMillan titles wasn't it?)

Thanks for reminding us Carol. That's something that "should (n)ever be forgot." :Thmbsup:
-40hz (February 28, 2012, 09:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am surprised you did forget.  Getting old aren't you. :P
Seriously though, this is the main reason I never did buy an E-Reader.  The concept is great and it is a no-brainer if there were some enforcements for consumer rights instead of focusing exclusively on the distributor rights (and by extension and to a lesser extend content producer rights).

First there was the hardware, with limited/no titles; at least none compelling enough to get people to buy in droves.  Then Amazon started producing titles for their hardware upon release.  That opened up the market, but with it's site fixed firmly in their own pocketbook, it was limited as well.  Then others finally saw the potential and the method and followed suit. 

Next is what I am waiting for - consolidation, standardization, and then real choice.  Haven't seen that yet though.

40hz:

-40hz (February 28, 2012, 09:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am surprised you did forget.  Getting old aren't you. :P

-steeladept (February 28, 2012, 10:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

'fraid so. ;D

IainB:
+1. Boycott.  8)
Oh wait! I can't. I never bought an ebook reader because I knew this would eventually happen.  :-[
-40hz (February 28, 2012, 07:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
+1 from me for this.

Next is what I am waiting for - consolidation, standardization, and then real choice.  Haven't seen that yet though.
-steeladept (February 28, 2012, 10:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
+1 from me for this.

Yes, same here, but it's been a bit of a long wait so far.
Bugger. Just as I manage to calm my innate skepticism/caution and am about to take the plunge, something like this seems to happen to demonstrate that there are indeed still sharks in the water.
I almost bought a Nook Colour the other week too.     :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version