ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

So, it has come to this. Pick an ecosystem -- Google, Microsoft, or Apple

(1/2) > >>

zridling:

It seems that consumer computing for the masses has effectively been reduced to the user picking an ecosystem -- either Google, Microsoft, or Apple. Once chosen, it will take you seven attempts* to leave, if you ever do. And to think, just a few years ago, it felt like we had it all. Now we're all dependent little corporate whores, like it or not. (I don't like it because someone else is in control.)

mwb1100:
*I just pulled that number out of the sky.
-zridling (February 27, 2012, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Whew - I was afraid you might have pulled it out of somewhere else!

Ath:
--- End quote ---

Who of these three's cloud was that? :P

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

Whew - I was afraid you might have pulled it out of somewhere else!
-mwb1100 (February 27, 2012, 01:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is a bit smelly...  ;)

Innuendo:
And to think, just a few years ago, it felt like we had it all. Now we're all dependent little corporate whores, like it or not.-zridling (February 27, 2012, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

A few years ago the choice was simpler. You chose either the Microsoft or Apple eco-system unless, of course, you went off the grid with Linux or a BSD variant.

Or, since you include Google, are you talking about smart-phone/PDA eco-systems? In that case, a few years ago your choices were RIM, Palm, or Symbian.

I guess I'm not understanding the motivation of the OP. Corporations have always tried to lasso consumers into their eco-system. It's just these days the cast of characters is a little different than the ones of days gone by.

tl;dr....same ole, umm...stuff, different day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version