ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need Disk Imaging tool that can restore from external HDD

<< < (2/4) > >>

patthecat:
1. Is your external USB hard drive a USB 3.0 or not?  If it is, I don't think Easeus linux bootable disk has USB 3.0 drivers, only 2.0 and 1.1.

2. Also, try to connect the USB drive to your computer while it is off and then boot with the bootable disk.

3. Creating a Easeus WinPE bootable disk rather than the default linux bootable disk may also resolve your issue.  Most of the bootable disks from backup/recovery vendors are linux based by default and may give an option for WinPE based bootable disk. 

4. There's also the possibility of looking at BIOS settings regarding the USB interface.

The tool I use give both for an option and even a DOS based one with USB drivers.  Not free but reasonable from Terabyte Unlimited: Image for DOS ($30), Image for Linux($30), Image for Windows ($39 but you are also licensed to DL and use the DOS and Linux version; so it's 3 in 1).  The title of DOS and Linux is sort of a misnomer, it does not mean the operating system you are trying to image , but it is the nature of the bootable disk it creates.  The Image for Windows version is that it is installed on Windows and can do live imaging while Windows is running, while the DOS and Linux version are run from bootable USB or disks.

For free give these a look:
Macrium Reflect ( http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx )
DriveImage XML ( www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm ) free a try.
Also there is Redo Backup which imaging and restore are both from the bootable linux cd. http://redobackup.org

daddydave:
This is a rather timely thread for me, just yesterday I made a partition backup of my wife's computer with Easus Todo Backup Free, and hadn't put much thought into the restore process.

3. Creating a Easeus WinPE bootable disk rather than the default linux bootable disk may also resolve your issue.  Most of the bootable disks from backup/recovery vendors are linux based by default and may give an option for WinPE based bootable disk.
-patthecat (February 27, 2012, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had this thought, too. I might try it myself.
Easeus Todo Backup site has a Linux vs WinPE boot disk comparison. That site doesn't seem to say one way or another, though.

Carol Haynes:
If you are using Windows 7 what about Backup & Restore built into windows. Does full system imaging to external hard disks and DVDs. It automatically includes system partitions but you can add in extra partitions too.

Gwen7:
They also have a free rescue kit.
-xtabber (February 27, 2012, 02:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

f.y.i. they force you to friend them on facebook in order to get the download link.

InstantFundas:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at Macrium.

1. Is your external USB hard drive a USB 3.0 or not?  If it is, I don't think Easeus linux bootable disk has USB 3.0 drivers, only 2.0 and 1.1.

2. Also, try to connect the USB drive to your computer while it is off and then boot with the bootable disk.

3. Creating a Easeus WinPE bootable disk rather than the default linux bootable disk may also resolve your issue.  Most of the bootable disks from backup/recovery vendors are linux based by default and may give an option for WinPE based bootable disk. 

4. There's also the possibility of looking at BIOS settings regarding the USB interface.
-patthecat (February 27, 2012, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

1. It's USB 2.0

2. I will try that

3. The Easeus WinPE disk is probably not available with the free version.

4. The BIOS setting looks fine, AFAIK. Booting from USB drives is enabled.

If you are using Windows 7 what about Backup & Restore built into windows. Does full system imaging to external hard disks and DVDs. It automatically includes system partitions but you can add in extra partitions too.-Carol Haynes
--- End quote ---

Windows 7's Backup & Restore doesn't compress the disk image. If your partition has 30 GB of data the disk image will be 30GB. Third party tools usually offer compression. Easeus Todo Backup reduces the image by more than 50%. So the 30 GB partition will take only 15 GB or less to store. Saves HDD space.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version