ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need Disk Imaging tool that can restore from external HDD

(1/4) > >>

InstantFundas:
I'm using Easeus Todo Backup to create disk image. It's a great program, but the trouble is it cannot recognize external USB connected hard drives when booting from the recovery disk. Because of this I cannot restore an image saved on an external drive.

Does anybody know of a free disk imaging tool that can identify external hard drives when booted from their recovery disk?

bastik:
Macrium Reflect Free should be able to do this. I use it because it seems to work. Since Windows 7 I never had to use.

Quote from http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50082.aspx
"Hardware support: Just as for your normal windows installation, the rescue environment needs to include support for your hardware, in particular mass storage (inc. RAID if applicable), usb and network interfaces.

The linux environment supports most common hardware interfaces, but includes no support for RAID systems or usb 3 connected devices. It cannot be customised for unsupported hardware.

The Windows PE environment supports more hardware out of the box. (...)"

mouser:
I've always had very good luck with Acronis, though it is getting bloated.  Macrium Reflect (free), is a very nice program to use -- though I've found it reallly slow compared to Acronis.

iphigenie:
I left Acronis a while back - when they changed their type of licenses and took away some features from me I cared about unless I paid full corporate price.

I now use Paragon - incidentally they seem to now have a free version of their backup, that could be interesting I need to check it out

Paragon backs up and restores from local, network, usb and CD/DVD and has different types of boot media to make sure you always can boot back up. I have used their hard disk manager and their rescue kit products a few times to get out of some self-created messes.

xtabber:
I image and restore system partitions frequently. I stopped using Acronis a few years ago because I found it to be unreliable at times -- a backup is only worthwhile if you can be sure it will restore correctly every time.

I've been using Paragon since then and have found it rock solid, although their interface takes a little getting used to.

The free version of Paragon has a lot of functionality.

They also have a free rescue kit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version