Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 25, 2014, 02:41:49 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with UAC in portable tools  (Read 3010 times)
vlastimil
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:54:41 AM »

Hi all,

I am not sure if addressing UAC issues in Vista and Win7 interests many of you, but I have finally bitten the bullet and implemented saving to UAC-protected folders in my tools. In the end it was not so hard, but it was not trivial either and it is easy to get stray away while looking for the easiest solution. If you decide you want your software to save to UAC-protected locations (after the user confirms that dreaded dialog box) instead of displaying an error message, you may find my latest blog entry with code snippets useful: http://www.rw-designer.com/entry/531

V.
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:10:07 AM »

Now that is interesting...I didn't know MS had its own rabbit hole in UAC, thanks for sharing.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »

Thanks for writing that and pointing us to it.
I utterly detest UAC!

Chris
Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:57:31 PM »

UAC = Universal Acclaimed Cruelty?
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »

Ubiquitous Anguish Creator

(Actually I rather like it from an administrative standpoint)
EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 01:18:21 PM »

Anyone who hates UAC obviously never used Linux or OS X. Neither of those systems have the concept of a "protected desktop" so instead of a simple Yes/No prompt, they have to get you to type in a password every single time you do anything that needs elevation. OS X in particular is the worst, when installing large software such as Xcode you'll be asked to type in your password multiple times, I'm talking 5+ times, during the install process.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
vlastimil
Honorary Member

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 02:29:25 PM »

UAC in Vista was annoying, but at least it offered some additional protection. I agree that just pressing "OK" button is better than typing a password in Linux.
UAC in Win7 is a joke. In the default mode, Microsoft's application are white-listed and do not show prompts. But it is trivial to manipulate Microsoft's executables into running any code. Hence: Win7 UAC in default mode offers virtually no protection from malware and non-Microsoft tools must show annoying prompts or fail (or exploit the security holes)... You get the worst of both worlds.
EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »

I agree the default is plain silly. Personally I always bump the setting up to maximum on my own machine as well as I any I install for others.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
vlastimil
Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 02:45:30 PM »

That makes sense for everyone, who cares about security. The other sensible setting suitable for more adventurous people is enabling silent elevation for every process - just as secure as the default setting and no prompts.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 05:17:40 PM »

UAC = Universal Acclaimed Cruelty?
Round here it's viewed as an Unnecessarily Annoying Complication.

Chris
worstje
Honorary Member

The Gent with the White Hat

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 01:03:01 AM »

Thanks for sharing this with us, vlastimil!

Save for the Explorer object, which is a very interesting find I must say, I already figured out these things back when I wrote JottiQ for NANY 2011. My solution is basically the 'spawn myself as an elevated process', where commandline switches describe the actions to be taken. As JottiQ never saves stuff, it is only for certain changes in the registry, so I escaped most of the hell you had to go through.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.03s | Server load: 0.08 ]