topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: @mouser, I have a small quibble about your donation system ...  (Read 8397 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK, nothing serious.  Just a minor complaint.  I don't mind making donations for software I use - been doing it for years in several venues - but I like to see acknowledgement that those donations were received.  (That's not an accusation.)

Let's say I make a donation to epluribus.  I specify the amount, click all the right buttons, and the donation is acknowledged as being upon its way.  Hey, all to the good, right?

Except ...

There's no system acknowledgement that the donation was received.

Yeah, there's usually an acknowledgement by the recipient.  But maybe the recipient is on a two (2) week vacation, or perhaps super busy with some project, or maybe just doesn't like me and want to talk to me.

But, while there's a system acknowledgement that a donation was sent, there's no system acknowledgement (that I've seen, anyway) that the donee received the donation.

Is that something that might be worth a few brain cells, or am I just insecure/ignorant?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: @mouser, I have a small quibble about your donation system ...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:45 AM »
+1

But IMHO the confirmation should be made/sent only after it's opened/read by the recipient :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 05:23 AM »
What can I say -- you are right, I will fix it.

What happens is this -- when someone makes a donation via paypal or amazon, i get an email and i respond to that thanking them.

When someone sends donationcredits to another user, like me through the forum -- I also always of course send an acknowledge message and thank you through the forum.

BUT.. When someone (like you) sends some donationcredits to the "site forum account" -- i don't see that message -- no human does.  Which means it never gets replied to.  This is what you are talking about.  The reason you don't get a reply is because no real person is logged into that forum account.  But it's really unacceptable not to have it acknowledged personally.  I will fix.  My apologies.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:11 AM »
This is what you are talking about.

From reading and re-reading his post, I don't think this is what he's talking about.  I think he's talking about a system acknowledgement when a donation is successfully received at all, i.e. if the person donated to does not send a response, the donator would still receive something when the donation was claimed.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:09 AM »
But it's really unacceptable not to have it acknowledged personally.  I will fix.  My apologies.

I agree with wraith that the OP had a broader intent, but this is one of the things I admire about mouser. He's always appreciative of any comment that will lead to an improvement in the site, and always very responsive. That's always been my experience.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:41 AM »
BUT.. When someone (like you) sends some donationcredits to the "site forum account" -- i don't see that message -- no human does.  Which means it never gets replied to.  This is what you are talking about.  The reason you don't get a reply is because no real person is logged into that forum account.  But it's really unacceptable not to have it acknowledged personally.  I will fix.  My apologies.

That would be good.
I thought the OP was more about this example though:

Somebody donates to me & I forget to thank them (or I away on my 2 week holliers). This scenario would be covered by an automatic acknowledgement.
OTOH, as I remember you get immediate notification [edit] on the webpage [/edit] that the money has been sent to xyz. I'm personally happy enough with that...

But IMHO the confirmation should be made/sent only after it's opened/read by the recipient :up:
~
but then that wouldnt cover the me on my holidays scenario in the OP
Tom

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 01:16 PM »
~
but then that wouldnt cover the me on my holidays scenario in the OP
But it could be in the form of a PM, so you'd receive the default notification, as usual, and can read later when away for the holidays ;)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 01:30 PM »
wraith808 said it better than did I.  A system acknowledgement that the donee has received the donation is what I was angling for.  There are any number of reasons why the donee might not respond, but at least I'd know the donation was received.  Reason I bring this up is to correct for my own lapses of attention - I might have sent to the wrong person, i.e., I screwed up - it has happened a time or three (3)  :P.  A system acknowledgement to the effect of, "epluribus has received your donation," would let me know I sent to the correct person, and in the case of that two (2) week beach visit, remind me that I had done so - old minds can lose track of things, ya know  :P?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:53 PM »
Fair enough.

But did you know that if you go to your Profile page, look under "Donation Credits" for Recent Activity link, and you will see exactly how much you sent and received as well as to/from whom and when.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 02:04 PM »
But did you know that if you go to your Profile page, look under "Donation Credits" for Recent Activity link, and you will see exactly how much you sent and received as well as to/from whom and when.

Oops  :-[.  Seems as though old minds are also subject to hoof-in-mouth disease  ;).

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Does the site automatically redirect you to your profile page, and to the Donations info, when you make a donation? If not, maybe a messageBox dialog could pop-up, asking if you'd like to be taken there.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 08:10 PM »
OK, maybe I don't have hoof-in-mouth  :-\.  The profile shows credits donated, but not an acknowledgement they were received.  I don't mean to be horsey about this, but I'd like to see something indicating that epluribus received those credits, regardless of any response, or lack thereof, from epluribus.  There will always be glitches, whether human or software, and it would be nice to have some reassurance that the donee actually received the donation.  I know I made it, I just want to know that it was received  :P.  Well, and also a reaffirmation that I sent it where it was meant to go  :-\.  If I got fat-fingered, I could have sent to the wrong person.  I'd not rescind that, of course, but I might need to resend it (cranioscopical, don't you dare  :D), paying a bit more attention to where it was sent (see former comment in re old minds  :P).

[Hee-hee, spell check wanted to change hoof-in-mouth to hafnium  :P.]

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 10:49 PM »
So something along the lines of Outlook's (optional) delivery and/or read receipts?

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 10:58 PM »
Yeah, you got the concept  :).  I don't expect anyone to offer a personal comment, just wanna know they got the damned thing - and in the process know that I didn't screw up by hitting the wrong button - not that that's likely, of course  :down: - just a kind of validation/insurance that is system-generated, not dependent upon human frailties (i.e. not dependent upon another [possible] old mind  :P :-* :P).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:15 PM by barney »

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 04:48 AM »
So something along the lines of Outlook's (optional) delivery and/or read receipts?

SJ, you took the words right out of my mouth!   :D

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 07:08 AM »

I really like that idea!