ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

YouTube Identifies Birdsong As Copyrighted Music

<< < (2/2)

Eóin:
Saw reddit going mad over this too. Personally I prefer the slightly more accurate title of "Computer algorithm gets false positive".

tomos:
Saw reddit going mad over this too. Personally I prefer the slightly more accurate title of "Computer algorithm gets false positive".
-Eóin (February 28, 2012, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

False positive would be the logical conclusion, but the user seems to claim otherwise:

I disputed their claim with YouTube’s system — and Rumblefish refuted my dispute, and asserted that: ‘All content owners have reviewed your video and confirmed their claims to some or all of its content: Entity: rumblefish; Content Type: Musical Composition.’ So I asked some questions, and it appears that the birds singing in the background of my video are Rumblefish’s exclusive intellectual property.”
--- End quote ---

or are they being sarcastic there at the end :-\

app103:
The post linked to a Youtube support thread that has a post that states the following:

Is this a freak occurrence?

NO! It is a very common occurrence. It is a well-known error. One person has had to file over 100 disputes for mistaken bird sounds. For some reason Google is reluctant to fix this so companies like rumblefish take advantage of it to gain fraudulent income (google makes something also).

Companies registering reference file with the CID are required to manually review any disputed video but rumblefish is one of many companies who just automatically confirm the content regardless of how ridiculous the match is.-http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=55df85c8372461a6&hl=en
--- End quote ---

bastik:
Whenever Youtube is unable or unwilling to fix this and users fear legal issues, one could look into alternatives. That kind of failure is unacceptable. Sure it can happen, but not that often.

Vimeo looked promising so far.

Renegade:
Whenever Youtube is unable or unwilling to fix this and users fear legal issues, one could look into alternatives. That kind of failure is unacceptable. Sure it can happen, but not that often.

Vimeo looked promising so far.
-bastik (February 29, 2012, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Vimeo is EXCELLENT!

Though I don't know much about them and these kinds of issues -- never heard any complaints about them before... Should be a good thing! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version