topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Agnitum Outpost Firewall - Lifetime License - $29.97 - Coming Soon  (Read 14448 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BitsDuJour is soon going to have an offer for Agnitum's Outpost Firewall. For your $29.97 you'll get a lifetime license for 3 PCs.

If you've been thinking about beefing up your security or just want to try something new then this warrants your attention. Agnitum's firewall consistently ranks among the highest in reviews & tests.

I know a lot of people here are a little worried when it comes to lifetime licenses & having the rug pulled out from under them, but I can assure you that Agnitum is trustworthy in this regard. I've owned a lifetime license for their security suite since early January, 2009 & I have never had a problem with my license in upgrading to the latest & greatest versions.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Agnitum Outpost Firewall - Lifetime License - $29.97 - Coming Soon
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Thanks for the heads up :Thmbsup:
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 02:04 AM »
For your $29.97 you'll get a lifetime license for 3 PCs.

I believe the upcoming deal is $27.97 for a lifetime license for a single PC.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:47 AM »
-yes, mwb100, you're right.

Current offer is for 1 PC only (Single license). But you may upgrade from this Single license to Personal Pack (up to 3 PCs) for $20 by contacting our Support Team, they will provide you the proper link.
-Natalia Solovyeva, Agnitum

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 12:59 PM »
Bummer...I stand corrected. Their last BDJ deal was a license for 3 PCs and I thought they'd carry on that tradition. Still, even at $49.97 it's still quite a savings over the current deal on their web site ($69.95 for 3 PCs).

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Today's the day, folks. Visit Bits Du Jour if you want to partake of the deal. :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Is Outpost still a DC preferred firewall?  How does it compare to Comodo?  It's a good deal, but just wanted to see what the opinions here were.  I know mouser liked it, then didn't, then did?  Not sure.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 12:51 PM »
I used the Outpost Pro firewall for a couple of years, and in fact I have a lifetime license.  However, I'm not very savvy when it comes to firewalls, and I eventually got tired of having to deal with behaviors that got in the way and a variety of mysterious messages I did not understand.  I decided to try the Windows 7 built-in firewall.  It doesn't offer as many different kinds of protection as Outpost, but it has turned out to be all I seem to need.  I now have it on both my netbook and my desktop, and I'm happy with it.  I could tweak it to offer more sophisticated protection, but I haven't felt the need to do so.  

IIRC, I also tried Comodo before deciding upon Outpost.  At the time, something on my system didn't play nicely with Comodo.  I now have a different system, but I haven't been tempted to give Comodo another try.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting Outpost or Comodo; I'm simply reporting my experience.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:29 PM »
For what it's worth, I have a pack of lifetime licenses to the Outpost Suite and I'm considering purchasing one of these Firewall-only licenses because there have been times when I wanted to mix-n-match the firewall and antivirus from different vendors, but the Outpost Suite won't let you selectively install these components. (If anyone knows a way to do this, I'd appreciate a pointer).

I tried using the Suite key with the Firewall-only download (or maybe it was with the Outpost AV - I honestly can't remember which I was trying to single out), but the key wasn't accepted, and tech support said that there's nothing for it.

Anyway, I guess it says something that I'm even thinking about dropping another $30 just to cover this potential corner-case situation in the future. But in all honesty I probably won't pull the trigger - even if I find myself wanting to do that kind of thing in the future, it will likely just be a test situation that I can deal with by using freebie/trial licenses.

As another disclaimer - I've grown to dislike pretty much all anti-malware software There was a day when I liked to tweak these things and know everything about exactly what was going in and out and where.  But I've grown tired of that, and I just want something that will keep malware at bay without asking me a bunch of confusing questions, notifying me about stuff that makes no sense, or - worst of all - making my system unstable.

Even worse, I generally distrust all anti-malware software.  No matter which I have installed, I feel like *something* is going to screw up my system. Sometimes it has been the anti-malware software itself that damaged my system! Oh, the irony. That's the reason I don't even consider McAfee or Norton anymore, though those incidents were from long, long ago, and for all I know their current offerings are just fine. I want - actually, need - to trust that the anti-malware is really going to protect my systems. But, for various reasons, that trust is not complete with any anti-malware I've tried; however, the Outpost Suite has gained enough of my trust for me to be happy with it - without Agnitum hitting me up for a fee every year.

But - I still find myself irritated every time it asks whether something-or-other needs to be allowed or not.

I *think* that I might be happy enough with the Windows 7 built-in firewall, but I still use Outpost even though I find its notifications/questions more intrusive and confusing than I like. I believe it offers better protection. Though to be honest, I really don't have the knowledge or data about firewalls to say for certain that that's true. However, for the other aspects in the Outpost Suite, such as anti-virus (which is not part of today's BDJ offering), I know for certain that Outpost offers better protection for me than Microsoft Security Essentials.

I'd also like to point out that Agnitum's support has been responsive, and Agnitum has actually implemented fixes for problems and cleared up false positives I've reported. Their product really does get better with every release, and in their more recent releases they've paid a lot of attention to the performance of the product, seeking to counter the tendency that products generally have of bloating.

So, in summary, consider this an endorsement of Agnitum's products and support, but one qualified by the fact that I generally don't like the whole field of anti-malware offerings. It's sort of like paying taxes, I suppose.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 09:33 AM »
There are a couple settings that cut down on the permission dialogs a lot. The first one tells Outpost to let through any app which is digitally signed by a trusted publisher. That will cut down on a LOT of the permission requests. The second one, I don't really recommend, but it's there if you want either further elimination of permission requests & that's a training setting. Turn it on and for the next two weeks any app you run on your system will automatically be given permission. After the two weeks the training setting automatically goes back to normal & by then almost all, if not all, of your apps will have the necessary permissions to run unheeded.

Even without these two settings, though. You are only asked for permission once...unless you specifically hit the button to only allow the action once.

I'm not surprised an Outpost Security Suite serial number didn't work on an Outpost Firewall installation. They are different products, after all. Outpost Security Suite's anti-virus is deeply intertwined with the firewall component so that's why you can't turn that off. However, what with Outpost Security Suite being awarded no less than ten AV100 awards in a row, I'm not sure why you would want to turn off that AV anyway. :)

I should probably mention that Agnitum's firewall products are among just a handful that can pass all known leak tests as well.

Anti-malware is a lot like paying taxes...I hate it as much as the next person....which is why I jumped on the offer a few years ago to buy a lifetime license to Outpost Security Suite...and grabbed a BitsDuJour offer for a lifetime license for MalwareByte's Anti-Malware as well.

As for you, Ms. Diva....firewall tutoring is available upon request. ;)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 10:14 AM »
As for you, Ms. Diva....firewall tutoring is available upon request. ;)

Ah, where were you when I really needed this?  ;)  Seriously, thanks very much, Innuendo.  I may eventually take you up on your offer, but for the moment, I'm  content with the Windows 7 firewall, which required nothing more of me than to turn it on.  That much I can manage on my own.  :)

berry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 12:33 PM »
Great add-on for the Windows firewall http://www.sphinx-so...com/Vista/order.html

The free is very good. The "Plus" is - well, a plus :) And BTJ had it on sale sometime back and it was a plus+plus.

cheers

whoops - sorry if this is considered "off-topic". If so, please let me know.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 01:04 PM »
Great add-on for the Windows firewall http://www.sphinx-so...com/Vista/order.html

The free is very good. The "Plus" is - well, a plus :) And BTJ had it on sale sometime back and it was a plus+plus.

cheers

great find, berry!  What a great little tool.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 01:17 PM »
I may eventually take you up on your offer, but for the moment, I'm  content with the Windows 7 firewall, which required nothing more of me than to turn it on.  That much I can manage on my own.  :)

There's nothing wrong at all with the Windows 7 firewall if all you are concerned with is stuff trying to get in. Where its weak point lies is with things trying to get out. Lots of programs try to phone home (some are benign and others not so much) so it depends on how important that aspect of your security/privacy is.

My favorite example of this is a few years ago it was discovered a very popular software DVD player was phoning home letting the developers know the title of every movie played with their software! Sure, that's nothing directly malicious, but there's no reason for them to know what their customers watched.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 01:19 PM »

On DonationCoder anything that contributes to the overall topic of a thread is very much welcome even if it is not exactly the product being discussed. Here we concentrate on finding what's best for each individual's needs rather than pushing the agenda of any one certain program over others.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 04:56 PM »
There's nothing wrong at all with the Windows 7 firewall if all you are concerned with is stuff trying to get in. Where its weak point lies is with things trying to get out. Lots of programs try to phone home (some are benign and others not so much) so it depends on how important that aspect of your security/privacy is.

For years, I wouldn't even consider the Windows firewall precisely because it dealt only with what was incoming, not outgoing.  But as I got more and more frustrated with the obtrusive behavior and perplexing warnings/announcements from Outpost, I began to reconsider my priorities.  I realized that at no time had Outpost ever alerted me to anything outgoing that I cared about.  It was just a short step from that realization to my uninstalling Outpost and turning on the Windows 7 firewall.  I've now had it on my netbook for two years and on my Win7 64-bit desktop computer ever since I bought it this past May.  Thus far, I haven't had any reason to regret that decision  (knock on wood, salt over my shoulder  :) ).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 08:08 AM »
Agnitum Outpost and Windows 7 Firewall Control (PAID version)seem to be regarded as being "the best" in most of the reviews where they are mentioned.

+ 1 for that.    :Thmbsup:

I'd rate W7FC as definitely worth trying out - "suck it and see".     :Thmbsup:
I'm still using it. I thought about upgrading it to the paid version two nights ago, but then decided it was unnecessary - the combination of Windows 7 Firewall and W7FC has shown itself to be a really effective and minimalist approach. (Suits me anyway.)
One of the things I compared it with was Agnitum Outpost - by the reviews (I haven't trialled Outpost yet).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:51 AM by IainB »

Bionic71

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 06:08 PM »
You're aware free W7FC only monitors certain folders?
Say you catch a Virus/Trojan @windir.. W7FC does not monitor windir/below.
G'luck with that.. It'll monitor appdir & that's it..

If you one day decide to buy W7FC it may be your worst nightmare configuring.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Currently, I'm using Windows Firewall Control, (NOTE, no 7 in title).

One day I'll get around to putting up a mini-review thingy of it, (I haven't forgotten IainB, I'm just lazy).

But one distinction between it and W7FC is that, unlike W7FC it actually controls the Windows Firewall.
W7FC is a completely separate entity from Windows Firewall - if you exit it, all your rules disappear.

WFC adds rules directly to the Windows Firewall, you exit it and all your rules are still active.  You can uninstall it and choose to leave any rules or return to default Windows Firewall rules.

In theory, I could set up all the rules on my PC and then just add them to another without having to install WFC.

There's also TinyWall and Windows Firewall Notifier which also control the internal Windows Firewall.

This is beside the fact I also have a lifetime Outpost Security Suite license, (picked up same time as Innuendo - absolute bargain of my lifetime :) ) - I just wanted to play with something else for a while.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 01:31 AM »
-when you add all these rules to Windows Firewall Control, doesn't they slow things down so much that Outpost would be (almost) just as quick? My only beef with Outpost Security Suite is the "wait" when I am opening a homepage. Otherwise I don't see it annoyingly slow in any way. But of course, I no longer go places or download stuff that are suspect.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 03:32 AM »
-when you add all these rules to Windows Firewall Control, doesn't they slow things down so much that Outpost would be (almost) just as quick?

It's as quick as the normal Windows Firewall - you've added no extra bulky programs that every connection is filtered through.

WFC sits in the background watching the Windows Eventlog, when it sees a program attempting to connect to the network it opens a requester and you can add a rule to Windows Firewall to allow/block.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 03:53 AM »
You're aware free W7FC only monitors certain folders?
I didn't know it monitored any folders. I thought it was just a firewall control.
Have I got that wrong?    :tellme:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 04:30 AM »
WFC sits in the background watching the Windows Eventlog, when it sees a program attempting to connect to the network it opens a requester and you can add a rule to Windows Firewall to allow/block.
Thanks. Interesting info.
As a result of reading that, I went and did a bit of research, and have decided to download WFC and trial it.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012, 04:51 AM »
Here's the development thread at Wilders for some info: another Windows Firewall Control

Also, there's one thing to watch out for: How are the notifications created and why they are sometimes so slow or missing ?

IMPORTANT

How are the notifications created and why they are sometimes so slow or missing ?

"Learning Mode" uses the Security Event log. It checks at every 0.3 seconds the last entry from this log. If the event recorded has the ID the number 5157, it means it found a blocked connection, and continues to analyze the message. It reads the content of the message recorded in the log file, it analyzes the message and extract the info needed to show in notification. If the direction is "Outbound" and the message is not older than three seconds, it displays the notification to the user.

All the things above are made 3 times a second. When you start your web browser and it attempts to make a connection, Windows Firewall writes a new entry in the security event log, with info about your web browser connection. Here takes place WFC to show you the notification. Usually, the last entry is generated by the last program you use to connect to the internet.

Things should be easy, but sometimes svchost.exe receives 30-40 inbound connections attempts in one second, also with the number ID 5157, but with direction "Inbound". These connections are also appended to the security event log, so if you start your web browser and then you receive 20 attempts of inbound connections to svchost.exe, the last entry would be for svchost.exe instead of your browser. WFC reads for 3 times in a second the last entry, but the last entry is from svchost.exe inbound connection.

The result is that you are not notified about your browser. In this case you must press on the refresh button to make the web browser to attempt a new connection, so it can be catched by WFC properly.

When svchost.exe stays quiet, the notifications are showed very prompt. When it starts with a blast of inbound connections it affects the performance of Learning Mode. Unfortunately there is no way to make the system not to log the inbound blocked connections, and this polutes the security event log with thousands garbage entries. And all these are readed by WFC in dozens of steps, for every entry.

Sometimes you need to make multiple connection attempts before it will pick up a program but I don't see that as a problem, at least they're not getting through.

Also one other thing to note, if you create a rule and tick the box saying you don't any more notifications for that program and then later delete that rule, you won't receive any future notifications for that program until you delete it from the Hidden Notifications list.

2012-03-02_21-55-55.jpg

PS. Does this mean I get out of doing a mini-review?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:01 AM by 4wd »