ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Another internet lowlife

<< < (3/4) > >>

vlastimil:
I believe the best you can do when you receive similar emails is to hit the Report spam button if your email service has one. Being angry about it is a waste of energy. If you reply to the email, you'll spend much more time than the spammer did filling your email address and domain name into an email template.

Once I did reply to an email, where a person was asking if they may add my web to their directory of web services. Of course it was an attempt to get a link from me. I was in a playful mood and replied and had an amusing conversation (I like playing dumb) but in the end it was just a waste of energy.

Yes, the internet of full of low quality content, be it sponsored blog posts, fake product reviews or link farms disguised as resource directories. They fill a niche in the internet ecosystem. Something has to fill it.

tranglos:
Yes, the internet of full of low quality content, be it sponsored blog posts, fake product reviews or link farms disguised as resource directories. They fill a niche in the internet ecosystem. Something has to fill it.
-vlastimil (February 23, 2012, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a mellow way of looking at it :-) You are right, life is too short. OTOH, yelling and screaming can be quite healthy too :-)

PhilB66:
You should read Greg's (dogsondrugs.com) response to the same email...

http://dogsondrugs.com/2012/02/06/the-week-in-review-25/

:Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix:
So give them to me!
-TaoPhoenix (February 23, 2012, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Tao, I will keep that in mind! I'm not into playing games like this myself, but I'd be happy to watch from the sidelines.

(No link at hand, but there was a story once about how someone actually got money from a Nigerian scammer. They essentially turned the tables: when the "Nigerians" started asking for money, their intended victim said yeah, sure, but I need (a token amount of US dollars) first to trust you're acting in good faith or some such. Maybe they did the PayPal thing - send me 2 USD from your account so that I know you exist. That was fun, but in the end doesn't change the fact that the Nigerian scam is still running high.)

-tranglos (February 23, 2012, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

No link at hand either but watch out for bad headlines, last I heard here it was still the Aussie Car buyers who got stiffed, only the money didn't get flipped to the Nigerians. Still trouble.

TaoPhoenix:
Since I wasn't clear send such things to me at [email protected]

Just put a really smart subject so I know to rescue it if Yahoo auto-spams it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version