ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

No more native Flash for Linux

<< < (2/2)

Edvard:
What.
The.
Hell.

Oh well, back to Firefox Nightly (for 64-bit deliciousness) for me.
I'd use Chromium, but the Chrome extensions don't work on it.

BTW -
http://alternativeto.net/software/flash-player/?platform=linux

eleman:
Yeah, as if original flash is not buggy enough, let's all head for open source alternatives :)

40hz:
Yeah, as if original flash is not buggy enough, let's all head for open source alternatives :)
-eleman (February 24, 2012, 10:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

The only reason Flash is as big a problem as it is - and poses security problems - is because Adobe couldn't just let it be a streaming media format. They also had to load it with a bunch of hooks for interactive business uses in order to make some money off it. That's where the problem is. If they could just let it be used for animation (which is what 90% of the market uses it for) instead of attempting to compete with Java by turning it into an interactive multimedia platform, there never would have been this problem.
 :-\

But I agree. Why try to duplicate Flash? The sooner we get on with HTML5/CSS3 and WebGL the better off we'll be. 8)

Edvard:
I fully agree, but until Flash goes away completely, there will still be a need for the convenience, sad to say.
Cart before the horse, and all that.

But I agree with 40Hz here, that if what is needed is merely a streaming animation decoder, then why not look for alternatives that do exactly that?
Besides, I hear gnash is quite mature, so it's at least viable...

Innuendo:
But I agree. Why try to duplicate Flash? The sooner we get on with HTML5/CSS3 and WebGL the better off we'll be. 8)
-40hz (February 24, 2012, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, 40hz, I do so wonder at your naive, childlike innocence.   ;)   Microsoft, Google, and Netflix don't want us to be better off...they want DRM in HTML5. See here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version