ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

[EXPIRED] PDFZilla free for 20 days - Ends 14 March 2012

<< < (2/5) > >>

tranglos:
It's much more likely that it stores the registration in the HKLM hive of the registry, where, for most locations, Admin access is required to be able to write.
-Ath (February 23, 2012, 03:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Likely - yes, true - no :-) When I activated it I had the installation folder open in TC and noticed in the corner of my eye that a file was updated there at that very moment. Seeing as most other apps handle registration without needing admin rights, I wonder if it's worth the additional support work this must bring in.

Ath:
@tranglos, maybe you got the portable version, but I've used the installer version 8) Can only find the uninstaller exe and an ini file that doesn't hold any license related data, being dated on the install-date.

mrainey:
And what happens if your system goes ka-boom & you have to reinstall your OS?
--- End quote ---

Make an image of your Windows partition once a week - takes twenty minutes.  I've used Windows for close to twenty years and have never reinstalled from scratch, but images have saved my butt half a dozen times.

tranglos:
@tranglos, maybe you got the portable version, but I've used the installer version 8) Can only find the uninstaller exe and an ini file that doesn't hold any license related data, being dated on the install-date.
-Ath (February 23, 2012, 05:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did use an installer, but the one I used tried to put the files in c:\PDFzilla, so maybe I did get a portable version. Out of curiosity, see if you have a file under there whose timestamp matches the time you registered it.

One way or another the app does need to be run as admin in order for the registration to be successful. If it isn't, it won't tell you - in fact, it will still thank you for registering.

Midnight Rambler:
Needed a .pdf conversion program a while back.  Downloaded trial of another one that didn't work well and was overpriced so used it once and uninstalled it.  PDFZilla offered too much utility to pass up and generally trust Ashraf's reviews so added it to my software hoard.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version