topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Steve Jobs is not dead... Minimalistic UI Madness Never dies.  (Read 8826 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I always thought that steve's minimalistic approach towards UI is going to live forever. Just check out this article from elementary OS team. Now like any other linux distro they're after killing the minimize and maximize button. They assume that one must either maximize the app or kill it and put it under dock. Ubuntu is already making changes on these fronts, same goes for gnome. I know this position of "not needing minimize button" can be argued. But the way these guys are putting up case turns me off from their distro. I mean seriously, "save state" and "maximize or kill"  are their options? People are using linux on low end machines to keep them going. Elementary OS dev team is kinda obsessed with apple, ios and their designs and it reflects in their way of handling the distro.

On windows XP, I am running winamp, 6 file manager windows, word, firefox -3 tabs, Iron chrome 2 tabs in the taskbar. I am working in between these windows. I am happy to see they are minimized. I also have virtual desktop but only use it for NSFW stuff and that's all.

I don't understand how "saving state" and "maximize or kill" type of thinking  makes someone more productive. I thought computers were about being multitasking and not about doing 1 thing at a time until you get bored with the machine and look at your girlfriend.

I like changes, be it HUD from gnome or some design change like some os x is bringing on the table. But assuming all personal computers to be like tablet or mobile phone and restricting users to limited options is not cool.

• Removing global application menu(HUD in ubuntu)- bad idea.
  • Removing minimize button - bad idea.
  • Not allowing folders on desktop - bad idea.
  • Keeping only wallpaper and dock on screen along with always maximized apps - bad idea (not only from casual usage but also from nsfw angle)
  • Removing scrollbar vertical from the distro - bad idea.
  • Assuming Developers knows best - Priceless, bad idea of the millennium.

Some of the linux developers should rename themselves as priests who do over-the-head generalizations. This is one more reason to have windows or mac as an alternate machine to save your brain from such obsessive madness.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Steve Jobs is not dead... Minimalistic UI Madness Never dies.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:39 PM »
The biggest mistake is making Linux what it's not. Linux's 'not for newbie' tag is often justified but it is a mistake to solve it by making it look like others. May be I am in a minority because I am not even a fan of Windows shell replacements that make it look like another OS for example.

I think UI is there as a tool for people who are not comfortable with other options therefore you have to give them the tools. Windows has three buttons on the top right hand, right? I will choose the download that makes it 5 over the one that makes it 1 every time.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:09 PM »
The biggest mistake is making Linux what it's not.

Fortunately, the only big player in the Linux camp that's doing that is Mark Shuttleworth with Ubuntu.

I personally think all this dumbing-down will eventually backfire. Much like the disco music craze did back in the late 70s and early 80s.

Funny thing too...disco sold millions of albums, and there were several disco clubs in almost any town big enough to support even a rudimentary night life scene.

But once the 90s rolled around, virtually nobody could ever "remember" liking disco, buying the music, practicing the dance moves, or going to the clubs. Pretty funny huh? I guess disguised interplanetary visitors were what floated that multi-billion dollar industry for almost 8 years.

I'm guessing dummy versions of Linux will follow in the same wake of abandonment once people realize it's demeaning to act like you're stupider and more helpless than you really are. This is a cycle we go through about every 25 years.
 8)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:13 PM »
The biggest mistake is making Linux what it's not.

Fortunately, the only big player in the Linux camp that's doing that is Mark Shuttleworth with Ubuntu.

I personally think all this dumbing-down will eventually backfire. Much like the disco music craze did back in the late 70s and early 80s.

Funny thing too...disco sold millions of albums, and there were several disco clubs in almost any town big enough to support even a rudimentary night life scene.

But once the 90s rolled around, virtually nobody could ever "remember" liking disco, buying the music, practicing the dance moves, or going to the clubs. Pretty funny huh? I guess disguised interplanetary visitors were what floated that multi-billion dollar industry for almost 8 years.

I'm guessing dummy versions of Linux will follow in the same wake of abandonment once people realize it's demeaning to act like you're stupider and more helpless than you really are. This is a cycle we go through about every 25 years.
 8)
I'd like to hear more about this...I'll let you know.

Disco has always been a fascinating example.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 04:03 PM »
Disco has always been a fascinating example.

Not if you were there it ain't (ick) ;)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 05:56 PM »
Linux is an OS choice driven by zealotry & wanting to stick it to The Man. These two things meld into a perfect mixture that attracts whackadoos more efficiently than sweet water attracts hummingbirds.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 06:10 PM »
Linux is an OS choice driven by zealotry & wanting to stick it to The Man. These two things meld into a perfect mixture that attracts whackadoos more efficiently than sweet water attracts hummingbirds.

Goodness! Almost sounds like somebody's trying to get a rise out of the Linux crowd... ;D

Sorry. Gambit declined. :P

8) ;)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 06:22 PM »
"Them fighting words"

;D

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 11:02 PM »
Goodness! Almost sounds like somebody's trying to get a rise out of the Linux crowd... ;D

I was not implying that all Linux users are whackadoos. I'm just saying the Linux mission statement attracts them in spades. :)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 11:48 PM »
I didn't mean it as attack to entire FOSS/Linux community. It's just those desktop environment designers from canonical and elementary  who are acting like a priest and generalizing about crowd that turns me off. This thread is rant against these wanna-be desktop designers. I don't understand one more thing - why in the world of multicore processors, linux developers are worried about system resources spent on multi-tasking? People say linux is about choices but more I digg into community I realize that team DE teams are obsessed with iOS and innovation for the sake of it. They don't offer choices when they move ahead in the name of innovation. You have to switch to something else, that's the only choice linux community offers. It's like my way or someone else's high way. lol Why break things that are not broken? Is there any thing related to "minimize" button that I am missing? Is there any gain by not allowing icons on desktop? Is there anything to gain by keeping one app at a time on desktop?

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 06:14 AM »
I always thought that steve's minimalistic approach towards UI is going to live forever.
Where did get that from? Steve Job hasn't been minimalist towards UI design for the last decade.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 06:50 AM »
Where did get that from? Steve Job hasn't been minimalist towards UI design for the last decade.

Exactly, I was confused when I first saw the title to this thread. Having used OS X and iOS both are way less minimalist than Windows or Android respectively.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 07:50 AM »
If you read rest of the thread then you'll see, I am making similar point against Linux DE designers.  :D

I meant that as a sarcastic remark on one-button apps.