ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

UK Police Test 'Temporarily Blinding' LASER

<< < (4/4)

f0dder:
All that this new 'police tech' will ultimately end up doing is start an arms race on the streets. Right or wrong, you push hard enough and people start pushing back. Fire a temporarily blinding laser at a crowd and it's only a matter of time before someone fires back at the police with one whose effects are not so temporary. It's your basic tit for tat.-40hz (December 13, 2011, 06:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Even in relatively peaceful & quiet (and "we have strong laws against that") .dk it's not that hard to get hold of a gun. I shudder to think what could happen in the .uk or... ugh... .us.

The only real way to deal with civil disturbance is to get to the root of the problem rather than deal exclusively with the symptoms and manifestations that folllow from it. Because once the cop toys come out of the box, any hope for a peaceful and constructive outcome is pretty much lost.-40hz (December 13, 2011, 06:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Amen. I wish politicians in power would have even a quarter of that level of insight... kinda scary that they don't, considering that it should really be common fscing sense. Yes, they want to stay in positions of power, control and large wads of cash - but can't that be achieve without such blatant disregard of basic rights?

Renegade:
The "non-lethal" weapons aren't really all that safe.
-Renegade (January 02, 2012, 11:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, tazers, like guns, may kill you, but they wouldn't do that if there wasn't someone holding the thing and triggering it in the first place.
It's they who aren't "all that safe" - or legal.
And they know it.
And they don't want their actions to be scrutinized.
Here you go: Seattle Sues Attorney For Requesting Police Dash-Cam Footage

I find that to be quite amazing - kinda scary too. The Renton police cartoons fiasco were bad enough, but at least that fiasco is kinda funny, not scary.
-IainB (January 05, 2012, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Over the past few months I've been working EXTREMELY hard at changing myself and I've made an incredible amount of progress.

Now, that isn't to say that some of the more violent thoughts still don't come to mind, but at least I'm not screaming on the outside anymore (yes -- sometimes I would literally start screaming at some things like this), and even better, I can simply let the initial shock wash over me without screaming on the inside, or at least not for long, or at least infrequently, though I still have that gut reaction...

The link you have there is definitely one of those that would have sent me into a screaming fury before.

Sue for asking for information? Ahem... This is what we call pure, unmitigated evil. It's like walking into a room, shooting someone, then shooting the first person to scream, then asking if anyone else wants to express outrage/shock/whatever.

It's really over the top.

The video there was quite good as well. Some good info and references too.

IainB:
Hmm. We really seem to demonstrate a need to control other people don't we?
Not just the British, but the Japanese apparently also seem to be doing some worthwhile research in disturbance control: Speech-Jamming Gun Silences From 30 Meters
Speech-Jamming Gun Silences From 30 Meters
by samzenpus

MrSeb writes "Japanese researchers have created a hand-held gun that can jam the words of speakers who are more than 30 meters (100ft) away. The gun has two purposes, according to the researchers: At its most basic, this gun could be used in libraries and other quiet spaces to stop people from speaking — but its second application is a lot more chilling. The researchers were looking for a way to stop 'louder, stronger' voices from saying more than their fair share in conversation. The paper reads: 'We have to establish and obey rules for proper turn-taking when speaking. However, some people tend to lengthen their turns or deliberately interrupt other people when it is their turn in order to establish their presence rather than achieve more fruitful discussions. Furthermore, some people tend to jeer at speakers to invalidate their speech.' In other words, this speech-jamming gun was built to enforce 'proper' conversations."

--- End quote ---
I always thought Shintoism was their most effective tool for this sort of thing - and so it was, up until the point when the interfering Americans identified and addressed two systemic causal problems in Japanese society - the Shinto religion and the emperor's state rites, both being embedded in the Japanese paradigm, along with "patriotism".
SpoilerThe politicization of Shinto was typified by a Japanese Ministry of Education ruling of 1932 which acknowledged that Shinto shrines were non-religious establishments for fostering patriotism. State Shinto became a mouthpiece for the militarist regime of the 1930s. After Japan's defeat in 1945 the American Occupation authorities decreed Shinto's disestablishment, ending State Shinto. The emperor's state rites were recategorized as the private rites of the imperial family. End of problem - apparently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version