ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google: Do no evil (once you're caught)

<< < (4/6) > >>

Innuendo:
Still it's us, yes us, who are voting for these people and refusing 'alternatives' and 'third parties' with a convenient excuse that either 'they will become the same' or the perhaps worse 'other options will never be viable'.
-rgdot (February 20, 2012, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

In theory, that's exactly what we should do! In practice, however, at least in the United States anyway, the only difference between Politician A and Politician B (and C and D and E, etc.) are what each promises to do once they are elected. After they've won, they do everything the same way as their predecessor did.

Obama promised change...what I didn't know is that was what he was promising is change is all that would be left in my pockets.

kyrathaba:
I predict that when Congress finally does Trojan Horse its SHITTA act through, and into law, the most brilliant of the tech-brilliant will come up with a resounding reply in some form of darknet. I, for one, will be supporting them.

mahesh2k:
There are many cases going against them.

Google vs Mocality
Google penalized for pharma ads
Google trolling by buying companies with patents
Google forcing privacy policy changes
Discontinued products where they had no chance to gain public information
Bypassing ghostery and ABP

What I find funny is that, journalists from gigaom and other tech news sites are still praising google for whatevery crap they drop. I was checking post from labnol on this issue and i found one comment funny - "bank employees check out accounts often, what's wrong if google does it on their servers". Just because they can doesn't mean we should give them freedom to do manipulate. Tomorrow, what's wrong if we install cam in mall's changing room, bedroom, bathroom? Hey, it's to protect you from some threat. isn't it? I think corporate and government brainwashing is so thick, people are not aware of that where things are wrong and what are their rights.

TaoPhoenix:
As I have before, I will post this same line periodically until mouser bans me:

Still it's us, yes us, who are voting for these people and refusing 'alternatives' and 'third parties' with a convenient excuse that either 'they will become the same' or the perhaps worse 'other options will never be viable'.
-rgdot (February 20, 2012, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have a theory that the flaw in the system is still that people DO get to vote, *for now*, and except for a few shenanigans, those votes are actually counted sorta-correctly, aka not just thrown in the trash. (Side question: Would we still have all this junk if Gore had won the messed up 2000 Hanging Chad campaign? Is that where the Alternate Universe started?)

It's a huge variant of the Prisoner's Dilemma game. We can't (yet!) coordinate ourselves to properly deliver a third party into office and Congress. But we will, *once*. Then we'd get exactly one chance to fix as much as we can before the rabid hounds, beyond livid with apoplectic fury, just cheat and flip a switch and declare martial law and get it over with.

It would be beautiful. "Motion to cancel ACTA. House?" "Passed." "Senate?" "Passed". "Mr. President?" "Signed." "NEXT!"
"Motion to limit the status of Corps as People." "Passed" "Passed" "Signed". "NEXT!"
"Motion to grant generous Fair Use Rights." "Passed." "Passed" "Signed." "NEXT!"

Just drill through 1000 Ultra-Tracked bills to fix 15 years of crap. Then put a rider-lock that says "Reversing these measures will require a constitutional amendment. Adjourned."

40hz:
(Side question: Would we still have all this junk if Gore had won the messed up 2000 Hanging Chad campaign? Is that where the Alternate Universe started?)
-TaoPhoenix (February 21, 2012, 07:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Probably. You had election officials in Florida very obviously trying to influence if not swing the vote. The Republicans were more interested in winning the election than in following the will of the voters, so the State of Florida resorted to every delaying technicality possible to delay verifications in order to run out the clock and force the election (under law) to be declared by the secretary.

To their mind there was little risk in doing so. If Bush won, they could argue it was resolved in a manner in accordance with Florida's byzantine election laws. If they lost, they could accuse the Democrats of "stealing the presidency" and very likely galvanize enough party support to stonewall or otherwise neutralize Gore's ability to do anything if he did become president.

When this started to stink a little too much, (even the Supreme Court did some uncharacteristic backpedalling after the fact when it became clear the pubic was outraged by their decision) the Republicans immediately pulled the "You're Another" propaganda technique by automatically calling many elections, where Democrats won by a narrow margin, as being "fraudulent." Often with nothing to back up the accusation.

There's a danger to crying "wolf" about voter fraud however. The end effect was that the Republicans stripped whatever former sanctity there was from the election process. And this tactic was repeated so many times following Gore's defeat that many Americans are now deeply suspicious of any election result.

So yes. That's where this post-2K alternate reality began IMHO. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version