ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I Need DC Input

<< < (20/22) > >>

tomos:
PS, I have this saved, so I think that's how I resolved it (I'm not recommending this - just throwing it out there!)-tomos (March 05, 2012, 09:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep that looks like the how. However diskpart is not for the uninitiated, as it's an extremely powerful utility that tends to reward type-Os with tragedy.
-Stoic Joker (March 05, 2012, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I got away with it, thankfully.
I remember it was confusing trying to figure out which drive was which....

4wd:
I always used to use the old ptedit.exe to mark a partition inactive but Acronis Disk Director and Paragon HDM can do it from the context menu - so I got lazy ;)

Still, Clevercats external isn't marked as Active so the BIOS is just picking up it's a Primary partition.

CleverCat:
Hmmm - Primary vs Logical  :-\

Time for research!  ;D

4wd:
Hmmm - Primary vs Logical  :-\

Time for research!  ;D-CleverCat (March 06, 2012, 01:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

The short version:
Primary partitions may contain a bootable operating system, you may have a maximum of four (4) primary partitions on one HDD.
Extended partitions aren't bootable and can contain as many Logical partitions as you like, (well you could run out of assigned volumes under Windows if you go berserk).  Each HDD can contain one (1) Extended partition.

In my screengrab below, HDDs marked D:, R:, E: & G: each contain one Extended partition, (it occupies the full HDD), which each have one Logical partition.
Drive U: has one Extended Partition which contains two (2) Logical partitions, one being U: the other being the one with the RAW filesystem, it's encrypted with TrueCrypt and as such is unrecognisable by Windows until mounted.
Drive C: contains two Primary partitions, the 100MB System Reserved that W7 creates and C: which contains the OS.

The drive with System Reserved and C: is the only drive with Primary partitions, hence it's the only one that shows up in BIOS as being bootable.

I do however, have external drives that have a Primary partition because they are bootable.  They boot into an environment that contains various recovery programs, etc.

CleverCat:
Wow, your PC has a 'few' drives  ;D

I guess just leaving my partitions as Primary will hurt nothing....

The new build is progressing  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version