ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I Need DC Input

<< < (19/22) > >>

4wd:
Not sure why my Seagate External is bootable?  :huh:-CleverCat (March 05, 2012, 12:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's most likely because it has a Primary partition that is marked as Active.

You can open Windows Disk Manager and check it.

CleverCat:
Not active - oh well doesn't seem to be a problem so will take off boot list?

4wd:
Not active - oh well doesn't seem to be a problem so will take off boot list?-CleverCat (March 05, 2012, 01:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting, then again, I try never to have any more than one Primary partition on the system, (hence all the drives being Logical above), so I don't normally see any other bootable drive option in the BIOS.

tomos:
I unintentionally made an active primary partition on a usb stick a while back - it did cause some trouble if I booted with it plugged in.
Damned if I can remember how I got rid of it - it took a bit of looking...

But maybe in this case it's not important?

PS, I have this saved, so I think that's how I resolved it (I'm not recommending this - just throwing it out there!)
Spoiler  
jnkevin   08-22-2009 at 03:56:22 PM

1. Windows +R
2. Type "cmd"
3. At the prompt type "diskpart"
4. then after the ">" symbol type " list disk"

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 28 GB 1536 KB
Disk 1 Online 233 GB 993 KB

5.Now select the disk which you want to make INACTIVE (For instance if i want to make my Disk 1 as active i.e where the OS is installed and REQUIRED to boot, i need to select the drive which i want to make INACTIVE. In my example DISK 0)

DISKPART> SELECT DISK 0
Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

6. Type "list partition"

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 28 GB 1024 KB

7. Since there is a single partition on DISK 0, select it by issuing the command "select partition 1"

DISKPART> select partition 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

8.Type "inactive" - this will make disk 0 partition 1 as inactive

=============================
Explanation : This error crops up because you have been in Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management and selected more than 1 drive as ACTIVE together with the one which was already active- the one where your OS was .

Point to remember : THERE SHOULD BE ONLY ONE ACTIVE DRIVE SO YOU CANT SET MORE THAN ONE DRIVE AS ACTIVE

********************************IMPORTANT THING TO DO FIRST ***************************************
Also since you cant get your OS to boot you must specifically select the boot disk from where to boot.
On my PC it was F12-> then i selected "hard disk" from where i had all my drives listed.
From here you must select the drive where your OS was initially installed
Finally run the command 1-8 above the disable the other drives as ACTIVE.
************************************************************************************************

Hope i helped you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clipped from: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/237205-34-make-active-disk-active-dual-boot-problem
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stoic Joker:
PS, I have this saved, so I think that's how I resolved it (I'm not recommending this - just throwing it out there!)-tomos (March 05, 2012, 09:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep that looks like the how. However diskpart is not for the uninitiated, as it's an extremely powerful utility that tends to reward type-Os with tragedy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version