ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I Need DC Input

<< < (16/22) > >>

4wd:
Question: Do we unplug Maxtor from Power Supply and MOBO?-CleverCat (March 01, 2012, 01:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Either is OK.

If it was me I'd unplug the IDE cable from the back of the Maxtor during the install and then afterwards plug in the last connector on the IDE cable, (the black one), not the gray one.

This will match the cabling up with the way the  Maxtor is jumpered, ie. Master device at the end of the cable.

But the power connector is the easiest to get to if you're not bothered.

CleverCat:
Umm - not sure exactly what u mean  by 'last connector on IDE' but have printed out to refer to....

Thanks

See you later - off to do the initial install!

:D

4wd:
Umm - not sure exactly what u mean  by 'last connector on IDE' but have printed out to refer to....-CleverCat (March 02, 2012, 02:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

As SJ said further up the thread, there's 3 connectors on a normal 80 wire IDE cable.

BLUE - Motherboard end (might be green but the following two are standard)
GRAY - Slave device (connector in the middle)
BLACK - Master device (the other end of the cable)

Currently, the Maxtor is plugged into the gray connector.  Because it has been strapped as the Master it should be plugged into the black connector, (ie. the connector at the end of the cable).

It's picture time:

Unplug connector 1, (the gray one), then plug connector 2, (the black one), into the Maxtor.

CleverCat:
Ah - got it! Operation postponed due to having some 'Ducks' not in their row!  ;D

Hopefully today.... :D

CleverCat:
Mission accomplished! BUT....

Can't boot into Maxtor and 3rd boot device disabled in bios and can't enable?  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version