ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I Need DC Input

<< < (4/22) > >>

4wd:
Hit the Delete key at the POST screen to get into the BIOS, (you may need to be rather quick depending on how fast your computer boots).

Then you want: Integrated Peripherals->Onboard IDE Controller

Setting it to Disabled should render the Maxtor hidden from Windows.  F10 to Save the settings and exit.

NOTE: Your machine will now be non-bootable until you either re-enable the IDE interface or install Win7 on the Seagate.

So goes the theory, I have seen Windows identify drives even though the controller was supposedly 'disabled' in BIOS - it's why I prefer to unplug the drive.

If you boot from the Win7 install disk and it only shows the Seagate drive to install to, then it should be OK.

Once you have Win7 installed on the Seagate, you can go into the BIOS again and re-enable the IDE controller.

Under the BIOS Advanced Setup->Hard Disk Drives you'll be able to set which drive you want to boot by default.

WARNING: As with everything: make a backup, make sure it works, don't attempt this if you're not at all confident with playing around in the BIOS.

The BIOS does have a 'Get out of Jail free' card if you do screw up.  Hitting F9 will load the BIOS defaults which should return you to a system capable of booting off your Maxtor, (remember to hit F10 to save).

Also note, if this is your only computer in the house then us friendly people can't render assistance if machine doesn't boot ;)

CleverCat:
Thanks 4wd - will absorb info then decide  :Thmbsup:

Mum says she's willing to delve into the case if necessary, but I've just got to make sure we unplug the right drive!  :)

Thanks again - BTW I'm always fully backed up..... or did u mean the BIOS?

:D

4wd:
Mum says she's willing to delve into the case if necessary, but I've just got to make sure we unplug the right drive!  :)-CleverCat (February 21, 2012, 01:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK, now that's easy :D

ATA drive (Maxtor):

ATA data cable:

Molex power connector:

The molex power plug will be plugged into the point on the drive I've put a red star under.  Unplug the power connector and the Maxtor is history, (figuratively speaking).
They can be a tight fit, so you may need to wiggle it a little to get it to unplug.

Make sure you have disconnected power to the computer, (turn off at power point or unplug power cable at the back).
Watch you don't knock the crap out of something when the molex plug unplugs, (due to hand moving backwards on release).

Plug the molex connector back in when you've finished installing to the Seagate, note the plug is polarised you can only plug it in one way - needless to say, make sure the power is off when you do it.

The Seagate will have a data cable that looks like this, (well, it might not be red):

Is it possible to take the side off of your computer and take a picture with a camera?
I just want to check the arrangement of the drives on the cables before you do anything, (PM it to me if you prefer).

Also, if you could go into Device Manager, (Disk drives and DVD/CD-ROM drives), and get the Location information for each drive including optical.

For example:

I need the info outlined in red to get an idea of how your drives are arranged on the cable(s).

CleverCat:
4wd - have sent PM

:D

4wd:
OK, might have a slight hiccup.

Here's the info from Dev Manager:
Maxtor - Location 0 (Channel 1, Target 0, Lun 0)
Seagate - Location 0 (Channel 0, Target 0, Lun 0)
Optical Writer - Location 1 (Channel 1, Target 1, Lun 0)
--- End quote ---

The above might be indicating that the optical drive and the Maxtor are plugged into the same ATA/IDE port, (since you have only one, this is quite likely).  The problem is that the Maxtor appears to be set as the Master device on the cable, with the optical as the Slave.

Have to wait for the picture to be sure.

It's been a while since I played with ATA/IDE devices, so anyone, (40, SJ), know if the Slave device will still work if the Master is removed?
From what I've read it should still work, we can always go the 'suck it and see' route.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version