ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

Can you spell e-mail?

<< < (3/3)

Deozaan:
I was being a drongo Deozaan - I apologize
-tsaint (December 05, 2006, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thank you, but there is no need to apologize. I figure that if I can't laugh at myself then I'm in denial. Or something.  ;)

nudone:
i admire anyone that can follow the rules of english grammar. i'm pretty terrible at it myself - like most UK residents under a certain age.

but, as i understand it, isn't the english language constantly evolving and adapting, i.e. 'electronic mail' becomes 'e-mail' becomes 'email' (or, at least, will become email eventually). why not just jump on the 'email' wagon and speed up its final total acceptance?

to be honest, i'm just too lazy to type 'e-mail' (as you can see i'm too lazy to use the shift key at the beginning of a sentence) otherwise i'd probably never type 'email'.

my overall excuse for being bad with english grammar is that after reading a few books on the subject and becoming confused by the conflicting opinions of the different authors i just gave up trying.

overall, the great thing about the english language is that even when its rules are (frequently) abused, it's still quite easy to understand.

one more point about the word 'email' - i assume that eventually the word will simply become 'mail' with the 'e' disregarded as superfluous. electronic mail will be the norm and maybe 'snail-mail' will become 's-mail' or 'p-mail' (p for post or parcel).

(sorry about all that. as you can see i live in the future more than in the present.)

Eóin:
“If you take hyphens seriously, you will surely go mad” - Oxford University Press style manual :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version