topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FreeFileSync - automated backup - Mini-Review  (Read 71372 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FreeFileSync - automated backup - Mini-Review
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 05:27 AM »
Latest version update is FreeFileSync v5.23.
Still an excellent backup syncing tool.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Latest version update is FreeFileSync v6.3.
I have made a minor update to the opening post review above.
I have also posted a reference and a link to this review in the user reviews section at http://www.fosshub.com/FreeFileSync.html - it is awaiting moderation.
Still an excellent backup/syncing tool.
When I installed v6.3, the OpenCandy is still there by default in the "Express" install, so make sure you deselect it or select the "Customised" install if you don't want it. The OC method seems annoyingly sneaky.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 05:09 AM »
Installed on Windows 8 laptop yesterday - kept getting an error:

---------------------------
FreeFileSync - An exception occurred
Cannot open file "GlobalSettings.xml".

Error Code 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (CreateFile)
OK  

I created an empty xml file with that name in the programme folder & copied into a 'Bin' subfolder there. It still didnt work so I gave up - today it's working though (didnt reboot - just hibernated, so not sure what resolved it).

Current version has no 'extras' selected - user has to make a choice which seems fair enough.
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 06:49 AM »
Just did a DuckGo search on that error:
 One relevant hit:

Jim
2 days ago

Hi,
Things had been working for me until I upgraded to 6.3 but now FFS just does not start. It displays a dialog with the aforementioned message with the information: "Error Code 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (CreateFile)"

Details: Windows 7 64bit, and nope, FreeFileSync isn't running already that I can see.

Couple of questions - firstly, anyone know straight off what might have happened :) ?
If not - I found the file in AppData/Roaming and ran unlocker against it - it could find nothing using it.

Any help appreciated, really liked this tool.
Jim.

EDIT: I just tried uninstalling and installing a portable version. Same issue but now I have no idea where the GlobalSettings.xml file might be to have a look at it. I can't see it anywhere.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 08:26 AM »
^Missed that one.

Oddly, what happens here is that it starts and works fine if I start it using the shortcut, but gives an error if the exe is started 'directly'.

FWIW, neither of the xml files I created have been used.
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 01:09 PM »
EDIT 2014-12-03 0805hrs: Latest version update is FreeFileSync v6.12.
Still an excellent backup syncing tool.

Interesting post at sourceforge.net: December 2014, “Staff Pick” Project of the Month – FreeFileSync (not copied here).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
EDIT 2015-05-21 1242hrs: Update re latest version (v7.0) + Synchronisation Options, where a separate section entitled Details of Synchronisation Options has been added at the end of the opening post.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 11:33 PM »
Found this promising bit at:

http://sourceforge.n...onth-freefilesync-2/

SF: What is the next big thing for FreeFileSync?

Zenju: The most-requested feature currently is synchronization with smart phones. This is top priority and will be in one of the future versions of FreeFileSync. However. I can’t make any promises as to when it will be available.

Perhaps also of interest:

SF: What is the software development philosophy for FreeFileSync?

Zenju: FreeFileSync takes a drastic approach concerning software development. If something is not right, be it software design or source code, it is fixed, no matter how small or insignificant the problem seems. This seems like a lot of work for tiny problems but it pays off significantly when applied consistently. The complete code base, not only of FreeFileSync but all of my software projects, always matches the current level of my expertise. When I learn something new, I apply and update everything. As my understanding of both technical and human interface problems deepens, the number of things to fix decreases over time and my time investment shrinks. Strategically, this is an advantage because working on the FreeFileSync code base is always fun without this historic baggage.

The advantages of constant code refactoring are well known. For example, the C++11 standard had a profound impact on the code base. As soon as the common set of feature supported by compilers on Windows, OS X, and Linux allowed it, I migrated the FreeFileSync code gradually to using the most recent and improved ways of programming. For me, software development is taken literally and whenever there is something that should be done differently, I believe is never too late to do it now.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:48 PM by ewemoa »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 05:31 PM »
From the 7.1 Changelog (bottom of https://www.freefilesync.org/):

Accept Explorer drag and drop from MTP devices
Support showing MTP files with Explorer
Support opening MTP files with default application
Preselect active MTP folder in folder picker dialog

From the "Which features make FreeFileSync unique?" section of the FAQ:

Synchronize MTP devices (Android, iPhone, tablet, digital camera)

Have yet to try though :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2016, 03:59 AM »
Should this thread be updated? Newest version is 8.5!

Is FreeFileSync adware or donationware?  8)

New:    Donate and >get the FreeFileSync installer< without advertisements as a thank-you
including future FreeFileSync updates
!

Even though I never have tested the program, I made a minor donation ($5), and got this message:

Download FreeFileSync
As a token of appreciation for your donation, please find a version of the FreeFileSync Windows installer without any advertisements below.

parrot(2).jpgFreeFileSync - automated backup - Mini-Review

Download FreeFileSync 8.5 Windows Setup [Donation Edition]
[Your 5.00 USD donation entitles you to free updates via this link until October 31st, 2016]

Of course the question now is if I have any "free updates" AFTER the end of October? (>"free updates via this link until October 31st, 2016"<)
 :-\  :tellme:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:12 AM by Curt, Reason: picture »

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2016, 05:43 AM »
I've used the program, plus others, but of all the options it fits my needs the best. I dislike the installer which is Open Candy or whatever, however it is straightforward to opt out of the "extras".

I also donated once and got the same message. After the thank-you period ends, it's back to business as usual with the standard installer.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2016, 02:20 AM »
^^ Yes, FFS (FreeFileSync) have not changed their packaging model for a long time, AFAIK.
The OpenCandy continues to be a PITA, which I guess could have generated enough complaints for them to offer the ad-free version, if one makes a donation. Probably not a bad idea anyway, really.

FFS is currently on v8.5.0.0. I noticed when I was installing it a week ago that they had started to offer the software "ad-free for a donation".
This might be quite unfair to suggest, but I must admit that, given the apparent frequency of updates of FFS, I had begun to cynically wonder whether they were not "update thrashing" just to multiply the frequency of the OpenCandy being used - i.e., to gain revenue - rather than to release any significantly useful updates. Shades of GS-Base.

Regardless, FFS seems to continue to be an excellent piece of software and is apparently not stagnating.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2016, 05:30 AM »
I had begun to cynically wonder whether they were not "update thrashing" just to multiply the frequency of the OpenCandy being used - i.e., to gain revenue

Of course they are.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2016, 02:37 AM »
I had begun to cynically wonder whether they were not "update thrashing" just to multiply the frequency of the OpenCandy being used - i.e., to gain revenue
Of course they are.
Well, one can only suppose.
"By their fruits ye shall know them."

Lintalist

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Lintalist
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2016, 03:12 PM »
The question you have to ask yourself, do you really want to run any risk with such a potentially critical program (your backups and data privacy) by using a program that might install additional software if you don't pay careful attention?

It used to be quite easy with this program as you could unpack the installer and simply copy the program itself without running the risk of accidentally installing something else. That is now no longer so easy (or has become complicated). So I stopped using it a year ago and no longer recommend it to friends.

I now bought a backup program for piece of mind and support.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:38 AM by Lintalist, Reason: better wording, grammar »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2016, 07:50 PM »
@Lintalist: In answer to that:
I suspect that the risk is a mis-perception and that you may therefore be worrying unduly.
There is in fact little or no risk if software that you want to install at install time also asks you if you'd like to install some other software (PUP = "Potentially Unwanted Program").
You can accept it or not.
PUPs are not viruses (at least, not yet, anyway).

If you have a decent AV program - I use MS Defender (Security Essentials) AND MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) - then they will in any event nowadays usually catch the PUPs and ask you if you'd like to delete them.

Even if you did accidentally let a PUP in, you could uninstall it later, without difficulty. As I said, PUPs are not viruses.

I would quite understand, if one was of a nervous disposition, that PUPs might seem like a scary risk, but they aren't, so you would probably be advising your friends from a position of ignorance.

PUPs are usually merely annoying "push" apps -especially if they slip through without one's approval. I got a real PUP on an otherwise "clean" laptop last night - SysTweak (https://blog.malware...-with-5-star-awards/)
I suspect it was either as a result of my 6y/o son downloading a game, or (more likely) a 4-hour Steam re-install and download of Fallout 3 (the original files had been wiped by a forced install of Win10-64 "Anniversary Update"). Anyway, this morning, MBAM found the PUP and I told it to delete it.

Lintalist

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Lintalist
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2016, 12:50 PM »
Perhaps not the thread to discuss this but I don't feel I'm worrying unduly. I've spent way too much time (many hours) fixing & cleaning up other peoples computers (sometimes complete re-install of OS). Not everyone pays attention or knows what they are doing I'm afraid. I don't agree PUPs aren't scary, I think they are plenty of nasty PUPs out there (bitcoin mining, browser tracking and redirecting etc, some are difficult to remove).

In FFS case the dev. is playing games to make things difficult to bypass (there is a lengthy thread on the www.portablefreeware.com forum about the cat & mouse games on how to bypass the installer and avoid installing it with a pup).

I'm happy to have spent money on a professional program with professional support.

Anyway, some general background links for those interested (some older info at times):
http://www.howtogeek...are-heres-the-proof/
http://www.howtogeek...0-download.com-apps/

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FreeFileSync - 2016-12-15 Updates to Mini-review
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2016, 02:25 PM »
2016-12-15 0717hrs: Updates to the OP (Mini-Review):
  • Version is now v8.7.

• There are a raft of new/improved features - now numbering 30+

• The developers put a forced option on users - you either get FFS $FREE with Candyware, OR you start paying periodically recurring licence fee $donations (each time the "thank-you period" ends) - that gets you the temporary FFS Donation Edition with "bonus" (hah-hah) features including:
    • ad-free installation without Candyware
    • auto-updater
    • portable zip package

• There is an introductory video (quite good) on the website.

• I have copied to the foot of the OP (Review) above a review that I posted on the FFS website, giving them some feedback:
    Review of FFS posted at https://sourceforge....reefilesync/reviews/
    by Slartibartfarst (5 Stars rating)
    2016-12-14

FFS is an excellent $FREE backup tool. It also has one of the most sound ergonomically-designed GUIs that I have come across. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for good, reliable backup software. Why would you NOT want to use it?
    As a regular and committed user of FFS (FreeFileSync) since 2012, I wrote a very favourable mini-review of FFS at the DonationCoder.com Forum. That review is periodically updated. Only read it for the information it might give as an introduction to using FFS and/or especially for the comments from people on the forum, who are generally keen fans of using good and innovative software - such as FFS, for example.

FFS is an excellent $FREE backup tool - BUT, the single biggest downside to the tool seems to be the Candyware approach that insists on installing PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs).
    I fully understand that the Candyware is done out of necessity for funding and that it may also explain the high frequency of updates/changes released for FFS. However, Candyware is simply a huge PITA - it upsets the AV (Anti Virus) software and MBAM (Malwarebytes) - and rightly so. Goodness knows what CR#P it is trying to install.

Unfortunately for FFS, Candyware seems to be the single biggest negative reason that many potential and existing users have mentioned to me for NOT using FFS and for instead using some other (and possibly inferior) backup software. I just thought I'd mention that, because it drives users away, which is not a good thing and the developers would presumably know that - so it is probably all done with deliberate method.

So, FFS is an excellent $FREE backup tool - but the $cost?
    Well, you either pay for it with your time and inconvenience from the repeated PITA of Candyware installs and then (say) stop using it because you get sick of that, OR you stump up a $donation.

I actually consider that having the forced option to donate and thereby getting a Candyware-less and also a PORTABLE ZIP installer that auto-updates is a relatively smart and sane way to go - so, all kudos for doing that However, no-one likes being coerced by having their arms twisted, and this will therefore probably antagonise some people (I know it does me) and may even put them off and who otherwise could be giving positive WOM (Word-Of-Mouth) advertising - rather than negative - about FFS - to their friends and relatives. This is reflected in some of the comments in the DonationCoder.com Forum.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2016, 06:44 PM »
@Lintalist: Having just download and installed the FFS v8.7 setup (installer), I thought it might be useful or of interest to you - and others with similar concerns re Candyware - if I noted a few observations about the installation process:
  • The download itself did not cause an alert from the AV component in either WinDefender or MBAM.
  • When the installer was executed, it immediately triggered a PUP alert (re the Candyware) from MBAM, but nothing from WinDefender. So I set MBAM to let the installer run this once instead of automatically immediately quarantining it as usual (can't be too careful where children are using the laptop).
  • The installer ran, but it had a disabled "ZIP" install option button (it was greyed out). It had not been thus disabled in the v8.5 installer. This is presumably how the developers now control those users who want a "portable" install in the "$FREE" version. This functionality is presumably now only enabled for the $donation users, so the developers have thus deliberately reduced the value of what the $FREE suckers users get, in order to increase the differential of the value proposition for getting the $donate version. Shonky tactics.
  • The installer requested access several times through the firewall to addresses on the Internet. I run WFC (Windows Firewall Control) and have it set to pop up manual approval windows for any such firewall access requests from new proggies that have not previously been given access. So I just temporarily blocked each request as it arose ("block for now and ask me later"). The installer continued to run after each block.
  • At no time did the installer present me with an option to accept/reject any Candyware installation. (Was the same for the v8.5 installer.)
  • The installation finished normally and apparently without installing any PUP. (Was the same for the v8.5 installer.)

After making these observations, I would guess that, in pursuit of max "$monetisation", some developers may be treading a very fine line between distributing a sound and stable product and deservedly gaining the reputation for deliberate trojan virus-spreading. The developers for FFS are presumably in that bind and this is an example of that. It is what from some perspectives could be an arguably shameful use of Candyware and excessively frequent updates as a mechanism for incrementally marginally ripping people off whilst euphemistically calling the product "$FREE" or "$donationware" (though "$coercionware" might be more applicable).

The so-called "business model" for developers using sourceforge.net seems to have been broken in favour of something less than ethical.
At the moment, there seems to be no security "risk" (for me) to continue using updates to the $FREE version and as @x16wda indicates, no real advantage in, nor incentive for using the $donation version, since it seems at best to be nothing more than a temporary rental/licence.

I would usually consider buying a lifetime licence for a product that I liked/needed, but probably not for FFS now, after what has gone before. One might be able to get away with arm-twisting/lying/cheating/abusing and even stealing from people for a long time, but eventually the silent majority will say "enough" - e.g., (say) as US President Nixon learned, and as the more recent presidential campaigners apparently belatedly discovered. Given the chance, people will tend to vote with their feet.

There was an amusing cartoon of Nixon's head with a caption under it that said "Would you buy a used car from this guy?" Says it all really - though for a long time people evidently did buy into what Nixon said.
So, good as the product is, I'm not entirely sure that I'd buy a "lifetime" licence from the developers of FFS after their apparently relatively poor showing on the commercial front. Similarly for InfoSelect - another of my favourites.
As I have said elsewhere:
“By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them.”
 - Matthew 7:16

Lintalist

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Lintalist
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2016, 11:42 AM »
@IainB thanks for the follow up information, useful information for others as well I'm sure.