ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... several diagnostic tools

(1/3) > >>

barney:
Folk,

If you've been following mouser's hard drive crash thread, you'll know the whys and wherefores of some of this.  If not, I'll try to be clear.

I've just transferred from a Dell laptop to a Gateway/Acer.  Went from an Intel Core i7 to an i3.  Same RAM (4G), same OS (Win7 Ultimate 64-bit).

But in the process of moving stuff from the Dell, I seem to have hosed the Gateway/Acer.  I cannot load anything from the onboard server (Apache 2.2) via localhost, 127.0.0.1, or win74ggw (hostname).  Always the message that the connection was reset.  And I have questionable connectivity to MySQL (v5.x):  SQLYog connects, but Database WorkBench v4.x says it's not allowed.  I've totally disabled UAC - which I don't like to do - but I still have issues.  Since most everything I do Web-wise involves a database, that may be why the Web pages don't work - one of the first includes is a database connection script.  Oh, yeah, I'm also getting BSODs involving memory management.

So.

First off, I'd like a recommendation for a reasonably decent memory test proggy in order to help isolate the BSOD cause.  I don't think it's RAM, but no sense in skipping what could be a vital test.  Then I'd like to get some recommendations on tools to discern the database connectivity and Web reset  faults.

The last time I was directly involved in IT was 2000-2001 (retirement has its benefits  :-*), so my toolkit is woefully out of date as, apparently, is my skill set  :'(.

This is kinda embarrassing  :-[:  I'm the go-to guy for a number of local folk for both hardware and software  :-[ :-[.

Yes, I know I could prolly find all this via search.  But this has already cost me a calendar week, and I have deadlines.  Besides, I don't know of any search engine that could replicate the knowledge and experience that resides here  :-* :-*.

bscott:
For memory testing I use the free memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/).

You can download either an Iso or floppy disk image and then boot from the cd or floppy to run it.

There is also memtest86+  (http://www.memtest.org/) which does the same thing.

barney:
'K.  I have that.  Just figured there'd be some new kid on the block. 

Floppy?  You might be as old as me  :P.  Although I do have a USB 3.5" floppy drive, I don't know that I could find diskettes for it  :P.

Now all that's left is the security issue  :(.

iphigenie:
I found that getting network stuff like services access etc. was one area where 7 can be fiddly. Homegroup functionality for example can get in the way.

Things it could be:
- apache problems. Some file or certificate or some part of the config is unhappy with the machine change
- firewall/malware scanner problems
- tcpip configuration
- connectivity to mysql, either a config needs changing or the mysql user access settings
- interference with tools, sometimes these beautiful manufacturer support service tools are php/apache based. unlikely that they use the port you do, but worth a check
- i can probably keep thinking of more but hopefully won't need to

MS has a primitive network troubleshooter that should have a tool to check the setup for remote access
There should be a security event log in the event viewer (except I cannot see the network log here on mine) - should help you spot if it is one of the core windows features interfering or not. It might not be, so worth checking

"connection was reset" can mean either that something prevented you from connecting, or that your server request errored and died, so it might be worth checking the apache error log to eliminate that possibility. It might give you a good hint to look at the access log as well and see if your server receives the requests or not, that eliminates a lot of possibilities if we know which

4wd:
'K.  I have that.  Just figured there'd be some new kid on the block. 

Floppy?  You might be as old as me  :P.  Although I do have a USB 3.5" floppy drive, I don't know that I could find diskettes for it  :P.

Now all that's left is the security issue  :(.
-barney (February 18, 2012, 12:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Win7 has a memory tester, it's also available on the installation DVD, IIRC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version