ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I spy...with my little eye...on my hard drive...

<< < (3/4) > >>

lanux128:
to OP, you might be interested in what one of our member came up with, Locate32 Live Search.

• https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28248.0

iphigenie:
For very simple file/content search i use total commander

For more advanced needs I have just recently got a project that needs me to search a lot in documents, so had that need again.

I tried archivarius but I struggled with the way it presents the results. I have to search several hundred times in a pot of documents to find date/price of purchase of something. Might be in a spreadsheet, might be in a pdf or a letter. I would have loved it if archivarius showed me just enough of the results that I didnt need to open the document. Also had a lot of stuff indexed I didnt want indexed, it's almost too good and sees too many things. Instead of spending the time to tweak the config, i went to look for something less powerful that would work out of the box for my needs

Right now I found docfetcher, http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net/en/index.html , an open source beta tool. It does less document types and is more focused in searching through defined sets than all your documents, but it's quite useful. If it stays useful through this it will get my February project donation, else I'll go give archivarius another try.

MerleOne:

So does anyone know of any other desktop search programs than can index network shares that won't cost an arm and a leg? A modern interface that shows file previews & doesn't look like it was programmed for Windows For Workgroups would be a major plus.

-Innuendo (February 17, 2012, 02:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did you try lookout v 1.30 you can still find as a freeware (Apache License) here and there on the net.  Microsoft bought the technology and integrated it (supposedly) in Desktop Search, the main difference is that the original version works much better and is not bloated.  It's mainly built to index outlook messages but it also indexes regular files (including office format, up to 2003 at least).  I would give it a go.

tranglos:
Warning: this post is entirely off-topic. It's all Armando's fault!

Sorry, couldn't help it.
-Armando (February 18, 2012, 11:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

OMG, Armando! What have you done? The blurb goes like this:

SpinbitZ is a philosophy of vision-logic interfaces for the percept-based illumination of abstract concepts. In tracing a nondual thread of rationality to its pre-Socratic roots, we find the axis-mundi hidden within Zeno’s paradox, and within nondual rationality. With the help of a hundred illustrations, we trace this embryogenesis of rationality, as it reconnects to the alternative lineage of Deleuze, with a nondual fusion of Spinoza and Leibniz. We also find that mathematics mirrors this embryogenesis and holarchical structure. Interface Mathematics transitions from the “oppositional forces” of dualism, ultimately again to the “intensive” truths of the nondual. In making mathematics visible and understandable, the two fundamental axes of conceptual thought are shown. Spinoza’s “three infinities” are then seen as the triune interface between these axes, for illuminating and reconciling the many paradoxes of infinity as they wind their way into the truths of modern mathematics. See print book.

--- End quote ---

I burst out laughing four lines into the paragraph. Seeing as this is a free ebook of 750 pages, I was convinced this was a machine-generated text, from  something like this maybe, published with a cover and all the accoutrements as a proof-of-concept for Lulu. Hey, one of the first apps I ever wrote was a haiku generator, so my perception is colored that way. Back in the 90s machine-generated fake po-mo treatises were somehow big on (what passed for) the web back then.

So I downloaded the book to check it out and... that was when I stopped laughing. Man, I don't think it is fake! Or machine-generated. It seems quite real indeed. Amazon sells it (not a single review). It has a homepage with more blurbs and recommendations from authors of similar - um, texts. Scroll to any random page, and it goes like

The uni-axis is thus the omni-non of extension with its polarity and cultivated third between omni-extension in the ONE and the non-extension of an immanent singularity at one Euclidean point. An interesting feature, therefore, shared between the infinite I/T uni-axes, and the one omni-axis which they compose, is that they ALL converge and overlap at the transcendent pole of the ONE. At the same time, however, the immanent poles of any two selected uni-axes, at whatever scale you may choose, are  separated by an “infinite number” of other uni-axial singularities (see Figure 8-A below).ii*
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's a footnote and an asterisk. I thought James Joyce was dense. James Joyce couldn't wipe this guy's glasses! And, this is Volume I. No kidding. Therefore...

I am officially demoting myself to a lower species.

Way lower, somewhere half-way down the food chain. Specimen who write, edit, read and discuss a body of text like this are not the same species as me. Not even the same family. Next to this, I'm somewhere between lichen and, dunno, Pleurodelinae maybe.

This book is either a work of some cosmic genius (distributed for free on the net, the default channel for all the works of cosmic genius), or it is a new Principia Discordia for our new post-semiotic age. Or "age".

Excuse me while I slither into a dark corner of my cave and try banging a couple of rocks together. Gotta start somewhere! See Figure 1-a.

Armando:
@tranglos : hehe. Yup, quite a book. It is "real". I'd say it probably belongs to "Transgressing the Boundaries: Toward a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity" 's *** category of book. Life is too short to really find out though, so I decided to just use the book as desktop search software test tool. My apologies to the author. :)

(I belong to that lower species too.)

I tried archivarius but I struggled with the way it presents the results. I have to search several hundred times in a pot of documents to find date/price of purchase of something. Might be in a spreadsheet, might be in a pdf or a letter. I would have loved it if archivarius showed me just enough of the results that I didnt need to open the document.
-iphigenie (February 19, 2012, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Archivarius isn't perfect, but I never got the problem you describe : you can filter results by documents types, name, see the excerpts containing what you're searching instead of the full text, etc. which is very convenient. That said, IMO the best implementation of filtering is in X1 through columns and Boolean operators.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version