ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

I want to try an experiment on the site for March 2012

<< < (17/20) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Ok.. after chewing over everyone's comments, I decided to abandon the one month ad experiment for now.

Not because I think there is anything wrong with experimenting -- but because I think the comments exposed that I didn't have a good reason for doing it other than basic curiosity.  So I think instead we will wait until there is some question worth answering -- some new idea to experiment with.  If you think of anything that might be worth an experiment let us know.
-mouser (March 02, 2012, 03:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed, and being a have your cake and eat it too kind of guy. I'd say why not do both... Leave the main page/site intact and untouched. Then put up a separate (but site accessable) Ad experiment page that clearly says this is an experiment at the top...and contains only ads below. That way participation could be complete voluntary for those that could/would/did go to said page periodically to effect the necessary traffic.
-Stoic Joker (March 02, 2012, 06:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

To give Mouser some credit, I feel that this is far from "idle curiousity". I think it's one of the ten biggest issues of the entire web/internet. It's a simple clash between Moar Money Needs Ads, vs Ticked Off Users Leave, thus leaving Less Money. Then it's a Site Specific question for every site in existence.

So only y'all would know where on the curve DC falls. (Can we invite Randall Munroe of xkcd to play on this theme? Someone give him a pizza. This is right down his alley.)

Next up, I'll also amplify Joker's post because it mirrors my own from a while back - every existing ad installation is somewhere on another curve (!!) about Unobtrusive/Ineffective Ad Impression vs Violent/Negative Ad Impression. This is all because the ads are on "what you are doing".

The awesome idea Joker and I are playing with (and satirizing) is make the ads *the Destination.* Build the entire page to add things to do with the ads. Knowing a little about the crowd here it has potential to be an Underground/Cult hit. I think there's a wee bit of social culture statement to be made behind the scenes too. But come on, think about it - a site full of *coders* (and hangers on like me) - I (delightfully) shudder to think of how viciously we can overturn the entire ad "experience" in that proposed month.

iphigenie:
And here I was planning how to target google ads so they would appear here, to sell my wine.
All in vain... although I hadnt figured it out yet

TaoPhoenix:
And here I was planning how to target google ads so they would appear here, to sell my wine.
-iphigenie (March 02, 2012, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

No no no my friend, you're doing it wrong!

You're a member, right? And you want to sell something, right? And the only people who will see this post/page are ... visitors here, right? The name of the site is *Donation*(Coder), aka we're already doing "once my happiness threshold is reached we'll donate", so they've already got a payment structure set up, which is usually the hardest part. (And it's good ol' Mouser, not OhDearGawd Paypal!) So post a nice spicy/funny/creative/twilight zone/Stephen King ad and ... ASK us to buy it! See all those other threads - why does Google need to be involved?

Mouser, the model I am describing is the one the chess servers use. You'd just open a similar account to the existing (Coder/Wine Merchant) accounts already here.

Whee, innovation is fun!

app103:
I have decided to run an experiment of my own this month.

On a bunch of my websites I am using my visitors unused CPU cycles to generate Bitcoins while they are on my website. I will only be using the CPU cycles of anyone that is dumb enough to run around on the internet with a Java plugin enabled in their browser and doesn't use a script blocker.

If I can generate more cash value that way than displaying ads, I may reduce or eliminate the ads on my websites.

Any site where I am doing this now carries the following link near the top of the page:

Why your computer fan turns on when you visit this website.

I'll let everyone know at the end of the month how this little experiment pans out. I don't anticipate continuing it past this month, but I am open to surprises that may change my mind.

iphigenie:
-iphigenie (March 02, 2012, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

No no no my friend, you're doing it wrong!

You're a member, right? And you want to sell something, right? And the only people who will see this post/page are ... visitors here, right? The name of the site is *Donation*(Coder), aka we're already doing "once my happiness threshold is reached we'll donate", so they've already got a payment structure set up, which is usually the hardest part. (And it's good ol' Mouser, not OhDearGawd Paypal!) So post a nice spicy/funny/creative/twilight zone/Stephen King ad and ... ASK us to buy it! See all those other threads - why does Google need to be involved?

Mouser, the model I am describing is the one the chess servers use. You'd just open a similar account to the existing (Coder/Wine Merchant) accounts already here.

Whee, innovation is fun!
-TaoPhoenix (March 02, 2012, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

It was more in the spirit of experimentation - how site specific can you do google ads if you really try?

As for selling wines, it's so geographically specific it makes less sense here. You're all spending your spare cash on software anyway :p

Just kidding

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version