ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

I want to try an experiment on the site for March 2012

<< < (4/20) > >>

tranglos:
But if you are going to do experimenting, I would also encourage you to experiment with Project Wonderful, as well.
-app103 (February 17, 2012, 03:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Whoa... looking only at their front page:

they do ugly, animated (!!) gifs with garish colors, which totally make it impossible to read the text they are sitting next to. I don't know, but that seems rather last century. As the person on the business end of an ad, I'll take adsense over this any time.

justice:
I think that your success will depend a lot on where you put the ads. Do you have an example of an textad and where were you thinking of placing them?
For example put them on the right hand side and people will probably ignore them.
Put them in between the opening post and any comments could work very well but is a lot more noticable.
Put them after the thread but before the comment box and that might be a good balance to have eyeballs but not interrupt the reading.

If you want to discuss also similar ideas, you could think about dc member sponsoring a form board using their donation coder credits.

wraith808:
But if you are going to do experimenting, I would also encourage you to experiment with Project Wonderful, as well.
-app103 (February 17, 2012, 03:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Whoa... looking only at their front page:
 (see attachment in previous post)
they do ugly, animated (!!) gifs with garish colors, which totally make it impossible to read the text they are sitting next to. I don't know, but that seems rather last century. As the person on the business end of an ad, I'll take adsense over this any time.

-tranglos (February 17, 2012, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

As App said, you can pretty well control what shows up.  The places that I know that use it never show animated gifs.

AzureToad:
they do ugly, animated (!!) gifs with garish colors
-tranglos (February 17, 2012, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's for this very reason that it's my preference.  I've been VERY frustrated when I click on a link thinking it's part of the page or article or download I'm looking for, only to find out it's an ad.  At least these animated gifs make it clear to me that what I'm looking at is (probably) not related to the article I'm reading.

My request is that if you do put ads on the page (and I have no problem with that), that you at least make it readily apparent that it is what it is.

mahesh2k:
Project wonderful ads are ugly and the CPM rate is horrible. Browse the advertising directory and see what typical budget advertisers are throwing up. It's very low and not worth for this experiment. If I'm not wrong then DC views go above 1k+ (Hell, it should be more than 10-30k) per day and for that PW is not at all suitable. Buysellads, Tribal Fusion or Carbon ads will bring much higher revenue if DC's application gets approval from their sales team.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version