ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

I want to try an experiment on the site for March 2012

<< < (2/20) > >>

mouser:
ps. The last time we tried putting up ads I decided it would be much more consistent with the nature of this site to "advertise" our own stuff -- since we have so many different things going on hear.  Thus was born "Cody Quote" boxes which you see in the sidebar of some of our pages.  That still seems to me like the best thing -- and 1000% preferable to advertising other peoples stuff!

mouser:
Talking to app about different advertising services, it occurred to me that an advertising service that would be really interesting would be one where you could set some fee for showing ads on your site for a day, and then have NOTHING shown unless someone reached that fee.

That might be nice for a site like DC, because we could set the fee high enough that on 350 days of the year there would be no ads, but once a month or so there would be a day of ads for some special event that someone really wanted to get the word out about..  Seems like that kind of thing we might be able to live with..  Interesting idea at least..

rgdot:
One way to emphasis that it is an experiment is to put ads behind a spoiler/click to reveal.

jgpaiva:
i'm just curious about it -- curious to see if the ads bring in less or more revenue then when we tried it in 2007.
-mouser (February 17, 2012, 03:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Talking to app about different advertising services, it occurred to me that an advertising service that would be really interesting would be one where you could set some fee for showing ads on your site for a day, and then have NOTHING shown unless someone reached that fee.
-mouser (February 17, 2012, 04:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
These sound a bit contradicting, if you want to compare different years, you should use the same format in both, I suppose.

mahesh2k:
Let me share my observations.

One month is very short time period for testing adsense ads. Why? there are two reasons ---

1) It takes atleast 2-3 weeks to adsense algorithm to settle down in terms of CPC/CPM value on your site.
2) In one month search engine traffic fluctuation also changes the amount earned by the website, this by assuming search engine users click more compared to regular users.

Few more reasons - ad placement and areas where you can get more or sufficient clicks for consistent revenue can't be evaluated in one month. Google search team is also manually/algorithmically checking the placement of ads and overall content to ad ratio to weight the websites. Considering the donationcoders popularity for some keywords, It may negatively impact website in terms of SEO if ad placement and ratio of ad/content is not as per the algorithm. One more important point is that most of us here are using ABP and considering the tech savvy crowd in DC and surfers in tech niche, It's hard to figure out the type of people, their location and ad placement suitable for them in small period like one month. You can skip this by enabling ads only to search surfers, this will give you better data.

One more point - advertisers in tech niche are paying very low cost per click, so results that you see in one month are not what you see for entire year in terms of revenue generation. In one month you may get more clicks due to surfers finding ads by surprise and and once settled for more than one month you'll start to fetch less clicks. My assumption is that site is likely to get more clicks if tested for just one month but then again the ads are less likely to be relevant if placed on behavioral pattern ( you can disable it in adsense settings). If you set the ads for relevancy then ads are likely to be in tech niche (may or may not be high in cpc value). So..

All this analysis part aside, main point is  - one month is too short time for testing adsense ads. If you want to test ads that convert better in terms of revenue, try carbon ads or buysellads (similar to Project wonderful but they have high paying advertisers). Another option is viglink, Unfortunately I can't test it for now but I'm sure you can because community sites like DC are easy to pass their approval.

My 2 cents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version