ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

I want to try an experiment on the site for March 2012

<< < (6/20) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Also I'll add that it annoys me when sites have "paid premium" memberships that are add free--just bugs the heck out of me..
-kunkel321 (February 17, 2012, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I always thought that was fair enough...
-tomos (February 17, 2012, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed...I always look at it like "Wanna use our stuff for free, we show you ads...wanna help us by donating....then we will reward you by removing them for your account"

Never bothered me before, and I will admit, I have even clicked a few, purely to help the website, even if it is in a tiny way...All those clicks add up!

tranglos:
Also I'll add that it annoys me when sites have "paid premium" memberships that are add free--just bugs the heck out of me..
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Same here, fair enough. But non-supporting members may see it differently :-)

How about a small refinement: when someone registers (and you must register to post), they initially don't see ads - maybe for a month. A trial period, as it were. After a month (or whatever length of time), they start seeing ads unless they have donated. That way everyone can experience the ad-less site and make their choice.

That leaves out only unregistered visitors, who require a separate decision.

Potential problem with this solution is people complaining that OMG, DonationCoder has gone evil with ads! after they've been registered a month, just because they didn't read the ad policy when registering. That could be alleviated by injecting a short reminder on their login and posting screens, such as "You registered n days ago. In m days, dc will start showing ads on some of the pages you visit. Click here to learn why."

tranglos:
...but I'd be OK with an egalitarian Ads For All policy, too. Egalitarian is good.

KynloStephen66515:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Same here, fair enough. But non-supporting members may see it differently :-)

How about a small refinement: when someone registers (and you must register to post), they initially don't see ads - maybe for a month. A trial period, as it were. After a month (or whatever length of time), they start seeing ads unless they have donated. That way everyone can experience the ad-less site and make their choice.

That leaves out only unregistered visitors, who require a separate decision.

Potential problem with this solution is people complaining that OMG, DonationCoder has gone evil with ads! after they've been registered a month, just because they didn't read the ad policy when registering. That could be alleviated by injecting a short reminder on their login and posting screens, such as "You registered n days ago. In m days, dc will start showing ads on some of the pages you visit. Click here to learn why."

-tranglos (February 17, 2012, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, you pose a very intriguing point which poses some very deep thoughts.

This would, however, require mouser, to implement the experiment for much more than a month.

This could actually be a good topic for my idea of a DoCo Research Collaboration (DoCollaborate) Project.

Realistically, this should run for around 6 month, if mouser wants some usable data at the end of it.  1 Month will simply not provide enough to be of any use to anybody.

The mathematics behind something like this, are of great interest and are quite complex.  

This could also help find out how Socioeconomic's (Adj. Relating to or concerned with the interaction of social and economic factors.) come into play, within communities like DonationCoder

:D

*edit*

...but I'd be OK with an egalitarian Ads For All policy, too. Egalitarian is good.

-tranglos (February 17, 2012, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

For those wondering:

Egalitarian: Adj. Of, relating to, or believing in the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.

wraith808:
Egalitarian is good.

--- End quote ---

For those wondering:

Egalitarian: Adj. Of, relating to, or believing in the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities.
-Stephen66515 (February 17, 2012, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... I go for the whole philosophy that egalitarian is the equivalent of putting your head in the sand.  Especially when some contribute and others don't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version