topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Is WinZip still worth updating?  (Read 48142 times)

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is WinZip still worth updating?
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2012, 05:36 AM »
Igor's incorrect about drag & drop, FWIW. Drag sources can provide the files via IStreams and do not have to write the data to temporary files. The data can be sent to the drop target directly from memory if you want.

Re Winzip, I installed it recently to test something and I was really, really impressed... by the amount of garbage they had managed to cram into the installer of what should have been a simple archive tool. It must have taken me 10 minutes to install the stupid thing, click through all the prompts about other software I didn't want and similar nonsense... Really incredible how bad it is now, even before you get to the program itself (which then tries to get you to install even more junk the first time you run it).

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2012, 10:18 AM »
Re Winzip, I installed it recently to test something and I was really, really impressed... by the amount of garbage they had managed to cram into the installer of what should have been a simple archive tool. It must have taken me 10 minutes to install the stupid thing, click through all the prompts about other software I didn't want and similar nonsense... Really incredible how bad it is now, even before you get to the program itself (which then tries to get you to install even more junk the first time you run it).

The hallmark of Corel Corporation!  They buy up well-regarded programs whose developers are cashing out, and try to wring every buck they can out of them by grinding out annual "upgrades" that offer no real improvement, and loading them with marketing tools for their other software properties.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2012, 01:48 PM »
Corel managed to ruin everything they bought so far.

WinZip, btw, is still great for what it is intended to be. It just could need more file formats, .zipx is nice but proprietary. Instead, Corel adds useless backup and similar functionality. They should learn that sometimes less is more.

Corel has a fantastic portfolio. They should use it better.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2012, 03:03 PM »

I mean when I say the following in every conceivable way possible....

Corel is the productivity software counterpart to Electronic Arts. Honorable mention goes to Symantec.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2012, 03:06 PM »
Symantec? Now that's hard.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2012, 04:01 PM »
Corel - the place where great software goes to die!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2012, 04:10 PM »

I mean when I say the following in every conceivable way possible....

Corel is the productivity software counterpart to Electronic Arts.

Electronic Arts isn't *that* bad.  They've made some bad choices (as has Activision), but EA can be localized to a few people, not endemic to the whole company.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2012, 06:50 PM »
Electronic Arts isn't *that* bad.  They've made some bad choices (as has Activision), but EA can be localized to a few people, not endemic to the whole company.

You are being kind, forgetful, or young. :D

What gamers among us have not shed a tear for Bullfrog, Origin, Westwood, and countless others who were bought by EA only to have their companies dismantled & their intellectual property to be locked away in EA's vaults never to see the light of day again.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2012, 10:26 PM »
What gamers among us have not shed a tear for Bullfrog, Origin, Westwood, and countless others who were bought by EA only to have their companies dismantled & their intellectual property to be locked away in EA's vaults never to see the light of day again.

Take a look on GoG.com.  They might not have developed a lot of them, but they've been opening the vaults and a lot of them have found a new home.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2012, 11:38 PM »
Take a look on GoG.com.  They might not have developed a lot of them, but they've been opening the vaults and a lot of them have found a new home.

Feasting off their dead corpses in a money grab doesn't win any points with me, though.

They *are* 'remaking' Syndicate, I guess, but I don't have a lot of optimism for the final results.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2012, 06:25 AM »
After having reviewed the software laying around here, at least I can say that WordPerfect and Corel Draw are still superior applications. I must admit this is not much compared to what they have.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2012, 07:08 AM »
Take a look on GoG.com.  They might not have developed a lot of them, but they've been opening the vaults and a lot of them have found a new home.

Feasting off their dead corpses in a money grab doesn't win any points with me, though.

They *are* 'remaking' Syndicate, I guess, but I don't have a lot of optimism for the final results.

Well then... I don't get the problem.  The bought the talent and made use of it- just because they haven't remade or made sequels (which are very often a let-down - look at the later C&C's)?

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2012, 09:31 AM »
Well then... I don't get the problem.  The bought the talent and made use of it- just because they haven't remade or made sequels (which are very often a let-down - look at the later C&C's)?

They bought the talent, but they did not make use of it. They bought the developers, shut down their studios, and kicked all of the 'talent' to the proverbial curb.

Sitting on the old games for 10-15 years isn't making use of anything, either. It's just trying to get more blood from a turnip. Of course, what we are talking about is just the tip of the iceberg as to what makes EA such a them leading the front on invasive DRM & trying to eliminate the used game market.

Remember the old Electronic Arts? The company that would regularly bring out award-winning games that would blow your mind? Yeah. Me, too. :(

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2012, 09:40 AM »
After having reviewed the software laying around here, at least I can say that WordPerfect and Corel Draw are still superior applications. I must admit this is not much compared to what they have.

WordPerfect is a brilliant word processor. It's used in some industries exclusively (like legal) simply because nothing else can do what it can, including Microsoft Word. I strongly suspect it doesn't do better in the market because the wealth of keyboard shortcuts that need memorizing.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2012, 10:01 AM »
You can use it with the mouse if you feel like it; in contrary to Microsoft Office 2007+ which gives you headaches.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 10:09 AM »
They bought the talent, but they did not make use of it. They bought the developers, shut down their studios, and kicked all of the 'talent' to the proverbial curb.

Not... exactly true.  They made mistakes (and have acknowledged it) in these acquisitions.  But most of those mistakes were those of one-size-fits-all management.  They didn't cut the talent- the talent fled because of bad management of acquisitions.  That's why the current EA has each of these as separate studios that have their own management and culture, i.e. BioWare, DICE.  Hopefully they've learned something, and can balance the needs of making money with those that they serve.

aurelius

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2012, 04:35 AM »
Guess I'm pretty slow but I have winzip and winrar. I updated to winzip 16 this last time out of habit and for the email options. No real reason but I support the development and I should be breaking even any time now. ))

RobC

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2012, 08:26 AM »
I had Winzip 8 (paid for), but was using 7z instead.
I accepted their offer to upgrade to 15.5, mainly to get the self extracting exe creator.
Then I discovered that it is incapable of presenting the recipient of my exe, with a nice simple extract here dialog.
I am so annoyed, that I will never upgrade again.
And I still am using 7z

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2012, 02:39 PM »
7z also has a self extract option - check the help file.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2012, 09:25 PM »
So now Winzip's on v16 and they want me to upgrade from my 15.5 license. They're trying to tempt me with a freebie WinZip Courier license.

Your using version 15.5!!!  I'm still on version 10.0 and it does everything I need it to do on my XP mochine (sic).  I also have 7Zip, probably an outdated version, but I only use it for a few compressions that Winzip don't handle....

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2012, 01:23 AM »
Tinman u r still using v.10 but i still believe the then v 10 would have the same level of compression as the present one.
These v15 n 16 are coming bloated with useless stuffs. but i think i ll switch to v 11 too.  its not always true that new is better.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense