ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

RightNote PRO 50% off

<< < (3/5) > >>

tranglos:
Everyone should buy RightNote if it helps them do what they do! I'm just too old to make the switch.-tranglos (February 16, 2012, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Does that mean you're still using your own seminal KeyNote, despite your comment that the interface is now dated, and your evident preference for the search behaviour of EverNote or CintaNotes?
-rjbull (February 17, 2012, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, all the time. I have 15 KeyNote files, of which 9 are archives of stuff I'm keeping around but won't ever need to modify, and the other 6 are in constant use. My Dreamhost logins, account numbers, travel plans, critically important bits of information I need to keep in my head at work, favorite quotes, cooking recipes, to-do lists, emergency addresses / numbers, registration keys for apps I've bought, Delphi code snippets, discussions-with-myself about how best to implement features in my apps, any random snippet of text I want to keep, up to and including my very real world domination plans and activities.

It's hard to change the habit and hard to move so much data in a way that won't create more mess than I'd be leaving behind.

OTOH, I find that I have almost no use for all the then-unique special features such as virtual nodes, plugins, or all the rubbish on the "resource panel". I even forgot it existed for a while until I accidentally triggered it :-)

Search in KeyNote is weak, but it does let me search all the nodes and notes when I need. I hardly ever need it though. I tend to remember where a particular node is located in the tree, and 90% of the time it is sufficient to locate it instantly.

I use Evernote only for a handful of things that I absolutely want to have on my phone as well. A shopping list, an occasional Google Maps screenshot or address, stuff like that. So I don't ever get to use the search that's actually quite nicely done. Somehow, I am not comfortable in an app where I have nothing but search to locate data.

Let's say you're going through an archive of web articles: is it "Guantanamo", "Guantánamo" or "Gitmo"? Bin Laden, Binladen, Ben Ladin, Ibn Laden or... Google handles all that in one query and checks for typos too, but desktop apps don't.

Tagging would help, as it gives you one fixed term for all the possible variants, but (a) entering tags is tedious; (b) having to remember what that special tag is is even worse; (c) there's always the nagging thought, „what if there's a very important article I forgot to tag"? At that point you're back to searching.

In KeyNote I rely on grouping related items instead, and as long as the tree size is manageable, finding stuff by browsing is very easy and eliminates all worries about missing something just because it was misspelled or not tagged.

Of course RightNote does the browsing just the same *and* has both tags and a better search, so it's totally cool to drop KeyNote for it :-)

superboyac:
Everyone should buy RightNote if it helps them do what they do! I'm just too old to make the switch.-tranglos (February 16, 2012, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Does that mean you're still using your own seminal KeyNote, despite your comment that the interface is now dated, and your evident preference for the search behaviour of EverNote or CintaNotes?
-rjbull (February 17, 2012, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, all the time. I have 15 KeyNote files, of which 9 are archives of stuff I'm keeping around but won't ever need to modify, and the other 6 are in constant use. My Dreamhost logins, account numbers, travel plans, critically important bits of information I need to keep in my head at work, favorite quotes, cooking recipes, to-do lists, emergency addresses / numbers, registration keys for apps I've bought, Delphi code snippets, discussions-with-myself about how best to implement features in my apps, any random snippet of text I want to keep, up to and including my very real world domination plans and activities.

It's hard to change the habit and hard to move so much data in a way that won't create more mess than I'd be leaving behind.

OTOH, I find that I have almost no use for all the then-unique special features such as virtual nodes, plugins, or all the rubbish on the "resource panel". I even forgot it existed for a while until I accidentally triggered it :-)

Search in KeyNote is weak, but it does let me search all the nodes and notes when I need. I hardly ever need it though. I tend to remember where a particular node is located in the tree, and 90% of the time it is sufficient to locate it instantly.

I use Evernote only for a handful of things that I absolutely want to have on my phone as well. A shopping list, an occasional Google Maps screenshot or address, stuff like that. So I don't ever get to use the search that's actually quite nicely done. Somehow, I am not comfortable in an app where I have nothing but search to locate data.

Let's say you're going through an archive of web articles: is it "Guantanamo", "Guantánamo" or "Gitmo"? Bin Laden, Binladen, Ben Ladin, Ibn Laden or... Google handles all that in one query and checks for typos too, but desktop apps don't.

Tagging would help, as it gives you one fixed term for all the possible variants, but (a) entering tags is tedious; (b) having to remember what that special tag is is even worse; (c) there's always the nagging thought, „what if there's a very important article I forgot to tag"? At that point you're back to searching.

In KeyNote I rely on grouping related items instead, and as long as the tree size is manageable, finding stuff by browsing is very easy and eliminates all worries about missing something just because it was misspelled or not tagged.

Of course RightNote does the browsing just the same *and* has both tags and a better search, so it's totally cool to drop KeyNote for it :-)

-tranglos (February 17, 2012, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nailed it!

rjbull:
I have 15 KeyNote files, [...] including my very real world domination plans and activities. -tranglos (February 17, 2012, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Methinks you might be too easily distracted.  As in:
We are tranglos of Borg.  Resistance is futile.  Prepare to be assimilated.  Just as soon as we have added this last little feature.

It's hard to change the habit and hard to move so much data in a way that won't create more mess than I'd be leaving behind. -tranglos (February 17, 2012, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
I made an effort to convert a MemPad file to KeyNote to test import into RightNote.  It seemed to work perfectly, but it's a simple file, no graphics.

Somehow, I am not comfortable in an app where I have nothing but search to locate data.
[...] Let's say you're going through an archive of web articles: is it "Guantanamo", "Guantánamo" or "Gitmo"? Bin Laden, Binladen, Ben Ladin, Ibn Laden or... Google handles all that in one query and checks for typos too, but desktop apps don't.
[...] (a) entering tags is tedious; (b) having to remember what that special tag is is even worse; (c) there's always the nagging thought, „what if there's a very important article I forgot to tag"? -tranglos (February 17, 2012, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
The high-end DOS app Inmagic (long since replaced by DB/TextWorks) had the ability to define synonyms, where searching one of those terms would have searched all of them.  That seems better than the tedious discipline of tagging, especially if you have to store and search data from outside you organisation, where you can't control the terminology.  Synonyms may not be in many desktop apps, but there's no reason it shouldn't be considered.

tranglos:
I have 15 KeyNote files, [...] including my very real world domination plans and activities. -tranglos (February 17, 2012, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Methinks you might be too easily distracted.  As in:
We are tranglos of Borg.  Resistance is futile.  Prepare to be assimilated.  Just as soon as we have added this last little feature.
-rjbull (February 19, 2012, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heck, no! The assimilation can only ever be complete when it occurs on the real and the virtual planes both.

The high-end DOS app Inmagic (long since replaced by DB/TextWorks) had the ability to define synonyms, where searching one of those terms would have searched all of them.
--- End quote ---

That is a very good idea. I just wouldn't want to be the poor sod tasked with cataloging the synonyms :-) But yeah, absolutely. Google does something like that, it goes well beyond mere stemming.

(And oh yeah, post #1000! Happy Assimilation Day, everyone!)

rjbull:
Heck, no! The assimilation can only ever be complete when it occurs on the real and the virtual planes both. -tranglos (February 19, 2012, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for taking that in good part  :)

The high-end DOS app Inmagic (long since replaced by DB/TextWorks) had the ability to define synonyms, where searching one of those terms would have searched all of them.
--- End quote ---

That is a very good idea. I just wouldn't want to be the poor sod tasked with cataloging the synonyms :-) But yeah, absolutely. Google does something like that, it goes well beyond mere stemming.-tranglos (February 19, 2012, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure you'd do it a priori.  In your Guantanamo et al. example, I imagined the user glancing quickly through a new posting, noticing the alternative form, and setting it as a synonym at that point, reindexing if necessary.

I appreciate that converting data between applications is usually problematic, it's easy to stick with what you know, even if (in hindsight) it has shortcomings.  So I'm not surprised that you'd stick with KeyNote.  But, it occurs to me to ask: do you have a well-defined idea of what your ideal would look like, if it isn't RightNote?  AllMyNotes seems to me to do a creditable job of search and display, showing a "mini tree" with the postings in it, and a reminder that one is looking at a filtered view, not the whole tree.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version