topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Help me choose an online backup service  (Read 89168 times)

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help me choose an online backup service
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2012, 11:30 AM »
Moral of the story: be ready to switch suppliers at the drop of a hat!
Moral of the story: "unlimited storage" and "lifetime licenses" aren't sustainable business plans, so expect any such terms to change sooner than later :)

That is true. Though you may still want to reward your first customers/early adopters for their loyalty, otherwise they will stop recommending your service or even worse, start badmouthing it!  ;) To be fair, Mozy did offer me one month free for my loyalty, but I thought my loyalty was worth more than that...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2012, 02:29 PM »
Quick CrashPlan update:

I'm back to 40k/s speeds and occasional notices that backup has stopped for mystery reasons and that the next backup is scheduled for "18 hours from now" (despite initial backup not being done yet) with no way to nudge it to get started again and no hint as to why it's not running.

:huh:

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2012, 04:38 PM »
I used to use Spideroak & Syncplicity in combination - on two different data sets (backup of core and key files for the first, and backup-sync of configs and documents for the second, with some folders on both). I also have local backup and sync of course.

After Syncplicity nerfed their plans (do I see a pattern) I ended up switching to sugarsync for the second one. I've heard of unforgivable past bugs but it's proven OK, and between the two when an important folder disappeared in a defrag accident, I recovered everything.

Dex

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2012, 04:32 AM »
I'd be interested to know what you think about Duplicati (http://www.duplicati.com).

I didn't see it mentioned by anyone in this topic, and it has versions for Windows, MAC and Linux (though I have only looked at the Windows version)
It covers a decent range of online storage services and local drives too

I have it running on one of my PCs backing up to a NAS drive and S3, and like it so far.

Best regards
Derek

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2012, 11:09 AM »
Duplicati looks very interesting, especially in conjunction with Amazon's new(er) Glacier long-term storage service that is relatively cheap. For my 2TB data set, it looks like I'd pay about $30/mo for Glacier, far more than I pay for CrashPlan, but still worth it. It would be awesome if Duplicati could somehow support the CrashPan back-end, but it being proprietary (CrashPlan I mean), that seems unlikely, hehe.

I'm also curious about the cross-platform nature of Duplicati. It says it's primarily programmed in C# and .NET. It also sounds like the dev reimplemented e.g. Rsync and some other things, but I get the impression the Duplicity Python back-end is still being used in at least some way (which would explain part of its cross platform capability). I suppose my question is how the GUI is handled on each platform. I ask because I'm inherently a bit wary of interpreted languages due to overhead and inefficiency, and both Python and Java that CrashPlan is programmed in have this potential issue. That being said it's a much easier way to get cross platform code...

Unfortunately I don't have an easy way to test Duplicati on my full backup data set, but I'm quite curious how it would compare to CrashPlan in terms of memory use. I'll see if I can get a chance to test it at some point.

- Oshyan

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2015, 07:51 PM »
I have added an update to my CrashPlan review. In short: I have stopped using CrashPlan because the memory use continued to suck. I am now using iDrive. Details if you're interested:
https://www.donation....msg381832#msg381832

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2015, 06:13 AM »
Well I'm going to have to read this since I am still using CrashPlan..

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2015, 02:34 PM »
Before anyone switches to iDrive, you should read the latest update post in my CrashPlan review thread:
https://www.donation....msg382264#msg382264

- Oshyan