ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me choose an online backup service

<< < (25/27) > >>

JavaJones:
What you say about their forum was not entirely the experience I had when I last checked/used it, but that was more than a year ago. My experience differed in the fact that I saw plenty of complaint threads, so it did not seem so much like the forum was "sanitized", and there was a reasonably level of response from support there, but still too many unanswered questions, particularly more obscure issues. In other words, I found that it was not a censorship issue (though that may be the case now, if they've decided to clean things up), rather they answered easy questions (um, yay?), but sometimes left harder ones unanswered, which is really the opposite of what's needed in a way; the easier questions should be covered by FAQ usually...

Anyway, glad to hear you got a quick response. Overall I was happy with their support and my direct contact with them, I think their forum support just may not be the best contact method.

Also, that review is pretty much worthless. The guy mentions no real, actual problems besides a default he doesn't like/agree with for what to backup (a default that I personally think is quite reasonable), and that the upload bandwidth being used wasn't ideal. But then he writes snarky and totally non-applicable responses to the legitimately helpful CrashPlan support rep that comments on his review. The rep said nothing promotional, they merely explained the choice of default and a possible reason for the slow upload, both of which could address his only reported issues. He fails to comment on the efficacy of the recommended fixes, spending several paragraphs simply saying how dumb the default is and how promotional the obviously not promotional CrashPlan post is. His responses to other comments are also terrible. Meanwhile his review title/headline implies that CrashPlan actually *crashed*, which he does not report at all in the text of the "review", again only citing what are essentially *defaults he doesn't agree with*. Whoopty fricking do. Sorry mouser, I'm a bit surprised you actually linked to that one. ;)

- Oshyan

f0dder:
Whoopty fricking do. Sorry mouser, I'm a bit surprised you actually linked to that one. ;)-JavaJones (October 31, 2012, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, me too. The guy is a total douchebag appletard.

mouser:
Ok ok i get it! I should have read it more carefully before posting.  :-[

dr_andus:
There are a ton more of these services (mozy, sugarsync, etc.) that i haven't looked into yet.

So.. anyone gone through the process of evaluating these services have any recommendations?
-mouser (February 15, 2012, 04:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't done much evaluating and comparing but I've used MozyHome for years (at one point backing up 3 PCs but now I'm down to 2, one ancient WinXP and a 2-yr old Win7) and it does everything on your list. But the costs will naturally go up if you keep adding PCs and data.

-dr_andus (October 20, 2012, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

If I haven't done much evaluating recently, then I will do some now. Since my earlier post I've received a message from Mozy saying the "The Unlimited subscription plan" I was on for the past 5 years or so "is no longer available" (i.e. being discontinued in 3 weeks) and my plan "will be automatically renewed to one which supports your current usage needs."

My current storage is 200GB (2 PCs), and I was paying around USD100 per year. Under the new plan I would be paying almost USD190 per year. That's a whopping 82% increase (at exact figures) at 3 weeks notice!

Moral of the story: be ready to switch suppliers at the drop of a hat! I've been also looking at this review (which didn't rate Mozy very highly anyway) to weigh up my options.

f0dder:
Moral of the story: be ready to switch suppliers at the drop of a hat!-dr_andus (October 31, 2012, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Moral of the story: "unlimited storage" and "lifetime licenses" aren't sustainable business plans, so expect any such terms to change sooner than later :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version