ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me choose an online backup service

<< < (20/27) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Nice answer.

I'd seen that kind of info, but I was wondering about Mouser's remark that stopping and starting the process seemed to help.

mouser:
There are some posts on the web talking about tricks to force java apps to let go of memory or use less memory.

While Wraith has a point -- it may actually make more sense than one might think to try to trick a java app into using less memory -- precisely because, unlike 99.9999% of applications, it seems that the Java runtime does explicitly make some dynamic decisions about how much memory to claim and when to release it.  Which means that if you can convince Java that it shouldn't be using so much of your system memory, and perform garbage collection more frequently, you *may* be able to keep it in check.  That's assuming that the memory use problems of CrashPlan aren't due to memory leaks in the code..

Ath:
if you can convince Java that it shouldn't be using so much of your system memory, and perform garbage collection more frequently
-mouser (April 19, 2012, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
You actually can. By calling the static method System.gc(); a number of times (3 to 8 seems appropriate), that way you shift so many discarded objects into the 'destroy' bin that the memory is actually released. That can cost you performance for a few hundred milliseconds, but it is often worth the effort.

It also helps to not have circular object-references within discarded objects in your application, but that's ofcourse a matter of carefully crafting your application, and/or null-ing an object or 2 in the right place & time 8)

Memory management in (long-running) Java applications is just as important as memory management in a C/C++ application :up:

tomos:
there was a request lately: IDEA: Application memory limiter

John L:
Interesting thread.  And I think I'll begin posting right here.

As for imaging, I have Acronis and have used it, although I haven't recently.  My Bad!  But I never had problems, so I didn't have to use the latest image.  I really need to check into the best imaging software, and make certain I can use it as a reboot should everything fail.

Concerning backup, I think Barney still has the best solution.  But I would be hard pressed to use five extra 2TB drives.  That's perhaps a bit of overkill IMO.  But two, or even three backup drives in different locations?  To my thinking that is the very best solution.  I keep two Samsung 2TB drives and they are loaded with well over 1TB of music, all in 320kbs format.  I have a Huge collection of Contemporary Jazz, New Age, and Classic Rock.  If I lost that collection, I would be in an almost total state of depression from there on out.  It would cost me thousands of dollars, or an unG-dly amount of time just to come close to recovering what I already have.

Uploading onto the internet is fine, but doing all this locally, and spreading them out,........just in case, is the very best solution I can come up with.  Granted one would have to remember to go around with an up to date drive, switch it with the old one, and then return it for updating.  But that way the owner of the data is required to keep active and alert to any problems.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version