ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me choose an online backup service

<< < (19/27) > >>

jity2:
Thanks Mouser!  Have a great day. ;)

Giampy:
I'm still using the CrashPlan trial but I cannot bring myself to commit to it because it's sitting here in the tray using 250mb of ram(!)

The CrashPlan developers seem at a complete loss as to how to prevent their application from going on a rampage consuming memory.  They know it's happening because people are complaining on the forum about it, but they can't seem to fix it.
-mouser (March 12, 2012, 07:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Such situations drive me mad. Is it really necessary that CrashPlan continuously controls the activity of the user? Couldn't CrashPlan leave to the user the possibility to activate the back-up service only when he/she wishes???

mario_a:
Here's an interesting blog post about Crash Plan losing all of a user's data:
http://jeffreydonenfeld.com/blog/2011/12/crashplan-online-backup-lost-my-entire-backup-archive

In the comments to this blog post, many users have reported various data loss, upload issues and support issues with Crash Plan as well...

TaoPhoenix:
CrashPlan was the best I found but I simply could not get over the insane memory use issues, so i dropped it after my 30 day trial.  However I may try it again at some point.
-mouser (April 16, 2012, 01:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

What about those "Memory Reclaimers" that used to be all the rage a few years ago? I know, I saw the articles that many/most of them didn't actually work but just fiddled with interconnected stats, but just suppose it's "just a memory leak bug", why not just use a utility that reclaims the memory as if it were stopped and started? Just set the mem-util settings so that it doesn't actually interfere with CrashPlan, etc.

wraith808:
CrashPlan was the best I found but I simply could not get over the insane memory use issues, so i dropped it after my 30 day trial.  However I may try it again at some point.
-mouser (April 16, 2012, 01:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

What about those "Memory Reclaimers" that used to be all the rage a few years ago? I know, I saw the articles that many/most of them didn't actually work but just fiddled with interconnected stats, but just suppose it's "just a memory leak bug", why not just use a utility that reclaims the memory as if it were stopped and started? Just set the mem-util settings so that it doesn't actually interfere with CrashPlan, etc.
-TaoPhoenix (April 19, 2012, 07:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't trust *any* of those reclaimers, and I think that anyone that has an idea of Windows memory management would tell you the same thing, especially with GC'd languages.

RANTALL software that claims to free memory, optimize memory, etc. is a bunch of lies.

Here's how they work:

You have 8GB of RAM and 4GB paging file. You are currently running a bunch of programs that require, say, 256 megs of RAM, but most of that RAM isn't actively being used. These programs run and allocate 384 megs of ram which causes the operating system to page ALL of your existing applications to disk. Then they free that RAM. The operating system begins paging those applications back into memory as they touch their resources. The appearance is that you have "reclaimed RAM". You haven't.

Here's how the operating system works. When someone asks for memory the operating system goes and finds some. If it can't find some it goes through the applications that haven't touched ram for a while and pages those "stale" parts out to disk. This means that until there is a *NEED* for more RAM, the operating system will allow applications to hold on to as much RAM as they want. When there is a need, the operating system will make the right decisions about where to find it. These memory "reclaimers" just create an artificial need and all that creates is an "impression" that the memory was freed.

If you are experiencing out of memory conditions due to an application leaking, these tools will not help because they will not be able to allocate any memory. You can either increase the size of your page file, add more ram to your system, stop using the broken software, or close it from time to time (the operating system will get all the lost memory back when the application closes).

Don't be fooled. And please don't PAY ANYTHING for this kind of software. You are paying for a pretty picture and optimization code that amounts to:

void main( void )
{
free( malloc( 402653184 ) ); // Allocate 384 megs of ram and then
// free it.
}

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version