ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me choose an online backup service

<< < (9/27) > >>

40hz:
I drooled over the original about 2 years ago and yeah, it does provoke crazy thoughts, especially if you are a digital packrat. Just think of the amount of crap I could download and store on one of those babies!
-app103 (February 16, 2012, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't let superboyac hear you! That might be all the motivation he needs to go out and build one of these bloody things. (I really could see him doing it too. Seriously...I could.)
 ;D

rgdot:
I'll take 2  ;D

highend01:
@40hz

If it take my time to test a new software you can be rest assured that I do it thoroughly :)

But it's kinda moot since it doesn't backup anything other than your data by default.
--- End quote ---

Anything on my C: drive isn't data that should be backup-ed. Why not? I already decided over 20 years
ago that I separate all of my data from the partition, where the os is installed. Apart from that 95%
of my used software is portable and stores it's settings and data on a different drive (and the only
Software that needs to be installed is forced to write everything it wants to save to a different drive as well).

if you first just let it 'do its thing' to see exactly how long it took - and then logged in to check and see exactly what got backed up.
--- End quote ---

You don't need to. You can see this kind of information before it actually begins the real backup. Look at the last rightmost tabs.

I doubt you would have seen much there you wouldn't have selected anyway.
--- End quote ---
189 MB of files it wants to backup (only for the C: drive).

So once the initial mirror takes place, subsequent backups only require a fraction of the original time unless major changes have taken place on your local drive.
--- End quote ---

Delta-backup. Atm it's hard to find reasonable sync/backup providers that DON'T support this technology.

It also keeps deleted and changed files for up to 30 days - so it also acts as a sort of versioning backup system
--- End quote ---

That's the case, right. The currently used HiDrive account allows me to configure for how long old / deleted versions are kept and these settings can be changed for different folders and users (I use a 5 user account with 500gb of storage).

Regarding the huge amount of data that can be backuped with a slow uplink: I'm storing atm 150 GB on my user account at HiDrive. With non throttled upload speed this takes about 18 days (24h/day) if you don't want to pay the extra fee if you send in a hdd.

PS.: I like intelligent software. As long as it let's me reconfigure it's behavior when it does things that I don't want it to do.

Regards,
Highend

mouser:
Interesting benefit for active duty armed service members from CrashPlan:

Armed Forces Seed Offer: To honor your service, members of the Armed Forces actively serving overseas get seeded drives and Restore to Your Door services for free. If you have an active CrashPlan+ account and you are a member of the Armed Forces on active duty overseas, from your ”.mil” email address, please write [email protected] with your name, email address and mailing information, so we can ship your seed drive.
--- End quote ---

wraith808:
When you tried it out, as you mentioned earlier, it might have been enlightening if you first just let it 'do its thing' to see exactly how long it took - and then logged in to check and see exactly what got backed up.

I doubt you would have seen much there you wouldn't have selected anyway.
-40hz (February 16, 2012, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Truthfully, even with those exclusion, there would be a *lot* on there that I wouldn't want backed up.  His case might be similar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version