Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 04, 2016, 10:31:20 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SuperFast Shutdown  (Read 2431 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Coding Snacks by Lanux128
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
SuperFast Shutdown
« on: March 29, 2006, 09:01:53 PM »
Does anyone use this program: SuperFast Shutdown?

Quote from: web-site
Have you ever wished there was a faster way to shutdown your Windows 2000 or Windows XP computer system? I mean instantly shut it down! Now you can! Just install Super Fast Shutdown and click on one of the desktop icons created to reboot or shutdown instantly.

Warning: Superfast Shutdown is extremely powerful! Use at your own risk! Although it has never been reported, regular usage could possibly cause disk corruption.

With this app, Windows does shutdown immediately but i'm curious as how it achieves this. From the disk corruption warning, i assume that it bypasses cache writes to the hard-drive but i'd would like to know from others as well. Any ideas on this?

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SuperFast Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 09:13:16 PM »
From that warning, it makes me think it's about the same thing as unplugging your computer--or hitting the powerbutton when powerbuttons were power cutoff rather than windows>shutdown

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Coding Snacks by Lanux128
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 09:24:33 PM »
From that warning, it makes me think it's about the same thing as unplugging your computer--or hitting the powerbutton when powerbuttons were power cutoff rather than windows>shutdown

i thought of that too but when i switch on the pc there is no scandisk/chkdsk prompt. maybe the program tells the registry that it's being shutdown normally then pulls the plug... ;)
if only winXP doesn't take ages to shutdown, i wouldn't be wondering about these kind of apps.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 10:07:52 PM »
Scandisk doesn't -always- occurr after a crash/improper shutdown.  I think it only happens when it shuts down when something is writing--perhaps that isn't precisely the case, but I know that ScanDisk isn't always triggered when the system goes down abruptly.  Either way, I'm wary of anything that shuts down quickly.  I have a number of apps that save their data when shutting down, skipping that would potentially cause me to lose data.

I don't shutdown/reboot frequently enough to warrant such an application anyway.