ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Zentimo/USB Safely Remove - Are they needed anymore?

(1/5) > >>

Innuendo:
I nearly wrote the subject line as "were they ever really needed" as I've just been yanking my USB devices out of my computer after I'm sure all device activity has stopped & I've never ejected a device yet I've never lost any data from doing so, but for the sake of this topic I will recognize that in some situations some devices may not behave as they ideally should.

BitsDuJour had USB Safely Remove on sale for 40% off yesterday so I thought I would check it out. Holy crap...I missed the memo where the licensing terms had changed and now if you want a lifetime license it will cost you significantly more. I thought it was a hard sell before at $20 for a lifetime license. Now Crystal Rich has decided to follow Slysoft's licensing model of jacking up the prices and just run perpetual sales. Meh, whatever works for your business I guess...

But Zentimo....for the price premium he is charging over USB Safely Remove he best be throwing in some 'kitchen sink' features soon as what's currently added over USR just isn't worth the extra coin.

But anyway, back to the original question...are they needed anymore? Does even Windows 7's handling of USB devices give you the heebee jeebees? Do your external USB drives implode like shrapnel across your workspace if Crystal Rich's watchful eye isn't looking down over you to protect the structural integrity of your external drive cases?

Lots of people here seem to love it/them so show/tell me what I'm missing in my evaluation so I can love it/them, too. :)

Stoic Joker:
If write caching is enabled for the drive, yanking it can result in data loss.

If write caching is disabled for the drive, yanking it is supposed to be perfectly fine.

However, having several clients doing backups to external USB drives ...(write caching disabled/headless servers)... I have noticed that some of the drived bork the partition and have to be formatted with a rather odd frequence.

I'll happily "waste" the 4 seconds necessary to click eject in the interest of safety.

edbro:
Yes, but eject without USBSR or Zentimo.

Carol Haynes:
I have a license but removed Zentimo because it kept killing the drivers (Code 37) on camera card slots in Windows 7 64-bit.

Not really missed it.

Ath:
If only the default Windows Vista and Windows 7 didn't make me confirm a totally superfluous messagebox after selecting to 'eject' the USB drive, just like Win XP only gave a toast message, I could live without USBSR! And though USBSR has a lot of overly fancy features, just that 1 single error in the standard driver keeps me installing USBSR on all systems owned by me, and the one I operate at work all day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version