topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: ReImage: online Windows repair!  (Read 67424 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ReImage: online Windows repair!
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2012, 02:37 AM »
One more thing: On my USB stick I have just found license keys for Paragon Rescue Kit 11 Professional, and for Paragon Backup & Recovery 10.0 Suite, still valid. The programs were never installed. Ironic, almost absurd.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:41 AM by Curt, Reason: plural »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2012, 09:18 AM »
Let us know how you get on!
Tom

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2012, 12:21 PM »
One more thing: On my USB stick I have just found license keys for Paragon Rescue Kit 11 Professional, and for Paragon Backup & Recovery 10.0 Suite, still valid. The programs were never installed. Ironic, almost absurd.

What would be absurd is if, given your track record with Paragon, you would let any of their programs touch your computer ever again. ;)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2012, 12:51 PM »
This laptop has Windows Internet Explorer 9 only. When I click "quote" on tomos' post, IE will say "Loading" for ever, and nothing else will happen. Would  such an error come from our forum or from IE or from the laptop? Never mind; it is just annoying.

Thank you for the empathy, Tom.

------------------------------------
What would be absurd is if, given your track record with Paragon, you would let any of their programs touch your computer ever again.

haha! You are of course right, Innuendo. On the other hand I find it absurd that I had both a hundred dollar- and a fifty dollar- program, that could have saved my computer. But I was angry with Paragon because of the first crash some time ago, so I was in a dilemma: Trust them, or waste that much money? My anger made me trow the money down the drain, in more than one way...

Some of you will know me well enough to realize that I also have several other backup / recovery programs that could have saved my as eh... PC, if I had cared to use them in time.

Well, at least I have back ups of all the important data.
Now I just want those links and program names as well.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2012, 01:19 PM »
This laptop has Windows Internet Explorer 9 only. When I click "quote" on tomos' post, IE will say "Loading" for ever, and nothing else will happen. Would  such an error come from our forum or from IE or from the laptop? Never mind; it is just annoying.

Me things it's a forum bugg. It happens to me now and then, but I usually just do a forced refresh on the page and then retry the quote (I use IE exclusively).

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Hello!

finally i bite and bought reimage (with the 20% discount code.. yum!)

today i was playing with some system dlls trying to install an excel add on.

i got an ugly error with msvcrt.dll library. i googled, tryed to check dependencies, tryed to expand/register some dlls from the (original) windows xp cdrom, and so on.

i had a 2 month old complete backup, but i was lazy to restore and remembered about this thread.

downloaded the reimage software, and launched the test. I went to their website and opened their chat. I said about my dll problem and the support guy (sorry, i forgot his name) said me about my problem should be fixed.

i bought the 3 years plan, around 60 euro.. and i went to read the cnet reviews. to be honest, many 1 star ratings, talking about scam, about the product not works, about they not refund...

my first impresion... is very positive. My error was solved. The software replaced around 8150 files on my system (ok, tomorrow maybe i will see about my single error solved and i introduced 8149 in the system)

im not related with reimage company... and i will give you some detailed feedback in this thread.

sorry, i want to take some extra time to test, but i have good feeling with this tool.

PD: im the same guy who said that reimage was too much pricey  :-[
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:17 PM by flamerz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2012, 03:06 AM »
if it really has fixed your problem, then I am very pleased for you, and happy with my initial post. But I am surprised that you started with a 3-year plan. Wow! I would certainly have gone for the cheapest version - because you were right: It is #too# pricey! But of course, I am cheap ...

Please report back how your repaired machine is doing.

:up:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: February 29, 2012, 03:23 AM »
3-years plan
-flamerz
Yearly for 3 PCs
-Reimage

Did you #check# if your plan really is
3 years for 1 machine,  and not
3 machines for 1 year?
 :tellme:

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: February 29, 2012, 05:09 AM »
damn.. you true.

it was late and i read wrong . I was thining fix "2 [years] more".

i only have one machine, because another computers are reinstalled one time per month (i teach kids and they make them full of garbage).

maybe could this given as a present? :)

ill read license terms.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:19 AM by flamerz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: February 29, 2012, 09:35 AM »
first read terms, as you said,
then tell the company that you misunderstood, and
politely ask for 1 machine, 3 years, or
ask for a refund.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2012, 09:55 AM »
Quote from: Curt on 25 February 2012, 10:43:42
Sadly there are not a single person that I know of in my circles that have a retail Vista SP2 disc; Vista, yes, but always from Dell or something, and never SP2. I will have to look around some more, before trying to restore.
-Curt
For what you'd be using it for (a quick login to recover some files) any Vista disc would work. You'd just have some OEM branding throughout the OS and maybe some trialware installed & you could install the lastest SP right away or just get down to business recovering your important files & getting the heck out.
-Innuendo
-Innuendo

I am now sitting with a DELL Vista Home Premium 32-bits dvd. I have already tried Repair Start, and System Restore; they did nothing. I mean, they tried, but Start wasn't repaired, and there were no restore points found. I have not been able to enter my Vista.

All that is left is Command Prompt, which I am looking at right now, or overwriting the original Vista.

I have this #feeling# that if I could only re-installl that damn Paragon program from a USB stick via command prompts, my old Vista would suddenly work again. Utopia?

HOW should I do? I know nothing about command prompting!
 :tellme:

Edited: First things first:
Can I somehow enter my Vista, via a cmd prompt or otherwise, now that I have this DELL disc?

Edit#2:[/b]
oh, yeah, before this, there is also the option to install drivers if Windows is not recognized. Vista is recognized, but I guess I could try this weird method; Installing Dell laptop drivers on a Fujitsu desktop?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:20 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2012, 10:41 AM »
no, it wouldn't install any drivers; "they are not meant for your system".

Command prompt it is, then. But HOW?  :tellme:

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2012, 02:47 PM »
If all you are doing is just rescuing some files off your system I'd just do a regular install of Vista. The installer will install to a fresh directory & your old install will be left untouched. Once you hit the desktop you can safely copy off your important files & await the arrival of your Windows 7 disc. :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2012, 02:53 PM »
too late; I lost my patience  :-[

/Curt, Win 7 user.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2012, 03:15 PM »
too late; I lost my patience  :-[

/Curt, Win 7 user.

congrats Curt :)

edit/ and I hope you didnt lose anything important :-[
Tom

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2012, 04:49 PM »
Curt, sorry I didn't answer you before you lost your patience, but I do think you are going to be much happier with your PC.

How's the performance? I'm sure it's no slower, and probably faster, than Vista is/was. :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2012, 03:33 AM »
... that damn Paragon program from a USB stick via command prompts, my old Vista would suddenly work again. Utopia?

I'd like to know why you and Innuendo both feel that Paragons program is to blame when, by your own admission:
a) your system has been unstable for 19+ months;
b) you blindly clicked remove in Revo Uninstaller, (a program which I've managed to trash a system with by not paying attention);
c) you seem to try almost every program available, (no offence meant but it really does look that way).

I guess NASA are going to feel pretty crap soon....maybe I should go out and buy a hardhat....

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2012, 07:44 AM »
I'd like to know why you and Innuendo both feel that Paragons program is to blame when, by your own admission:
a) your system has been unstable for 19+ months;
b) you blindly clicked remove in Revo Uninstaller, (a program which I've managed to trash a system with by not paying attention);
c) you seem to try almost every program available, (no offence meant but it really does look that way).

No offence taken.

I now think to understand that my Vista had errors from the beginning, because I noticed sluggishness the first time I used it. But that was 5 weeks after the purchase, and in Denmark we have 28 days to regret a purchase - so it was too late for a refund. I couldn't imagine that it was Windows that had the error, I was certain it had to be the hardware, so I didn't trust the shop when they said that they would send the machine to someone else to repair the OS software, not the hardware. And when they said I absolutely would lose my files, I refused. Much later I realized they were right, the hardware seems to be fine, so the error must have been within Vista. Anyway, my "unstable" Vista was more like Explorer being slow and fragile, than Vista being unstable.

When I uninstalled a Paragon DEMO trial, I was given my first blue screen of death. It was impossible to fix Vista until I managed to reinstall the demo. My second blue screen was when I asked Revo to remove the Paragon it was monitoring. Don't we all trust Revo? I did, so Paragon had to be blamed. Maybe I should just blame myself and Revo, but the case is that Revo has removed other programs without any problems, so in my head Paragon is the sinner.

Yes, I've tried more than a thousand programs. But I have also spend aeons waiting for (the free) Revo to scan & clean after each program. But of course, there are always traces.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2012, 08:04 AM »
I hope you didnt lose anything important :-[

Thank you, Tom.

I have lots of backups, I just didn't think in time to also save my Internet links, and a list of installed programs, and a copy of my Flashnote-notes. Inconvenient, but not terrible important. Furthermore, W7 has (of course) overwritten my C-drive, but not my D-drive. So 400 GB were untouched!
 :up:

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2012, 09:04 AM »

I didn't think it was the sole culprit to blame, but it did seem to be the camel that broke the camel's back.

I guess NASA are going to feel pretty crap soon....maybe I should go out and buy a hardhat....

Oh, it's too late for NASA. You may want to get a roll of tin foil while you're out to line your new hard hat. :D

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2012, 07:58 PM »
Oh, it's too late for NASA. You may want to get a roll of tin foil while you're out to line your new hard hat. :D

If I get an aluminium one maybe I'll save money!

:P

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2012, 10:10 AM »
just to prove my good will:

New and updated features in Hard Disk Manager 12 Pro:

Completely new partitioning engine – the strongest and fastest available – is highly compatible with all new hard drives, and supports the new GPT partitioning scheme in addition to all modern file systems

Split partition wizard to separate OS and data, or different types of data, by splitting one partition into two different partitions of the same type and file system

Support for the latest version of Oracle’s “VirtualBox 4” Hypervisor

Resume operations on virtual volumes in case of disconnection or any other unexpected situation

Read-only mode for virtual disks to make sure disk data is not altered during copy or other operations

Improved backup processing speed through the use of asynchronous writing operations

New partition alignment available for bare metal restore to ensure that there will be no performance loss due to incorrect partition alignment

Updated P2P Adjust OS Wizard injects all required drivers and operations crucial to successfully migrate and start up a Win2K+ physical system on a different hardware platform (P2P)

Additional protection for your backup files using encryption to avoid unauthorized access

Improved migration functionality makes the existing system bootable in a new hardware environment

Three types of comprehensive recovery environments to choose from based on the latest Linux, DOS and WinPE 3.0 – available on CD/DVD/Blu-ray, thumb drives or Backup Capsule
Six new data wiping algorithms: US Navy, British HMG Infosec, German VSItR, Australian ASCI 33, Guttman's, Schneier's

Support for UEFI installations of operating systems

Better end-user support, with detailed logs and fsdumps readily available to our support team to quickly resolve all incoming help calls

Improved Apple HFS+ support

Installation without reboot means it’s no longer necessary to reboot your computer after installing Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12
-Paragon

full price is $100, upgrade price is $50
Remember that Paragon releases major upgrades every year.

Should this post had been in another thread? Really not. I am posting here to accept the theory that maybe Paragon was not the reason I lost my data...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:38 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2013, 06:09 PM »
The normal price is $70 / €53 for a year,
Now with a 20% discount.
To redeem this amazing offer please use this coupon code: con20
Yearly Unlimited $55.96
Yearly for 3 PC's $79.96
-ReImage
If it does all these jobs it says, for a small office that is not a bad idea. but it's not that far from win7 upgrade price, no?

The con20 discount is plus VAT, making it €54 => $75 all the same.   
I am not a small office, so I purchased Win 8 Pro for $35 instead.
For (most) private people (me!) ReImage is much too expensive!  :down:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2013, 07:09 PM »
For (most) private people (me!) ReImage is much too expensive!  :down:

I tested the program's initial scanner, wrote the above post, and clicked Uninstall. I was then asked why I wanted to do this, so I clicked that I couldn't afford the price, and even gave my name and email address. To my surprise I was offered to have the program at €24,95 Hmm... "ReImage is now half too expensive"... well, you've already guessed it: I took the offer!

The repair took less than an hour, and a reboot.
Did it work? Yes! The error that worried me, has gone!  :up:

http://www.reimageplus.com/
http://www.reimagepl.../?tracking=uninstall

Edit: This was on Win 7 Home Premium.  
I am saving the above mentioned Win 8 Pro disk for later.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:24 AM by Curt, Reason: now €24,95 »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2013, 09:35 PM »
Here's my 2 cents' worth: regular images made with Macrium Reflect (free edition is sufficient). And be sure to have thumb drive and CD with Macrium Boot PE, so you can get access to your images, even when you're PC is hosed (which it most likely will be, if you're wanting to restore from an image). You can make the bootable rescue media from within Macrium:

rescueMedia.png

Note: You may have to install Windows Automated Installation Kit from the Microsoft Download Center before you can create rescue media.