ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ReImage: online Windows repair!

<< < (13/22) > >>

4wd:
No, it won't work. OEMs self activate based on a string read from the MB...which won't be there if changed. The license is also tied to the hardware (e.g. motherboard), so it isn't 'legal' either.-Stoic Joker (February 22, 2012, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks SJ, I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure.

Go for the Upgrade version Curt, not OEM.

Curt:
 :up:

Thanks!

Curt:
Oh, one thing more. In the old days, new RAM sticks should be as small as possible, in order to secure fast response when text editing and other low memory level activities. Does such details have any importance with today's memory sticks? Will a 4GB RAM stick react slower when I hit say Ctrl+Shift+LeftArrow > Ctrl+C than a 2 GB RAM stick will? or than 512MB?

Innuendo:
Oh, one thing more. In the old days, new RAM sticks should be as small as possible, in order to secure fast response when text editing and other low memory level activities. Does such details have any importance with today's memory sticks? Will a 4GB RAM stick react slower when I hit say Ctrl+Shift+LeftArrow > Ctrl+C than a 2 GB RAM stick will? or than 512MB?-Curt (February 22, 2012, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

The speed of RAM has gotten so fast that any differences in speed between RAM module sizes are only visible in benchmarks.

Curt:
Life can be weird. Just after I wrote my previous post, I was having a look inside Revo Uninstaller Pro. I noticed Paragon HardDrive Manager Pro was marked as being watched, and I thought, "oh, I never use that program, I should remove it". I #KNOW# that it is good practice to read the #beeep# manual, but nevertheless I just clicked "remove". And removed it was. So was also my access to Windows. Yes, I am writing you from a borrowed computer. This is the second time a Paragon program have ruined my pc, when removed!
 :(

I swear I have pressed F8 a thousand times, but to no avail. I am utterly unable to reach anything but Startup Repair (what a worthless feature) and Fujitsu Recovery ("create a backup disk, or install a new (empty) Vista"). I cannot reach Vista's System Recovery. Of course I am also unable to use the W7 Home Premium -file that I just downloaded; it is laying in Downloads, laughing at me.

Well, then a new disc it will be. I have been offered a OEM disc at $180, the retail version is about $400 here in Denmark. But at $400 I can probably purchase a PC with OEM. Hmm... I better keep my $1.600 machine, and try to fix the operating system.

I really have no question or quite interesting news to tell, just this little sad story, because right now I am sad.
 :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version