topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: ReImage: online Windows repair!  (Read 67420 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ReImage: online Windows repair!
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012, 04:41 PM »
Curt, I would go for Home Premium. Look at this Comparison chart to make sure you won't be missing out on any features you want (but I don't think you will).

And if you are talking file-sharing, it's done differently in Windows 7. It's much easier to set up if you want it & much easier to sweep under the rug if you don't.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2012, 04:44 PM »
-thank you, Innuendo.

What are the greatest benefits from two CPUs?

Edited:
oh, W7 Home Basic is for "Emerging markets" only.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:03 PM by Curt »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2012, 04:54 PM »
What are the greatest benefits from two CPUs?
That you can run more then 12 cores (afaik currently the max no. of cores available in a single CPU), but if you need/have that, then Windows 7 Home Premium probably won't be your OS of choice :D

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2012, 05:06 PM »
-no, I was just dreaming. The case is, I have a favourite program waiting for me on my abandoned XP. Now I see that the more pricey W7 versions will run XP "for free" - starting my imagination!
tomos mentioned "xpmode", but I didn't understand it until now.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:22 PM by Curt »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 05:27 PM »
-no, I was just dreaming. The case is, I have a favourite program waiting for me on my abandoned XP. Now I see that the more pricey W7 versions will run XP "for free" - starting my imagination!
tomos talked about "xpmode", but I didn't understand it, until now.
The only reason xpmode is interesting is because it includes a valid license, but it should best be run in VirtualBox or VMWare solutions, not on crappy VPC as MS wants you to. In both alternate cases, it's still running on the same Windows 7 instance, and with the VirtualBox solution it's even nearly as seamless as the original VPC mode.

Oh, and the only reasons I can think of running XP are indeed old software (C++ Builder 5 required for a few old projects :huh:) or hardware without drivers for anything past XP, but that's not going to work for any of the virtualized solutions anyway, so the only reason I had xpmode installed was to prove I could. The rest is done using VMWare, as performance with VirtualBox is not up to par.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012, 05:58 AM »
tomos talked about "xpmode", but I didn't understand it, until now.
The only reason xpmode is interesting is because it includes a valid license, but it should best be run in VirtualBox or VMWare solutions, not on crappy VPC as MS wants you to. In both alternate cases, it's still running on the same Windows 7 instance, and with the VirtualBox solution it's even nearly as seamless as the original VPC mode.

just curious:
if you did get xpmode, could you then use the XP key in "VirtualBox or VMWare solutions" ?
-
This was also discussed in more depth here     Win 7, XP mode, & other first install queries

FWIW:
I thought I might need xpmode myself, I have two pieces of software from 1999 that I use daily, but they are now running (almost perfectly - they had minor bugs in XP as well) with a normal (32bit) install on Win7 pro 64bit. (I presume they would work just fine on home 64bit version as well.)
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2012, 12:04 AM »
@Curt: If you're going to buy Win7 Home Premium, I'd recommend you get the Upgrade pack, (Amazon just used as price reference).  It doesn't cost much more than an OEM version but you get both x86 and x64 disks.

Use the ISO you downloaded from Digital River to install Win7 and enter the key from the Upgrade pack - doing it this way means you can install to a bare drive.  If you use the upgrade DVD then you need to have Windows installed beforehand so that it can verify that you are doing an upgrade.  There's no difference between the DVDs except for one small file, ei.cfg.

This is exactly the same way I install Windows 7 on my machine.

OEM Windows usually means that it's going to be used on a specific non-changing hardware configuration, so I've got no idea whether an OEM license would continue to work if you, say, change your motherboard to a DDR3 version.

I thought I might need xpmode myself, I have two pieces of software from 1999 that I use daily, but they are now running (almost perfectly - they had minor bugs in XP as well) with a normal (32bit) install on Win7 pro 64bit. (I presume they would work just fine on home 64bit version as well.)

I use the XPMode image via VMLite on a Win7HP x64 machine because I have one piece of software that won't run under any x64 version of Windows.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2012, 02:20 AM »
-thanks, 4wd.
Mind you that I have a corrupt System Restore backup, and i would like to make certain it isn't inherited by the next OS, but overwritten / deleted. So per instinct I am going for a clean / full install. Not necessary?
 :tellme:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2012, 02:32 AM »
So per instinct I am going for a clean / full install. Not necessary?

Do a full install - it's just that if you use Upgrade media I think you have to tell it you want Customize the installation so you can delete the existing Windows Vista installation otherwise it will upgrade it.

I'm not to sure since I ever only do clean installs, perhaps someone who has done an upgrade can comment.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2012, 06:42 AM »
I've got no idea whether an OEM license would continue to work if you, say, change your motherboard to a DDR3 version.

No, it won't work. OEMs self activate based on a string read from the MB...which won't be there if changed. The license is also tied to the hardware (e.g. motherboard), so it isn't 'legal' either.

...Unless the replacement motherboard came from the same OEM...  :-\

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2012, 07:46 AM »
No, it won't work. OEMs self activate based on a string read from the MB...which won't be there if changed. The license is also tied to the hardware (e.g. motherboard), so it isn't 'legal' either.

Thanks SJ, I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure.

Go for the Upgrade version Curt, not OEM.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2012, 08:11 AM »
 :up:

Thanks!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2012, 08:31 AM »
Oh, one thing more. In the old days, new RAM sticks should be as small as possible, in order to secure fast response when text editing and other low memory level activities. Does such details have any importance with today's memory sticks? Will a 4GB RAM stick react slower when I hit say Ctrl+Shift+LeftArrow > Ctrl+C than a 2 GB RAM stick will? or than 512MB?

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2012, 09:42 AM »
Oh, one thing more. In the old days, new RAM sticks should be as small as possible, in order to secure fast response when text editing and other low memory level activities. Does such details have any importance with today's memory sticks? Will a 4GB RAM stick react slower when I hit say Ctrl+Shift+LeftArrow > Ctrl+C than a 2 GB RAM stick will? or than 512MB?

The speed of RAM has gotten so fast that any differences in speed between RAM module sizes are only visible in benchmarks.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2012, 09:49 AM »
Life can be weird. Just after I wrote my previous post, I was having a look inside Revo Uninstaller Pro. I noticed Paragon HardDrive Manager Pro was marked as being watched, and I thought, "oh, I never use that program, I should remove it". I #KNOW# that it is good practice to read the #beeep# manual, but nevertheless I just clicked "remove". And removed it was. So was also my access to Windows. Yes, I am writing you from a borrowed computer. This is the second time a Paragon program have ruined my pc, when removed!
 :(

I swear I have pressed F8 a thousand times, but to no avail. I am utterly unable to reach anything but Startup Repair (what a worthless feature) and Fujitsu Recovery ("create a backup disk, or install a new (empty) Vista"). I cannot reach Vista's System Recovery. Of course I am also unable to use the W7 Home Premium -file that I just downloaded; it is laying in Downloads, laughing at me.

Well, then a new disc it will be. I have been offered a OEM disc at $180, the retail version is about $400 here in Denmark. But at $400 I can probably purchase a PC with OEM. Hmm... I better keep my $1.600 machine, and try to fix the operating system.

I really have no question or quite interesting news to tell, just this little sad story, because right now I am sad.
 :(
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:13 AM by Curt »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  If you're not disgusted with Paragon/Revo, you may try to download Paragon Emergency Recovery bootable media builder, build a bootable media and try to fix your machine with it.
.merle1.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2012, 10:28 AM »
I have been offered a OEM disc at $180, the retail version is about $400 here in Denmark.

if you shop around can you not get it cheaper?
I see multi-language OEM versions here (de) for 60 euro:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OEM DVD und Windows 7 Home Premium COA (Multilanguage).

I know you wanted an upgrade - they dont have any on that site... but for €60 I'd chance an OEM myself...
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2012, 10:52 AM »
-thanks, tomos.

I think my mind was blocked when I wrote my previous post.

My main goal right now is to preserve my collection of Internet links, and a list of what programs I have installed. For some reason I never thought of backing up those data. Everything else is backed up. If I merely want a computer, I can click "Restore to a new clean Vista".

I am thinking about downloading a W7 32-bits Home Premium ISO to this borrowed laptop, and burn it, in order to repair Vista by upgrading. Later, when things have been saved, I can upgrade to 64-bits and have a clean install. Isn't this what I should do? I will think about it until tomorrow, better not be too hasty.
 :-\

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2012, 12:50 PM »
A few random points to add to the discussion -

Paragon programs are mostly junk...rebranded junk they have bought from other companies and put their new skin on. There's nothing they sell that you can't get the equivalent elsewhere for the same price or cheaper.
-
Curt, to get past your current nightmare, borrow someone's Vista disc and do an upgrade over the top of the old OS. It won't be pretty & Vista probably won't activate, but you'll have time to copy off the files you want.
-
OEM versions of Windows - You will be fine with an OEM copy. I have friends that have upgraded their PCs (including their motherboards) and Windows activated again just fine. There's especially nothing to worry about if your current install is 6+ months later than your last install with that disc. MS keeps activation data on their servers for only six months.
-
Upgrade versions of Windows - Depending on your levels of patience you may want to avoid one of these. An upgrade version will only activate if it's been used to upgrade a 'previous' version of Windows. If someone has a bare hard drive, that means that in order to get around this annoyance, they'd have to install their upgrade disc, not activate it, then reinstall Windows again as an upgrade to that 'previous' version in order to activate it. IMHO, life's too short to install Windows TWICE every time you reinstall your OS. They *may* have fixed this for Windows 7, but with Windows Vista it was the only way to use an upgrade disc on a bare hard drive.
-
Final point - Ultimately, with Windows 7 it doesn't really matter what kind of disc you have any longer (retail, upgrade, OEM, etc) as the serial dictates what type of Windows you have not the disc, as it was with previous versions of Windows.

Get yourself the OEM version of Windows x64 and enjoy life (and your savings). Once it's installed & activated your or nobody else will be able to tell a difference between it and the $400 copy you saw for sale.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2012, 03:43 AM »
I have ordered the 64-bits W7 that tomos was linking to, Thank you Tom! The €60 price was including VAT but plus expensive mail, €15.

Sadly there are not a single person that I know of in my circles that have a retail Vista SP2 disc; Vista, yes, but always from Dell or something, and never SP2. I will have to look around some more, before trying to restore.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2012, 04:06 AM »
Paragon programs are mostly junk...rebranded junk they have bought from other companies and put their new skin on.

Now you're telling me! I don't remember any one saying bad things about Paragon until now. This was why I first purchased some of their programs. Frankly, I have an awfull lot of their programs, I just didn't use them. Today I must of course agree with you on their lack of quality, but otherwise I am (negatively) surprised. Rebranded?! If only I had known before, I could probably have saved myself many many $$.

Thank you, Innuendo  :up:

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Sadly there are not a single person that I know of in my circles that have a retail Vista SP2 disc; Vista, yes, but always from Dell or something, and never SP2. I will have to look around some more, before trying to restore.

For what you'd be using it for (a quick login to recover some files) any Vista disc would work. You'd just have some OEM branding throughout the OS and maybe some trialware installed & you could install the lastest SP right away or just get down to business recovering your important files & getting the heck out.

When that new, shiny OEM Windows 7 disc shows up just remember you aren't alone. We'll all be here to help you along the way. Personally, though, I'd use that new Windows 7 disc to do an upgrade install over your Vista OS (not activating Windows 7), copy off all your important files to a safe place, and then format the hard drive & do a clean Windows 7 install followed by *then* activating it.

Don't be surprised if your computer seems faster/snappier after you're done. Windows 7 is a lot nicer with resources than Vista ever was.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2012, 03:07 PM »
-thanks, Innuendo. But wouldn't it do, just to wait for the new disc, and first upgrade to W7 32-bits (and MAYBE register if need be)? An upgrade should work like a repair, so all the files should still be there (I assume)? And THEN upgrade to W7 64-bits? I really would expect the key to be accepted also the second time (if need be), since it is both the same machine and the same OS disc.
?

-----------------
edit:
My post number 5.000  was thus wasted on an indifferent matter, since the disc that I have ordered is 64-bits  only.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:47 PM by Curt »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Um... You can't 'upgrade' to a 64-bit OS from a 32-bit OS ... Once you pick a bit-ness, you're stuck with it.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2012, 02:16 AM »
-"upgrade" may of course be the wrong word.
I meant something in the area of "overwrite / delete the 32-bits, by installing a 64-bits instead".
 :tellme: