ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ReImage: online Windows repair!

<< < (11/22) > >>

Innuendo:
Curt, I would go for Home Premium. Look at this Comparison chart to make sure you won't be missing out on any features you want (but I don't think you will).

And if you are talking file-sharing, it's done differently in Windows 7. It's much easier to set up if you want it & much easier to sweep under the rug if you don't.

Curt:
-thank you, Innuendo.

What are the greatest benefits from two CPUs?

Edited:
oh, W7 Home Basic is for "Emerging markets" only.

Ath:
What are the greatest benefits from two CPUs?
-Curt (February 20, 2012, 04:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
That you can run more then 12 cores (afaik currently the max no. of cores available in a single CPU), but if you need/have that, then Windows 7 Home Premium probably won't be your OS of choice :D

Curt:
-no, I was just dreaming. The case is, I have a favourite program waiting for me on my abandoned XP. Now I see that the more pricey W7 versions will run XP "for free" - starting my imagination!
tomos mentioned "xpmode", but I didn't understand it until now.

Ath:
-no, I was just dreaming. The case is, I have a favourite program waiting for me on my abandoned XP. Now I see that the more pricey W7 versions will run XP "for free" - starting my imagination!
tomos talked about "xpmode", but I didn't understand it, until now.
-Curt (February 20, 2012, 05:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
The only reason xpmode is interesting is because it includes a valid license, but it should best be run in VirtualBox or VMWare solutions, not on crappy VPC as MS wants you to. In both alternate cases, it's still running on the same Windows 7 instance, and with the VirtualBox solution it's even nearly as seamless as the original VPC mode.

Oh, and the only reasons I can think of running XP are indeed old software (C++ Builder 5 required for a few old projects :huh:) or hardware without drivers for anything past XP, but that's not going to work for any of the virtualized solutions anyway, so the only reason I had xpmode installed was to prove I could. The rest is done using VMWare, as performance with VirtualBox is not up to par.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version