ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Foxit Reader (fast pdf reader alternative)

<< < (4/6) > >>

moerl:
I've downloaded Foxit, but the instructions weren't clear on how to make it my default PDF reader.  Can anyone tell me how to do that?  (I use Firefox, Outlook, Windows XP)

Thanks again,
-Betsy (April 03, 2006, 11:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Click HELP on the file menu, and you'll see it right away.
* moerl loves FoxIt. He dropped Adobe Reader a LONG time ago because of FoxIt Reader.

Betsy:
I guess I didn't explain my problem very clearly.  I have checked the "Make Foxit the default" option in the Foxit help menu, but Adobe is still coming up when I try to open PDF files.  What could I have done wrong?

I've downloaded Foxit, but the instructions weren't clear on how to make it my default PDF reader.  Can anyone tell me how to do that?  (I use Firefox, Outlook, Windows XP)

Thanks again,
-Betsy (April 03, 2006, 11:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Click HELP on the file menu, and you'll see it right away.
* moerl loves FoxIt. He dropped Adobe Reader a LONG time ago because of FoxIt Reader.-moerl (April 03, 2006, 11:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

lanux128:
I guess I didn't explain my problem very clearly.  I have checked the "Make Foxit the default" option in the Foxit help menu, but Adobe is still coming up when I try to open PDF files.  What could I have done wrong?
--- End quote ---

try to uncheck this option in Adobe: "Display PDF in Browser". then your browser will prompt you to open or d/l the pdf, you can choose 'Open' to view the file.

Adobe preference window:

Betsy:
I'm afraid that didn't work.  Maybe I need an exorcist to get rid of this thing...

--- End quote ---

try to uncheck this option in Adobe: "Display PDF in Browser". then your browser will prompt you to open or d/l the pdf, you can choose 'Open' to view the file.

Adobe preference window:

-lanux128 (April 03, 2006, 11:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

noth(a)nk.you:
I have the answer.

I exclusively use Adobe's Acrobat Reader, and I am not at all concerned about the load time.  The reason?  PDF Speedup.

It's freeware, you can get it here (about half-way down the page).  It works by preventing features you wouldn't use (customizable) from loading. 

The only problem (small!) is a nag screen when you close the program (which you only need to run once).

Check it out!
noth(a)nk.you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version