topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: sublime text: some innovative text editor!  (Read 46490 times)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: sublime text: some innovative text editor!
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2013, 12:41 AM »
http://www.sublimete.../sublime-text-3-beta

The first beta of Sublime Text 3 is now available to download for registered users. Some feature highlights are below, followed by our new pricing and upgrade policies, and system compatibility for Sublime Text 3.

Just installed the beta, so haven't used it yet, but it sure does start fast compared to ST2 :-*.

There is sure to be some moaning about having to upgrade, but to be honest I am just happy the reason he has been so secretive isn't that he is selling ST to some company who can then proceed to destroy it.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2013, 03:08 AM »
Sublime Text 3?
Dafuq.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2013, 06:10 AM »
Sublime Text 3?
Dafuq.
I second that.

ST2 was released on June 26th last year - that's a very short period to keep a major version alive... sure, it's ST3 beta he's working on, and it'll probably take some time to get released, and we might see some updates (probably only bugfixes) for ST2. But this does not give me a warm and fuzzy tummy feeling, especially not when combined with increasing the price from $59 to $70 - this is pretty close to ripoff, IMHO.
- carpe noctem

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2013, 06:16 AM »
ST2 has been around since Summer 2008, at least the first versions. This is quite a life span. But the pricing is weird.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2013, 06:24 AM »
I am just wondering: what is so special in this editor?

I've tried it twice already (2 weeks of non-stop use each time) and always went back to N++.
Maybe that's because I have always felt I can't bend my habits to it?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2013, 06:25 AM »
ST2 has been around since Summer 2008, at least the first versions. This is quite a life span. But the pricing is weird.
Non-beta only since Jun26, though, unless dates on the blog are wrong? I count product lifetime from 'release' version and onwards - perhaps that's wrong of me? ::)

I respect that there's no silly "lifetime upgrade" licenses, I respect that there's no discounts, and that the product is priced relatively high... but bumping the price to $70, and already announcing ST3?  :deal:
- carpe noctem

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2013, 06:26 AM »
I've tried it twice already (2 weeks of non-stop use each time) and always went back to N++.
-fenixproductions (January 29, 2013, 06:24 AM)

I went from N++ to ST2. Must be individual use cases. I just like its compact user interface more.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2013, 08:59 AM »
I am just wondering: what is so special in this editor?

Maybe that's because I have always felt I can't bend my habits to it?
-fenixproductions (January 29, 2013, 06:24 AM)

I switched to ST2 from N++, mostly because of two features:

Firstly, goto anything, or more specifically, the way it uses lazy matching to let you go to anything -- it is literally like having the power of FARR inside your editor. You can switch between projects, between files in a project, and jump around symbols in a file using lazy match lookup.

Secondly, multiple selections, which is a bit like search and replace on steroids. You can do most of what it does with regexp search and replace, but having the visual feedback from live editing is so nice, plus you don't have to go to a separate dialog and start thinking about regexp.

Mind you, I was quite reluctant about moving away from N++, when I moved from UltraEdit to N++ I thought to myself "I am never paying for an editor again, this is great".

Non-beta only since Jun26, though, unless dates on the blog are wrong? I count product lifetime from 'release' version and onwards - perhaps that's wrong of me? ::)

I respect that there's no silly "lifetime upgrade" licenses, I respect that there's no discounts, and that the product is priced relatively high... but bumping the price to $70, and already announcing ST3?  :deal:

I agree, that is bothering me a bit as well. I guess maybe he should have called one of the earlier beta versions a release and fixed bugs in point releases instead of being in beta for years. This way people get the feeling they paid for a release that only had a single point update.

Regarding pricing, to me he is passing the point of reasonable for something that is "just an editor", no matter how efficient it may be. But if you read the forums, it feels like there is a bunch of devs standing in line to throw money at him, so it will probably work.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2013, 09:57 AM »
Firstly, goto anything, or more specifically, the way it uses lazy matching to let you go to anything -- it is literally like having the power of FARR inside your editor. You can switch between projects, between files in a project, and jump around symbols in a file using lazy match lookup.

Secondly, multiple selections, which is a bit like search and replace on steroids. You can do most of what it does with regexp search and replace, but having the visual feedback from live editing is so nice, plus you don't have to go to a separate dialog and start thinking about regexp.
Those were big features for me as well.

A few more:
- the plugin system being Python, with a healthy community around.
- a nice dark color scheme out of the box.
- search/replace that doesn't get in your way, and shows what will be affected while you type in your regexps.
- a very smooth and polished feel - not just being pretty fast (which it is), but well-done minimalistic (sublime, really :P) animation and small touches like that... for instance, the cursor not just being on/off blinking, but doing a bit of fading.

Regarding pricing, to me he is passing the point of reasonable for something that is "just an editor", no matter how efficient it may be. But if you read the forums, it feels like there is a bunch of devs standing in line to throw money at him, so it will probably work.
It's a shame, really. If he had instead lowered the pricepoint to, say, $50, I probably wouldn't have minded a paid upgrade per year. But $70 combined with his release/version handling? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I'd actually rather have yearly upgrades (at a reasonable price) rather than arbitrary major-version bumping.
- carpe noctem

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2013, 10:18 AM »
I'd actually rather have yearly upgrades (at a reasonable price) rather than arbitrary major-version bumping.

This.  I've never liked the upgrade pricing scheme- but that's the way of the world right now.  So I'd rather have it at a reasonable price on a schedule that's set, not one that's arbitrary (at least from the outside).

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2013, 01:55 PM »
First public beta of Sublime Text 3:

http://www.sublimete...e-text-3-public-beta

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2013, 02:28 PM »
The text editor version of Directory Opus  ;) very good but expensive