topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: It's Official - Anonymous are Terrorists  (Read 8170 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
It's Official - Anonymous are Terrorists
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:19 AM »
Well, it's official. Anonymous are "terrorists". Here's the proof:

https://www.slatt.or...errorism_in_the_News

Look at the bottom of the screenshot:

Screenshot - 2012-02-09 , 2_58_42 AM.pngIt's Official - Anonymous are Terrorists

JFC... They raid a few servers... They expose corruption... This is hardly "terrorism". If anything, they're bloody heroes!

Seriously... I'm putting "terrorists" in the same class as leprechauns, elves, and fairies, except that I actually have more faith that they actually exist.  :-\

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: It's Official - Anonymous are Terrorists
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:52 AM »
I spotted this one and just had to read more:Hackers take over Boston Police Department website; message cites handling of Occupy Boston protest
Boston police issued a statement this morning that said the department’s “skillful technical staff” was “focused on rectifying this issue.”
-The Article

Seriously?!? ...Who exactly are they trying to fool with that line of shit?? If the "Staff" was indeed all that "Skillful"...they wouldn't be getting spanked every five minutes, now would they? Oh Yeah, and like nicking a few files off a backup is a Herculean effort that requires great focus.

I'd laugh my ass off if I wasn't so preoccupied being disgusted.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 12:18 PM »
I spotted this one and just had to read more:Hackers take over Boston Police Department website; message cites handling of Occupy Boston protest
Boston police issued a statement this morning that said the department’s “skillful technical staff” was “focused on rectifying this issue.”
-The Article

Seriously?!? ...Who exactly are they trying to fool with that line of shit?? If the "Staff" was indeed all that "Skillful"...they wouldn't be getting spanked every five minutes, now would they? Oh Yeah, and like nicking a few files off a backup is a Herculean effort that requires great focus.

I'd laugh my ass off if I wasn't so preoccupied being disgusted.

While what you say is true to some degree, the problem with security is that the weakest link in the chain is all it takes to break it. Time and time again, that's been shown. So, imagine you are running security for a major corporation or government and trying to secure a vast array of systems and less than security conscious users. Imagine management mandating less security because more security is so cumbersome. So, I'd give the security experts a break, as they have a hard job ensuring every link in their chain is secure -- especially when the weakest link is often the user.

That said, the #1 ways most sites are infiltrated is 0-day exploits on common software, like SMF here... SQL injection attacks are less common (though still around for sure), as developers became more aware of them. For instance, a 0-day exploit gets discovered on SMF --- if someone wanted to hack DonationCoder, they'd have until the fix was applied to breach the site. A race against time. This is a scenario that has happened many times, to many sites.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 12:31 PM »
There are plenty of ways to transparently seperate publicly facing systems from the rest of the herd. And if the brass won't listen to why something should be secured properly...hit them in the head with it.

Mgmt: So how did we get hacked?
IT: well as it turns out, your dogs name (sparky)... isn't really that hard to guess as a password.
Mgmt: I see... what should it be?
IT: Something that is not easy to guess, like: Apple Horse Food x5, or CvJ=Shft+Wle

Then set a password lockout policy high enough that it wont get noticed quickly (while the users get used to it), and then slowly tighten it until they do ... Explain why... Done.

Hint: I know this works, I've already done it. ;)

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 12:52 PM »
Sure, but as the size grows, so does the complexity. Also, you may not have been the target of an exhaustive attack. To claim absolute security, well --- Come on man, that's jynxing yourself.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 01:22 PM »
I'm not, I'm simply saying that IT can't push blame off on the brass because of budget cuts and fiats. Our job is to know ways around that sort of thing... ;)

These guys got nailed twice in a row ... Hence something (very important) was not learned from the first attack.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 04:55 PM »
I spotted this at the bottom of the page:

This Web site is funded through a grant from the Bureau of Justice Assistance, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice. Neither the U.S. Department of Justice nor any of its components operate, control, are responsible for, or necessarily endorse this Web site (including, without limitation, its content, technical infrastructure, and policies and any services or tools provided).

Just because something is funded, and puts up a logo, doesn't mean it's in any way 'official'.  Not defending... just sourcing. :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 08:21 PM »
I spotted this at the bottom of the page:

This Web site is funded through a grant from the Bureau of Justice Assistance, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice. Neither the U.S. Department of Justice nor any of its components operate, control, are responsible for, or necessarily endorse this Web site (including, without limitation, its content, technical infrastructure, and policies and any services or tools provided).

Just because something is funded, and puts up a logo, doesn't mean it's in any way 'official'.  Not defending... just sourcing. :)

Well, if you were a rogue agency operating with impunity, and you created a new rogue agency, wouldn't you want to cover your ass too? :P ;D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 11:58 AM »
In a five-four ruling this week, the supreme court decided that anyone can be strip-searched upon arrest for any offense, however minor, at any time. This horror show ruling joins two recent horror show laws: the NDAA, which lets anyone be arrested forever at any time, and HR 347, the "trespass bill", which gives you a 10-year sentence for protesting anywhere near someone with secret service protection.

Article here.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 12:44 PM »
In a five-four ruling this week, the supreme court decided that anyone can be strip-searched upon arrest for any offense, however minor, at any time. This horror show ruling joins two recent horror show laws: the NDAA, which lets anyone be arrested forever at any time, and HR 347, the "trespass bill", which gives you a 10-year sentence for protesting anywhere near someone with secret service protection.

Article here.
-cranioscopical (April 06, 2012, 11:58 AM)

You are so totally baiting me... and I'm about to bite... :P :D

But I won't. :)

The article is decent in pointing out the utter insanity.

I hope more people realize that this totalitarian agenda is accelerating.

None of this is isolated. It's all by design.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:01 AM by Renegade, Reason: attempt to clarify intent »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 05:11 PM »
I'll make it worse.

"Anonymous" are terrorists, but check out the official smoking gun on THE only terrorist who mattered:

Wife: Bin Laden Hid in Pakistan, Not Caves, for Decade
http://news.yahoo.co...news-topstories.html

"Osama bin Laden's youngest wife has revealed that the al Qaeda leader spent a vast majority of his time after the 9/11 attacks not hiding in caves but living in Pakistani cities, where he moved several times and fathered a handful of children. ...the most wanted man in the world skipped from home to home in Peshawar, Swat and Haripur, Pakistan before settling in Abbottabad for about the last six years of his life."

I'm sorry, we ruined the constitution in the symbolic meme that it was necessary to stop terrorism, and the man was happily living in Pakistan for six years??!

(Pinky) ONE TRILLION DOLLARS couldn't get this guy? Are you telling me that they couldn't have put a 100 million dollar bounty on the guy's head and been done with it? And the guy had *wives and kids* who couldn't be found either?!

That to me is the most Elephant In The Room story I have ever heard. To me and its followup are THE story of the decade. *Nothing else matters* (as much.)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Wife: Bin Laden Hid in Pakistan, Not Caves, for Decade
http://news.yahoo.co...news-topstories.html
"Osama bin Laden's youngest wife has revealed that the al Qaeda leader spent a vast majority of his time after the 9/11 attacks not hiding in caves but living in Pakistani cities, where he moved several times and fathered a handful of children. ...the most wanted man in the world skipped from home to home in Peshawar, Swat and Haripur, Pakistan before settling in Abbottabad for about the last six years of his life."

I don't see what relevance that has to anything.
The interventionist wars or other military actions by the US in Afghanistan and Iraq, and other places in the Middle East, Africa and the Indian sub-continent (e.g., belatedly taking out Bin Laden in Pakistan) would theoretically have served to boost the economies of the US in particular. WW2 showed that nothing improves national GDP like a good war (think of all that ordinance needed by the military), and the more prolonged the better for the economic growth.

At the point when the US military media publicly proclaimed the circumstances of Bin laden being killed and later buried at sea, skeptics would be able to question that the US intelligence had not known of his whereabouts for years. It was apparently common knowledge in Pakistan.
But, there you are. If you have made a political decision to pull out of those warlike activities (for whatever reason), then the scapegoat for the wars would need to be formally terminated. So it was all a "success" you see?
Bin Laden's termination would probably have been just a matter of time - a "tidy this loose end up" type of job. He could probably have anticipated that there would eventually have to be such an action at some stage. He must surely have had some serious life insurance risks. I bet the life insurance company actuaries would never have sold him a life insurance policy, regardless of how healthy he might have been and even at an astronomical premium.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:14 PM by IainB »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 09:56 AM »
Heh Iain, count on you to find a second cynical point!

However, let's separate out the money angle just a little for the moment.

I was going to the point that if you have $Enemy, they kicked in the Big Brother mentality To Protect Us From $Enemy, Because The World Will Never Be The Same After Enemy beat us. So naive little pawns ... er, sorry, citizens, hunker down and put up with the intrusions, in the name of being patriotic to Help Beat Enemy.

So even if it spins out into this absurd "Almost Got Him, But He Got Away, Tune In Next Episode!" kind of melodrama, we can almost live with it if we are Making Progress. Oops. Turns out we were not even in the right country for the entire decade.

Then, wrapping back hoping to make my original point clearer, so a TRILLION DOLLARZ and a Pinky couldn't find Bin Laden, but sky help us if Anonymous defaces a web site! International coalition, get them Terrorists!

So what I'm grumpy about is not only did we waste a lot of money doing absolutely nothing, but we wasted parts of it destroying our freedoms in a colossal lie.