Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 01, 2014, 08:43:31 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Another Internet Cafe Death  (Read 2160 times)
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:21:59 PM »

Every so often it hits the news:

http://www.smh.com.au/dig...olice-20120206-1r0ck.html

A Taiwanese man died while playing video games at an internet cafe as dozens of other patrons carried on for hours afterwards apparently unaware that they were sitting near a corpse, according to police.

The 23-year-old checked in at the cafe in New Taipei city on Tuesday night last week and was found dead but still sitting rigidly on a chair with his hands stretched out the following night by a waitress, police said.

The waitress last saw him talking on the phone around noon on Wednesday and his body had apparently been sitting there for up to nine hours without any of the 30 other people in the cafe noticing.

And every time, it's stunning.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:15:27 PM »

Do you mean this is such a common occurrence in Taiwan that it's too mundane to report?

Personally, I'd like to know what game he was playing.....I know a few people I'd like to send it to  Evil

Four wheel drive: Helping you get stuck faster, harder, further from help...........and it's no different on this forum Evil
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »

Do you mean this is such a common occurrence in Taiwan that it's too mundane to report?

Personally, I'd like to know what game he was playing.....I know a few people I'd like to send it to  Evil

I remember I used to read about these incidents at least once a year, but I was living in Korea then. IIRC, they were always in Taiwan and Korea.

Very little news hits the MSM in English. It's usually the same 3 stories hyped for several months until a new hypeable story rears its head.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:46:35 AM »

according to the reports here, the poison is WoW..

http://www.taipeitimes.co...ves/2012/02/04/2003524636

Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 06:44:59 AM »

What kind of cafe leaves a patron unattended for 9 hours?? ...Somebody's not getting a tip.
Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 10:53:41 AM »

Asia is not big on tipping. After all you're supposed to do your job and be nice to customers, that's not something which deserves a tip.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
nosh
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 11:45:24 AM »

^ relevant smiley (NSFW for language)

My favorite line at 00:48. Grin
Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »

From what I've been able to gather, it's a combination of susceptibility (pre-disposition to heart attack, stroke, etc.), dehydration, and sedentation (I just made that up; means sitting for long periods of time), and one more element...
What wraps it up in this case is the perceived danger that you get regularly when playing FPS's, MUD's, MORPG's causes stresses that you internalize because even though your eyes tell your brain that you're being shot at, chased, and lit on fire, you know it's not real... but your subconscious doesn't know that.

So take somebody prone to kick early, distract him so forget he needs water to survive, let him sit in a chair for hours on end, and then terrify him subliminally and *snap*... dead customer.

It's a theory, anyways...  embarassed

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 02:44:14 AM »

Maybe we all have a predisposed susceptibility to death...
kyrathaba
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Honorary Member

while(! dead_horse){beat}

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:14:16 PM »

Maybe we all have a predisposed susceptibility to death...

There's one certain death preventative: common black pepper. My sons just roll their eyes when I make this claim, but I've been ingesting small amounts of black pepper a couple times a week for several years, and so far have had no close calls with Death, which obviously proves my point.

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit-SP1 AMD Athlon II X2 220 Socket AM3 (938) @ 2.1GHz 6GB RAM Firefox 26.0
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm fighting against patent trolls. Join me and tell your representative to support the #SHIELDAct: https://eff.org/r.b6JJ /via @EFF

My DC page: http://kyrathaba.dcmembers.com | My blog: http://williambryanmiller.com/ | Proofreading Service: http://bit.ly/1fQSqQP

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.044s | Server load: 0.3 ]