ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is WinZip still worth updating?

<< < (8/15) > >>

oblivion:
I seem to have opened a can of worms...  ;)

I'm always a little nervous about experimenting with too many archivers; my last serious experiment with Something New was a highly recommended freeware package called IZArc that, despite alleging Zip compatibility and all the rest of it, choked on an archive with several thousand files in it. Whatever I use, I want to be able to have complete trust in it...

The 7Zip engine seems reliable, although I dislike the interface. (It always seems to be more of a struggle to create archives than it should, somehow.) So I'll try jZip (in its "corporate with no extras" flavour) to see if it's a better interface to 7Zip than 7Zip's own, and there's a few others that probably deserve a look.

Does anyone know of a zipfile manager that can do something I've only ever found a straightforward way to do with ARJ -- archive all files from a folder that are more than x days old, preferably via a commandline version? (FreeArj is good but it doesn't look like it's ever going to be anything more than a nod to an archiver that used to be a lot more important than it's ever likely to be again... :(  )

Jibz:
Does anyone know of a zipfile manager that can do something I've only ever found a straightforward way to do with ARJ -- archive all files from a folder that are more than x days old, preferably via a commandline version? (FreeArj is good but it doesn't look like it's ever going to be anything more than a nod to an archiver that used to be a lot more important than it's ever likely to be again... :(  )
-oblivion (February 09, 2012, 04:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not a zipfile manager, but WinRAR has the -to option which processes files older than a specified period, for instance -to2d would process files older than 2 days.

Innuendo:
Things I do every day are generally archiving files as backups, for which I mostly use command-line archivers in batch files run from a scheduler.  What special features PowerArchiver do you need that aren't in other programs?-rjbull (February 08, 2012, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Keep in mind that I haven't kept up on the recent advances of other archivers, but when I made my purchase PowerArchiver was far and away the fastest of those I tested. The Explorer-integration is unmatched with everything you can possibly need in the context menu (you can add & remove to your tastes)and actually has aesthetically pleasing icon types for all your archives along with a very nice UI. That's a niggle, I know, but archiving programs are usually infamous for having very homely icons & a UI only a mother could love.

There's also functionality to email, burn, or FTP an archive without having to go through a ton of mouse-clicks. There's a backup scripting engine that will make short work of any backup jobs you might want to accomplish without having to resort to using the CLI, but there's a command-line component as well if you are interested.

What I believe to be a unique feature is a queue system that will, if you'd like, queue up numerous archive operations and work them in order so your hard drive isn't thrashing while you try to unarchive a dozen or so zip files all at once. Oh, lest I forget, there's also a preview panel that accepts Total Commander WCX plugins so it's extensible to recognizing more file types.

Of no use to me, but I'm sure it's important to others is Outlook integration and the international version has been translated into 20+ languages...not just the program, but the help file itself.

Something that they have been really excited about lately is they recently implemented a new auto-update system that will download the minimum amount of data needed to upgrade your install to the latest version. No more having to download the full installer unless you want to.

As of today's e-mail, still listed as "coming soon."
--- End quote ---

Today's the day. $13.98 for the English version & slightly higher for the International version. Lifetime updates.

Innuendo:
One thing that WinZip has that no other zip tool has (that I'm aware of), is the checkout feature.-NigelH (February 07, 2012, 07:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW, Nigel, PowerArchiver has the Checkout feature as well. Used to be every archiver in the land had that feature, but it seems it has gone the way of the dodo.

rjbull:
[...] There's a backup scripting engine that will make short work of any backup jobs you might want to accomplish without having to resort to using the CLI, but there's a command-line component as well if you are interested.

What I believe to be a unique feature is a queue system [...] a preview panel that accepts Total Commander WCX plugins so it's extensible to recognizing more file types.
Today's the day. $13.98 for the English version & slightly higher for the International version. Lifetime updates.
-Innuendo (February 09, 2012, 09:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks, Innuendo!  As Queen Elizabeth the First said about taking a bath twice a year, "Whether We hath need of it or no," I pressed the button  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version