ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is WinZip still worth updating?

<< < (7/15) > >>

rjbull:
I haven't tried it, but just came across Bigspeed Zipper, which is rather old, but free and has some interesting features.

* Quick file compression and extraction with several clicks only
    You have 2 "explorers" on the main window. The first one on the left shows the files and folders on your computer, just like the Windows Explorer does. And the second one on the right shows the files and folders in the opened zip package. To compress files, just select them in the left pane and press the button with the right arrow. To extract files, just select them in the right pane and press the button with left arrow.
* Open zip archives on web servers
    This COOL feature lets you view and extract the contents of zip packages before starting the download from HTTP servers. Actually you can open zip archives remotely on web sites as if they are local files on your computer. In that way you can save a lot of your time and bandwidth avoiding the download of unnecessary zip files.
* Search for files and text in files inside zip packages
* Simultaneous downloading and viewing of zip packages' contents
* Compressed backups to FTP server or disk drive
* Automate zip compression operations
* Integration with Windows Explorer and Windows shell
* Upload zip packages to FTP servers
* Send zip packages via E-Mail
* Create self-extracting packages
* Split/Join zip package to user defined file size
* Repair damaged zip packages
* No 4GB file size limit
--- End quote ---

Innuendo:
I have registered copies of Total Commander (thanks to DC), Directory Opus, WinRAR (thanks to DC, again!), and I always return to PowerArchiver and has features not found in any other archiver program. I archive/unarchive a LOT of stuff every day & no other tool is as efficient based on my workflow.

It sports a lifetime license & it's also FIPS 140-2 certified if you're in a position that requires such.

BitsDuJour is supposed to have their flagship product on sale for a pittance coming soon.

rjbull:
I always return to PowerArchiver and has features not found in any other archiver program. I archive/unarchive a LOT of stuff every day & no other tool is as efficient based on my workflow.-Innuendo (February 08, 2012, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
Things I do every day are generally archiving files as backups, for which I mostly use command-line archivers in batch files run from a scheduler.  What special features PowerArchiver do you need that aren't in other programs?

BitsDuJour is supposed to have their flagship product on sale for a pittance coming soon.-Innuendo (February 08, 2012, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
As of today's e-mail, still listed as "coming soon."

mokucax:
I don't think WinZip it is worth updating unless you have a very old version. I am suing ZipGenius which is free and can do most stuff that WinZip does, for a home user is good enough.

hulkbuster:
I am using Winrar and Winzip 15 and the commandline program too that is in their website and i like using the commandline version of Winzip although it can be used only after version 13, i noticed Winzip performed more better if not in a fraction or in a few and i mean few marginal scale while compressining the pictures and opened files , where as Winrar performed much better while compressing single Setup.exe and mp3 files no matter how big the file size was.
I have made a batch file for both the programs and i like both of these program and 7Zip is my new addition to my tool and sometime in most of the cases 7Zip performed exponentially well then Winrar and Winzip and although i don't like its ugly interface it really does compresses more than Winrar and Winzip and i am using this to compress only huge files like something around 1 or 3 or 4 GB of data and what do you know it compresses and gets the job done.

I have made a batch file for this too, but back to the question wanting to update Winzip , i think its only a personnel choice since new Winzip supports rar, 7zip , iso and whole new list of extension.

--- ---But the new Zip files made by Winzip 14 or 15 or later cannot be extracted by Winrar i already checked and double checked don't know why but may be it is made that way(i know very clearly that Winrar used to extract the zip extension quire easily). But 7zip can be extracted by Winrar and don't know about the zip extension.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version