ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is WinZip still worth updating?

<< < (5/15) > >>

rjbull:
now use 7zip for everything. [...] About the only complaint I have with it is there's no button or link so I can send it's developers a contribution.-40hz (February 07, 2012, 08:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's funny; I donated, several years ago, and got a nice (and slightly surprised-sounding) e-mail from Igor.

Most of the time I use the archiving functions built into Total Commander, calling the registered version of WinRAR for RAR archive making, if required.  TC has plugins that support 7z and other formats (you need the archivers themselves, of course).

rjbull:
If you have 7-zip, or a possibly somewhat better-looking (though that's subjective) free alternative like PeaZip-Ath (February 07, 2012, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think jZip is largely meant to be a better interface for 7-zip.  From jZip FAQ:
9. What is the difference between 7-Zip and jZip?
7-zip offers a state of the art compression engine. It's a good application and this is why we decided to use 7-Zip as our underlying compression engine.

We created jZip for users who feel they want the same kind of compression capabilities offered by 7-zip but in an easier more streamlined user interface. We have spent significant time designing a sleek user interface that lets you to easily use the underlying compression engine.

jZip is about offering a robust compression and archiving application that's easy to use. Something similar to WinZip, but totally FREE. We are currently working on the next jZip version that will offer additional features that will make it standout, not just as a free application, but also as the best one around.
--- End quote ---

Ath:
You'd better be aware jZip installs (or tries to install) add-ons, set your browser homepage and add a search-toolbar. :-\
Read here the how-to for reset/remove/uninstall

40hz:
You'd better be aware jZip installs (or tries to install) add-ons, set your browser homepage and add a search-toolbar. :-\
Read here the how-to for reset/remove/uninstall
-Ath (February 07, 2012, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Supposedly there's a corporate version of the installer that does not include those add-ons if you go to the download page.

The installer for the corporate version weighs in at 3063 Kb versus 6768 Kb for the regular installer. Looks like something's been left out. :)

wraith808:
It's not that I mind paying for good software, but this is an area that has been "developed out" in my book, there is nothing that adds value over the free alternatives anymore, so paying yearly feels a bit like throwing away money.
-Jibz (February 07, 2012, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

^ this.  I still have my old sub to winzip that my wife uses, but I use 7-zip and directory opus' built in zip.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version